Diet Soda's and Metabolic rate

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    diet soda's are good at being calorie free but it's like drinking poison, years ago i used to drink diet coke everyday and it was so addicting i could drink a 12 pack in one day, i stopped drinking it and had awful migraines. so now i drink perrier, it has the fizz without the other crap.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReYcCj3i_GlFC5oaUckiGhVEwB_zkvTyyRiMEAZJoe9nB5p2tE3g
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Diet sodas have nothing to do with your metabolism. If anything, if they contain caffeine (coke zero does), they will slightly temporarily raise your resting metabolic rate.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Went to a nutritionist years ago who told me that BOTH sugar and artificial sweeteners increase your appetite.
    Where are the studies on this?

One study was carried out by a team at Yale University, and published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1555133

National Institute of Health (NIH)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21255472
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    It won't hinder your weight loss, and certainly won't poison you. lol!! I drink diet ginger ale and Coke Zero all the time and it hasn't done a thing to my metabolic rate.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

I am scientifically challenged, so I might be reading this wrong, but I am pretty sure that this means artificial sweeteners did NOT increase the appetite.

"In contrast, equisweet loads of AS did not affect gastrointestinal peptide secretion with minimal effects on appetite."
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Went to a nutritionist years ago who told me that BOTH sugar and artificial sweeteners increase your appetite.

One study was carried out by a team at Yale University, and published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

If you're going to link a ncbi study, at least have the decency to give a link to something more than just the abstract. Great, that's what they were going to study but what was the CONCLUSION of the study.

And from the abstract: "In contrast, equisweet loads of AS did not affect gastrointestinal peptide secretion with minimal effects on appetite."

So how did you think this study was going to support your assertion?
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Personally I stopped drinking diet soda because it had a bad effect on me. I found that I craved a lot more junk food and it gave me seriously bad migraines. But it does depend on the person (as seen in this thread where plenty of people have no issues).
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

If you're going to link a ncbi study, at least have the decency to give a link to something more than just the abstract. Great, that's what they were going to study but what was the CONCLUSION of the study.

And from the abstract: "In contrast, equisweet loads of AS did not affect gastrointestinal peptide secretion with minimal effects on appetite."

Here is a link to the full study.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayFulltext?type=6&fid=8266997&jid=BJN&volumeId=105&issueId=09&aid=8266996&bodyId=&membershipNumber=&societyETOCSession=&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S000711451000512X

Here is the conclusions of the study summarized by the authors

"Conclusions
    Sweet taste detection via T1R2+T1R3 is suggested to be one potential mechanism by which glucose is sensed in gut enteroendocrine cells to trigger peptide secretion. Here, we demonstrate that equisweet solutions of either glucose, fructose or AS have different effects on gut peptide secretion: only glucose potently stimulates the secretion of GLP-1 and PYY and decreases ghrelin; in contrast, fructose is much less effective and AS have no effect. We infer from these observations that sweetness per se is not sufficient to stimulate the secretion of these peptides in humans. "

In otherwords they concluded that glucose is sweet and filling while artificial sweeteners are sweet and not filling. Of course the finding that something with no calories doesn't make you feel full probably surprises no one. No where in their conclusions do they say that artificial sweeteners increase your appetite, what they are saying is that if you eat sugar your appetite goes down while if you eat artificial sweetners it has no effect on appetite. Therefore you could twist this to say that relatively speaking artificial sweeteners will give you a higher appetite than the equivalent sweetness of glucose but to change that to say artificial sweeteners give you a bigger appetite on the basis of this study is disingenuous and misleading.

I haven't read the actual study other than the authors conclusions so I can't say much more.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayFulltext?type=6&fid=8266997&jid=BJN&volumeId=105&issueId=09&aid=8266996&bodyId=&membershipNumber=&societyETOCSession=&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S000711451000512X

"Conclusions
    Sweet taste detection via T1R2+T1R3 is suggested to be one potential mechanism by which glucose is sensed in gut enteroendocrine cells to trigger peptide secretion. Here, we demonstrate that equisweet solutions of either glucose, fructose or AS have different effects on gut peptide secretion: only glucose potently stimulates the secretion of GLP-1 and PYY and decreases ghrelin; in contrast, fructose is much less effective and AS have no effect. We infer from these observations that sweetness per se is not sufficient to stimulate the secretion of these peptides in humans. "

In otherwords they concluded that glucose is sweet and filling while artificial sweeteners are sweet and not filling. Of course the finding that something with no calories doesn't make you feel full probably surprises no one. No where in their conclusions do they say that artificial sweeteners increase your appetite, what they are saying is that if you eat sugar your appetite goes down while if you eat artificial sweetners it has no effect on appetite. Therefore you could twist this to say that relatively speaking artificial sweeteners will give you a higher appetite than the equivalent sweetness of glucose but to change that to say artificial sweeteners give you a bigger appetite on the basis of this study is disingenuous and misleading.

