Gym cardio is so boring!

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes. Go for a real bike ride. Or if you HAVE to do gym cardio bring a book (I sometimes do because of the daycare).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cardio is a valuable part of any well rounded fitness program.

Some people are training for endurance events- so the long hours are NEEDED.

Some people just don't know any better.

I personaly dislike doing hours of cardio- but I have- when I know I have a big food weekend coming- or long food days- or I had an 'expensive" calorie meal that week- or I just have nothing better to do than go home and sit around on a friday night- so yeah- I've done it.

I watch a TV show and just kind of do the damn thing. But mostly I just do 15-30 minutes and that is sufficient.
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree, that's why I don't do an hour of cardio. I stick to lifting and HIIT workouts of 20 minutes or less.

THIS! don't do cardio for an hour, go 30-40 minutes at a time, tops. HIIT is a great way to have shorter workouts with variety. I'm also a big fan of interval cardio - few minutes of walking with a minute of running. Playing with your heart rate is great.
  • Thinn2Winn
    Thinn2Winn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree that cardio can be boring at the gym on a piece of equipment. If you have a tablet and netflix or hulu I recommend finding a good TV show and watching an episode while working out. Then you'll do at least 42mins of cardio and the time will fly by as you'll be distracted by the show. Good luck.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    What is the point of hours of cardio a day? I do 10 minutes of cardio before my weights and an easy peasy 10 minute cool down after words. And then on my off strength days I'll do 20 minutes of cardio and thats it
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I walk 7 miles every day, except rest day and lift 5 days a week, but I enjoy it and I do everything at home, walking outside and my garage is my gym and I love it!! :smile:

Find something that works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Correction: Cardio is boring

Fixed it for you

different strokes for different folks. for me, there is nothing like a 60 mile bike ride to take in the scenery.

or a nice long run!

It's hard for me to imagine more boring voluntary activities than the two detailed above.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Cardio in the gym
    bl10-gym-treadmills-525x347.jpg

Cardio outside
    sunrise_runners.jpg

Any questions?
  • octomancer
    Options
    Agree with everyone who says cardio outside is much less boring. I cycle to and from work and it never gets old, from overtaking the traffic to not getting knocked off my bike, from trying to beat my best time to enjoying catching all the lights on green, from a slight sense of superiority as I go past the bus queue to overtaking as many other cyclists as possible, from enjoying my thighs getting better and better to playing with my aerobic threshhold ... ;-)

I run in the gym and I make it less boring by trying to increase with my stride length, by doing mental arithmetic with the time/calorie/distance counters and by mixing SMIT and LISS. It is difficult to keep it fresh though.
  • GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Music gets old after like 4 songs. I can't watch tv for too long,unless I am feeling lazy. I just go outside and jog...not on a track or any particular distance. I go to a hiking trail and run, jump, duck, dodge, and weave my way through some trees and boulders. At the bottom of said trail, there's a place to swim. Whenever I lived in a more wooded area, I would randomly wander off. If that's an option for you, you could have your walk/jog in no time. Pick up some outdoor sports. Go kayaking or hit up some people for a game of some sort: soccer, two hand touch, softball,paintball, laser tag. haha
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Created yourself some Tabata workouts. You can be creative, mix and match different exercises, lower & upper body.

And it's 8 mins!!

You're welcome.

I second this. Never sweated so much during cardio as I did when I found Tabata!! Plus it isn't boring.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how some people on this site do cardio for 1-2 hours! About once a week I can do an hour session on the stationary bike, but it's usually 30 minutes and I'm dying of boredom. I've tried music playlists, audiobooks, playing on my phone, and reading. I think it's slightly due to the fact that I have mild ADD but any helpful hints? Even walking outside or biking outside bores me.

I do lift weights routinely and this is definitely better for me, however, I really need to burn off calories and hit the cardio.

Do a HIIT ....its to hard to be boring....

500 meter Row as fast as you can
    100 Mountain climbers or Burpees(50)
    400yard run on the treadmill....(.25 of a mile)
    2 min rest...repeat 6 times

I will mix up different workouts like this....keeps it fresh
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    If hell were a real place it would be filled with treadmills.

LOL! Here it is:

611841_Planet_Fitness__292.jpg
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    MissHoliday you are fantastic LOL:laugh:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how some people on this site do cardio for 1-2 hours! About once a week I can do an hour session on the stationary bike, but it's usually 30 minutes and I'm dying of boredom. I've tried music playlists, audiobooks, playing on my phone, and reading. I think it's slightly due to the fact that I have mild ADD but any helpful hints? Even walking outside or biking outside bores me.

I do lift weights routinely and this is definitely better for me, however, I really need to burn off calories and hit the cardio.

OMG I knooowwww. But I disagree on one point; outdoor biking is much better. Now I know why chicks do cardio classes cuz the elliptical is boring as 'ell.

When I was at Planet fitness, they would have Law & order and other stuff on tv's. I mean, at least it grabbed me for 45 minutes. My new gym has BORING stupid sports on the tv's. ALL OF THEM!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    When I was doing a hour on the elliptical on second attempt I would just jam out on some tunes for six days a week.

I also did not mind the view in front of me sometimes.
  • lelyke
    lelyke Posts: 47
    Options
    Your gym should have WiFi, just save your favorite tv show for your cardio workouts or listen to music. I enjoy cardio a lot because I'm in my own world just thinking and working out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    The problematic approach is that the majority of people in the gym think cardio is for fat loss, when in truth it's just a cardiovascular exercise.
    Weight loss is ALWAYS going to be more about how much one consumes rather than how much cardio one is doing each day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If hell were a real place it would be filled with treadmills.

LOL! Here it is:

611841_Planet_Fitness__292.jpg

*shiver*
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

T nation articles LOL. I thought these were like taboo in MFP.