Can't get smaller when weight training

Options
1235»

Replies

• KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience... After researching some, I thought the best way to lose fat/weight was to stop so much cardio and just focus on lifting (and BARELY any cardio). I didn't realize how little calories I was actually burning, but still eating like I was doing 45 min of cardio everyday. I ended up gaining weight and BF % over the course of 3 months, all while still lifting regularly and eating healthy. Very depressing...couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong up until about 3 months ago... I was eating too much!! Figured out realistically what I was burning while lifting, adding more cardio to help the deficit and then ate accordingly. Lost 9.5 lbs in 2 1/2 months that wasn't moving before... Just need to figure out your correct deficit!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You are burning fat but building muscle. Cardio is best to shred fat. Weight training does burn it off as well but is usually replaced by muscle if using heavy weights. Remember...muscle weighs more than fat

No. You can't build muscle while in a deficit.

Please explain that to the 1/2 inch I have gained on my arms and the 1/4 inch I have gained on my chest while being lower on my cal intake. As well as the inch I have lost on my waist.

tumblr_m89pbdAbvc1r5hm2z.gif
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You are burning fat but building muscle. Cardio is best to shred fat. Weight training does burn it off as well but is usually replaced by muscle if using heavy weights. Remember...muscle weighs more than fat

Please explain that to the 1/2 inch I have gained on my arms and the 1/4 inch I have gained on my chest while being lower on my cal intake. As well as the inch I have lost on my waist.

And the judgmental prick of the year goes to.....(drum roll) RGv2. Give advice to try to help people not try to be a d*ck. I was saying what I have noticed with myself. That's what a lot of people on here do. I could be wrong and have no problem admitting that. Once again tho explain it to my gains while in a deficit. I'm not here to debate. Only here for advice not negative criticism. Correct me if I'm wrong.... Cardio burns fat better than weight training. Weight training builds muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • anglergirl3
    anglergirl3 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Um...no.

You literally just told a female with less than 20lbs to lose that she's burning fat and building muscle........at a rate that is keeping her the same size. That is virtually impossible.

Cardio isn't the way to "shred fat". Diet with a regimen of some cardio and weight training is how you shred fat. To "shred fat" you need some sort of overload weight training program to maintain your muscle mass that would otherwise be lost through your deficit.

Op, yes you could be retaining water, but if you're not getting smaller it's because you're probably eating right at maintenance...or over. If you were truly under TDEE you would be getting smaller, no matter the exercise.

Excellent input - Thank you!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

And the judgmental prick of the year goes to.....(drum roll) RGv2. Give advice to try to help people not try to be a d*ck. I was saying what I have noticed with myself. That's what a lot of people on here do. I could be wrong and have no problem admitting that. Once again tho explain it to my gains while in a deficit. I'm not here to debate. Only here for advice not negative criticism. Correct me if I'm wrong.... Cardio burns fat better than weight training. Weight training builds muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.

If you read the thread, I actually did advise the OP with
    Op, yes you could be retaining water, but if you're not getting smaller it's because you're probably eating right at maintenance...or over. If you were truly under TDEE you would be getting smaller, no matter the exercise.

Cardio burns calories, yes, weight training burns calories, yes. Cardio burns fat better than weight training, false. Weight training builds muscle..false.

You're not here to debate, just to give scientifically proven incorrect information?

Can you build miniscule muscle in a deficit....sure. Your diet has to be completely spot on and the deficit needs to be within about 5% of TDEE. It's called a recomp, and takes a lot of time and an insane amount of work. Now, a way lifting is as good for burning fat. When a person eats at a deficit they lose water, fat, and lean body mass. When you lift while in that deficit you work to RETAIN that body mass (muscle) so you lose mostly just fat an water, thus "shredding fat".

And I'll stand by this statement "You literally just told a female with less than 20lbs to lose that she's burning fat and building muscle........at a rate that is keeping her the same size. That is virtually impossible."

If you don't want to argue, that's fine, but be prepared that statements that are myth, won't help the OP, and have been proven to be false (especially in this context) will be corrected.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone else who has issues with maintaining a caloric deficit while weight training?

No.

It's very simple. Eat less than you burn.

Stop making excuses.

This! ^^

I do both cardio (walking) and lifting and I am losing weight, though it's slow cause I am within a few pounds away from goal weight, eating 1600-1800 calories.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In for the fun.