Diet Soda's and Metabolic rate

Options

Replies

• Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I am a big diet cola fan. I never drink soda, but when I do it's a coke zero. I only recently started getting on this kick of craving it (Because it's free at work). I was wondering if drinking too much diet soda's (well artificial sweeteners in general) will hinder my weight loss? I heard many mixed things about it, and I have well over 5 packets of equal a day for my 2-3 coffee's and 1-2 coke zeros.

Aspartame should be illegal. Aspartame is turned into a compound that is used to help preserve bodies for the funneral. And when you drink aspartame your body converts aspartame into the compound. You're drinking poison when it comes to aspartame. I stopped getting these awful migraines when I stopped drinking anything with aspartame in it.

your call but personally for me, I wouldn't be caught dead drinking the stuff
    Keep on trolling
    troll-award_fb_330925.jpg

It's giving my opinion it's not considered trolling

I'm allergic to it, it does make me sick and I pass out for fourteen hours. I simply stopped consuming anything with aspatame in it
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I am a big diet cola fan. I never drink soda, but when I do it's a coke zero. I only recently started getting on this kick of craving it (Because it's free at work). I was wondering if drinking too much diet soda's (well artificial sweeteners in general) will hinder my weight loss? I heard many mixed things about it, and I have well over 5 packets of equal a day for my 2-3 coffee's and 1-2 coke zeros.

Aspartame should be illegal. Aspartame is turned into a compound that is used to help preserve bodies for the funneral. And when you drink aspartame your body converts aspartame into the compound. You're drinking poison when it comes to aspartame. I stopped getting these awful migraines when I stopped drinking anything with aspartame in it.

Keep on trolling

I'm allergic to it, it does make me sick and I pass out for fourteen hours. I simply stopped consuming anything with aspatame in it

So, you're saying that peanuts and shellfish should be illegal? Because some people die from their allergies to those things, which, to me, is far worse than passing out for 14 hours.
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is turned into a compound that is used to help preserve bodies for the funneral. And when you drink aspartame your body converts aspartame into the compound.

But according to your logic your very last drink will be lots of "the stuff" :wink:
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't want to make a slippery-slope argument, but I drank diet coke constantly since I was a child and only stopped recently - and I've read that it can cause certain cancers like lymphoma and leukemia. Lo and behold, I was diagnosed with Lymphoma last year. Of course, that doesn't mean much, but I have wondered if that could have been a factor for the cancer - though, a lot of my chemo nurses drank diet coke, so who knows, haha.

Here's a legitimate page on aspartame and the known bad side effects: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame
    Essentially, there are a lot of rumors concerning its safety and many people complain about it, but there aren't any real hard conclusive studies that link health problems to aspartame.

I don't like drinking diet coke much anymore, however, because I feel like my body craves the calories that the soda should have had. Additionally, they're so addicting! And I don't want to end up habitually drinking it when I could be drinking water. But like all processed crap, I say enjoy it in moderation. I absolutely believe a lot of the negative hype around aspartame is just rumors and fear mongering, because all reputable websites agree that there are no known dangers of it.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Doesn't affect me, I say go for it...

Enjoy!

Food cravings? Really? A drink that does that...

Don't believe that hype, I drink coke zero constantly and I can bet in one week I eat far far less than what most of you guys have in 2 days...

If it increased my appetite, then why am I not hungry? Why am I going to a psychiatric ward for treatment because of the non eating and a few other issues?

Just drink it, be happy, and enjoy life, it's not worth this... It's not worth the obsessive calorie counts and training etc...

If it works for you, then do it. Enjoy ^_^

----

Also to note, everyone dies of something, it's the journey that counts.

What's better? Living happy and doing what you want? Or doing as others tell you and living life miserably and dying miserable because you couldn't have or do what you wanted... Just because of some overreacting idiots...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

Hmmm, I seem to remember that consumption of citrus fruits also causes the formation of formaldehyde in the body. But just like diet soda, the amount is SO LOW, it's insignificant.
    What the science says
    While it is true that aspartame does break down into methanol then formaldehyde, it actually happens much more in fruit juices (about 2x in a banana, or 6x in an 8oz glass of tomato juice2). Gold attempts to address this in item 4, but simply waves his hand as an explanation for why it can be ignored. The fact is that it simply is not enough to do anything and your body easily disposes of it.

http://whatdoesthesciencesay.wordpress.com/2010/06/13/aspartame-and-formaldehyde/
    Drinking diet soda for over 25 years now, I should be a zombie.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Keep on trolling

You say you are allergic to it therefore it should be illegal and is poison and that isn't trolling? Riiiiight...
  • shmerek
    Options
    I don't want to make a slippery-slope argument, but I drank diet coke constantly since I was a child and only stopped recently - and I've read that it can cause certain cancers like lymphoma and leukemia. Lo and behold, I was diagnosed with Lymphoma last year. Of course, that doesn't mean much, but I have wondered if that could have been a factor for the cancer - though, a lot of my chemo nurses drank diet coke, so who knows, haha.

Here's a legitimate page on aspartame and the known bad side effects: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame
    Essentially, there are a lot of rumors concerning its safety and many people complain about it, but there aren't any real hard conclusive studies that link health problems to aspartame.

