Gym cardio is so boring!

Options

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    This is why I prefer jogging outside, even if the impact is worse (jogging on sidewalks). I jog in a pretty part of town and go with my father, so the scenery and the conversation keep me entertained.

I'd suggest trying a different form of cardio, or find a partner to talk to while you work out, if that's feasible.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Created yourself some Tabata workouts. You can be creative, mix and match different exercises, lower & upper body.

And it's 8 mins!!

You're welcome.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I plug my headphones into one of the TV channels…. the only time I get bored is during the commercials. As far as the boredom factor goes… I can go for hours on a treadmill. Honestly… it's the bikes that bore me. But that's just me.
  • thursby2
    thursby2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hate just walking in to gym and trying to get a great work out without direction so i do classes spin,circuits, Hiit and body pump. This for me takes the boredom out of it and its prob reason im still going to gym for 7 months :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Lindy Hop.

mentally stimulating, plenty of movement to get your heart rate up, plenty to laugh at, all round good exercise and social too.

why pound away on a treadmill if you aren't enjoying it?
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    For cardio I either do short HIIT dvds at home or I do group classes at the gym. I get incredibly bored if I try to do gym cardio on the treadmill etc.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Me too! This is why I don't do traditional cardio, heavy squats and Deadlifts have me sweating and burning calories like crazy. Also lifting weights burns more after a workout even when you're just sitting around than cardio does. So my opinion is if you don't like it, don't do it. There are ways to get good heart health and cardiovascular fitness through non traditional methods. If you still want to do cardio, hiit is quite good since you only need a fraction of the time that you'd need if you were just pedalling away on a stationary bike for an hour!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Try doing a session of tabata burpees or HIIT sprints then come back and tell us you get too bored...lol

ETA I do these outside not in the gym so win/win.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If hell were a real place it would be filled with treadmills.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how some people on this site do cardio for 1-2 hours! About once a week I can do an hour session on the stationary bike, but it's usually 30 minutes and I'm dying of boredom. I've tried music playlists, audiobooks, playing on my phone, and reading. I think it's slightly due to the fact that I have mild ADD but any helpful hints? Even walking outside or biking outside bores me.
    I do lift weights routinely and this is definitely better for me, however, I really need to burn off calories and hit the cardio.
    I'm glad you realize that cardio is the most efficient way to burn calories. But 30 min 5 x a week is sufficient to maintain your weight & get health benefits. You only need to do more than that if you want to lose weight.
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity. To maintain your weight: work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week."
    (The page explains moderate & vigorous.)
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
    [/quote]

I don't think you understand cardio. You keep posting those recommendations, but you fail to address what they really mean.

Moderate: While performing the physical activity, if your breathing and heart rate is noticeably faster but you can still carry on a conversation — it's probably moderately intense. Examples include—
    -Walking briskly (a 15-minute mile).
    -Light yard work (raking/bagging leaves or using a lawn mower).
    -Light snow shoveling.
    -Actively playing with children.
    -Biking at a casual pace.
    Vigorous: Your heart rate is increased substantially and you are breathing too hard and fast to have a conversation, it's probably vigorously intense. Examples include—
    -Jogging/running.
    -Swimming laps.
    -Rollerblading/inline skating at a brisk pace.
    -Cross-country skiing.
    -Most competitive sports (football, basketball, or soccer).
    -Jumping rope.

Someone can fill almost all their needs by jogging or running twice a week for 30 minutes. Calorie deficit is vital for weight loss, not exercise. Cardiovascular activity is important for heart and lung efficiency. Strength training is important for body composition and bone health. You keep telling people to do lots of cardio and when most people say cardio it means vigorous activity of which the guidelines you post say 75 minutes worth. If you're just telling people to go for a brisk walk 5x a week that's a totally different story. Running covers the suggestion in fewer days leaving more time for strength training (which is also suggested by the same site you keep posting, yet you leave those suggestions out).

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html
    1 hour and 15 minutes (75 minutes) of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity (i.e., jogging or running) every week and
    muscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms).
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Recommendations vary but most agree a combination of steady state and high intensity cardio is optimal. For the most part I do both outside and that keeps me from getting bored. I vary exercises and routines a lot.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Correction: Cardio is boring

Fixed it for you

different strokes for different folks. for me, there is nothing like a 60 mile bike ride to take in the scenery.

or a nice long run!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how some people on this site do cardio for 1-2 hours! About once a week I can do an hour session on the stationary bike, but it's usually 30 minutes and I'm dying of boredom. I've tried music playlists, audiobooks, playing on my phone, and reading. I think it's slightly due to the fact that I have mild ADD but any helpful hints? Even walking outside or biking outside bores me.

I do lift weights routinely and this is definitely better for me, however, I really need to burn off calories and hit the cardio.

So go outside. I don't set foot on gym cardio equipment unless I absolutely am forced to due to inclimate weather...very inclimate weather.

I ride a good 60 or so miles per week (when I'm training it's more) and I love it...nothing like watching the city go by on a bicycle. Then I hit the weight room a few nights per week.
  • Geloza
    Geloza Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in a gym in 15 years or something for mainly that reason! Boring!!!

I do my cardio in the early mornings outside and it's so nice. :smile:
  • XxCaz89xX
    XxCaz89xX Posts: 29
    Options
    Get outside into the fresh air for your cardio! Lovely first thing In the morning... get yourself a dog if you don't already have one :-)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Pick something you don't find boring.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Exercise does not have to be done in a gym. You can do things that are not 'traditional' cardio if you want. Martial Arts, playing a sport, going for a bike ride, dancing etc all increase energy expenditure and are good for your cardiovascular system - so is lifting weights. If you want to increase your energy expenditure, just going for a walk and taking the stairs more for example will help with that also.

I hate cardio so I do not do it so rely in calorie restriction and lifting for body composition (and lifting weights is also good for your cardiovascular system, among other things).

Find something you enjoy - it will give you longer term benefits.
  • Geloza
    Geloza Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    get yourself a dog if you don't already have one :-)

This ^^^

Love dogs! I have 3 German Shepherds. :love:
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My gym has 8 different TVs going with ear phone connections on the treadmills, so I just keep changing from station to station to keep from getting to bored and to feed into my ADD
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Get outside

Run or bike with a friend

Find something else that keeps your attention