I haven't read the actual study other than the authors conclusions so I can't say much more.

Wow, thank you for this!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    At any rate, appetite increasing is subjective so this again boils down to: If you are on of those people for whom diet sodas cause increased appetite ( when you do not want your appetite increased) or cravings or migraines or any other 'side effect' then don't consume them.

But just like other foods cause allergic effects in some people, this does not mean they are not fine for everyone else.

In my case, diet sodas cause no ill effects at all, so I have no intention of stopping my consumption of them.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    diet soda's are good at being calorie free but it's like drinking poison, years ago i used to drink diet coke everyday and it was so addicting i could drink a 12 pack in one day, i stopped drinking it and had awful migraines. so now i drink perrier, it has the fizz without the other crap.
    What crap? What poison?
    Haven't you heard about CHEMICALS????? :mad:

I'm all in for this one. Is that aspartame sticky still on the main page?
    Your reaction is very interesting. :wink: There's a difference between not wanting to drink/eat something because you don't like whatever they put in in and saying it's poison.

Do you mean these?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary (Pt 1)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1323720-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary (Pt 2)

I'm not a big aspartame fan due to how it makes me feel, but I am pretty sure there are no more chemical than many things out there on the market that we ingest.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    I drink plenty of Diet Coke every day and having lost 82 lbs so far, I think it is obvious it has no affect.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member

"Conclusions

Cool thanks for that. Pretty much sums up what I thought; that as of yet there isn't any conclusive evidence that aspartame increases appetite
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I am a big diet cola fan. I never drink soda, but when I do it's a coke zero. I only recently started getting on this kick of craving it (Because it's free at work). I was wondering if drinking too much diet soda's (well artificial sweeteners in general) will hinder my weight loss? I heard many mixed things about it, and I have well over 5 packets of equal a day for my 2-3 coffee's and 1-2 coke zeros.
    I'm going to tell you the truth.

Everyone is different. Everyone responds differently to different chemicals. There may be absolutely no impact on you drinking a dozen cans of Coke Zero while for someone else there may be a big impact. The important thing to do is test it out and determine for yourself whether or not Coke Zero is having an impact on you. Not necessarily your metabolic rate, but the whole you.

I, personally, cannot have aspartame or sucralose or AceK as there is a chemical reaction in my body that gives me headaches. The severity of the headache is an indication of how much of the artificial sweetener I have consumed. Other people can drink it with no side effects. For every (what did that one commenter call it?) "peer reviewed" article saying that there is no impact I can find a corresponding article that says artificial sweeteners do have an impact. It depends on what you are trying to measure and the people in the experiment.

If you have a concern do a controlled experiment, try it yourself and make the right decision for you.

Basic biochemistry is the same for all humans within a narrow range unless they have a medical issue which causes a different biochemical reaction. Our bodies do not work differently except for outliers with abnormalities.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    I am a big diet cola fan. I never drink soda, but when I do it's a coke zero. I only recently started getting on this kick of craving it (Because it's free at work). I was wondering if drinking too much diet soda's (well artificial sweeteners in general) will hinder my weight loss? I heard many mixed things about it, and I have well over 5 packets of equal a day for my 2-3 coffee's and 1-2 coke zeros.

Aspartame should be illegal. Aspartame is turned into a compound that is used to help preserve bodies for the funneral. And when you drink aspartame your body converts aspartame into the compound. You're drinking poison when it comes to aspartame. I stopped getting these awful migraines when I stopped drinking anything with aspartame in it.

your call but personally for me, I wouldn't be caught dead drinking the stuff
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member

Aspartame should be illegal. Aspartame is turned into a compound that is used to help preserve bodies for the funneral. And when you drink aspartame your body converts aspartame into the compound. You're drinking poison when it comes to aspartame. I stopped getting these awful migraines when I stopped drinking anything with aspartame in it.

Riiiiiight,
  • SnuggleSmacks

Formaldehyde? Really? Do you even know how thoroughly that myth has been debunked already, for years now?
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member

Keep on trolling
    troll-award_fb_330925.jpg
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member

Keep on trolling

It's giving my opinion it's not considered trolling

I'm allergic to it, it does make me sick and I pass out for fourteen hours. I simply stopped consuming anything with aspatame in it
  • SnuggleSmacks

Keep on trolling

It's giving my opinion it's not considered trolling

I'm allergic to it, it does make me sick and I pass out for fourteen hours. I simply stopped consuming anything with aspatame in it

So, you're saying that peanuts and shellfish should be illegal? Because some people die from their allergies to those things, which, to me, is far worse than passing out for 14 hours.