I don't like drinking diet coke much anymore, however, because I feel like my body craves the calories that the soda should have had. Additionally, they're so addicting! And I don't want to end up habitually drinking it when I could be drinking water. But like all processed crap, I say enjoy it in moderation. I absolutely believe a lot of the negative hype around aspartame is just rumors and fear mongering, because all reputable websites agree that there are no known dangers of it.
    Just some text from the link you provided:

Many studies have looked for health effects in lab animals fed aspartame, often in doses higher than 4,000 mg/kg per day over their lifetimes. These studies have not found any health problems that are consistently linked with aspartame.

Two studies published by a group of Italian researchers suggested that very high doses of aspartame might increase the risk of some blood-related cancers (leukemias and lymphomas) in rats. However, both the FDA and the EFSA have called these results into question, citing a lack of some important data in the published studies and other concerns.
  • UKTexan
    UKTexan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There are conflicting studies about the safety of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners. Personally, I found that drinking diet sodas with or without food made my blood sugar drop REALLY low. Caffeine can spike your blood sugar as well, and in this case I think the combination of caffeine and aspartame messed my body up. That said, I would get huge diet soda cravings for days after drinking one, even though I knew I didn't want it. Don't know what that was about.

Of course, this was before I started eating more consciously and exercising regularly, and I was having some debilitating blood sugar problems. I'd say I'd be interested to see what would happen now, but I know I'm still very sensitive to caffeine. Even a cup of green tea makes me jittery. That said, I don't necessarily trust food studies sponsored by large food corporations. I'll keep my consumption of artificial sweeteners down to a minimum.
  • Falcon
    Options

Keep on trolling

You say you are allergic to it therefore it should be illegal and is poison and that isn't trolling? Riiiiight...

do you even know the definition of what trolling means?
  • shmerek
    Options

do you even know the definition of trolling means?
    Yup. Posting outlandish bull**** in order elicit a response. Your post hit the mark dead on. Also, if you "opinion" is that aspartame is poison you are wrong, It isn't.
  • Falcon
    Options
    I'm entitled to my opinion and beliefs and you're entitled to yours,

My 2 cents
  • shmerek
    Options
    I'm entitled to my opinion and beliefs and you're entitled to yours,

My 2 cents
    If your opinions that it is poison you are wrong regardless of what you believe and the last thing people need on this site is misinformation.
  • Falcon
    Options
    people have a choice to believe it or not.
  • shmerek
    Options
    people have a choice to believe it or not.
    Yes and they and you would still be wrong and you would still be spreading disinformation. If you have any evidence to backup your claims by all means present it otherwise offering an uninformed misleading opinion is just bad form. Following your logic believing something = fact. Ummm.... no
  • CandyMouse
    CandyMouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Many , way too many times in the past, I drank a 12 pack of canned diet colas in a day. I always thought it helped..but def not good for you otherwise. Diet Rite Cola...:heart: ... has NO sodium..so won't cause water gain. :smile:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda will not affect your metabolic rate in any way shape or form. There are PEER-REVIEWED STUDIES in my post history you can go get if you want to see exactly what affects your metabolic rate.
    Hold on brb, checking post history.

Oh wait........no one can check your post history if your page is set to private.

"PEER REVIEWED STUDIES"

Your memory serves you well MrM :drinker:
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking Diet Coke throughout my weight loss, and it hasn't hindered anything. I drink the equivalent of about 3 cans per day most days. Generally I stop around noon and switch to water mixed with some crystal light. I just don't like plain water.

I am definitely addicted to the caffeine and get withdrawal headaches if I go without. I am also prone to migraines and when I feel one coming on I actually drink a Diet Coke to help. The aspartame is not a migraine trigger for me.

I am also a type 2 diabetic and I do not find it affects my blood sugar.

Just remember everyone's body is a little different. What works for one person might not work the same for someone else. If you are really concerned, try removing it from your diet for a month without changing anything else about your diet/exercise. Then see how you feel and if you lose more or less.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    Many , way too many times in the past, I drank a 12 pack of canned diet colas in a day. I always thought it helped..but def not good for you otherwise. Diet Rite Cola...:heart: ... has NO sodium..so won't cause water gain. :smile:

but all sodas, diet or regular, don't contain more sodium than most foods.

Examples
    Pepsi max - 14 mg per 100ml
    Unsweetened blackcurrant juice - 10 mg per 100 ml
    Low fat milk - 47 mg per 100 ml
    Thousand island dressing - 950 mg per 100 ml
    Honey - 15 mg per 100 ml

Now I realize these amounts will differ between brands but that is just random selection - the brands that happened to be in my house tonight.
    But you can see sodium in diet soda is not huge, compared to other common liquids - for ease of comparison I used all liquids as all are per 100 ml.

If you don't want to drink soda - don't. But the sodium content is really not an issue.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this thread is already past this (sorry, didn't read), but there's nothing wrong with drinking diet soda.

That being said, I love Diet Coke, but try to limit myself to one a day. Sometimes not even that. I limit it due to it staining my teeth and I don't handle too much caffeine well. One is about my limit for caffeine before I start shaking.

ETA: It does help me if I have an upset stomach or have a migraine coming on. So I drink it for medicinal purposes too. ;)