Everyday is Leg Day!!

Options
AtmaKing
AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
Oh yea, I'm going to piss some people off right there.

Anyways I got to thinking about people who hate squats and don't ever want to do legs and dread leg day. I then thought about myself and leg day and the realized, you know every day is leg day some are heavier than others but every day is and should be. Why you ask should be? What is the one thing you see most about older people? Wheelchairs, Yes I know there are a ton of factors in place that could put someone there and I'm not going to any of those issues. I'm strictly talking people who are more or less in good shape but can't walk for long periods because their legs are weak. The people who if they had stronger legs wouldn’t need such a device.

Your legs should be looked out for. Unless you don’t mind the wheelchair and the constant attention it may bring you because you are there, and don't forget the excellent parking spaces. I for one don't want to be that person. I want to be the 90 year old grandfather still rock climbing with my great grand kids.

So the next time you think about skipping leg day think about the long term. The next time you ask your son/daughter to get the remote on the other side of the room think about being confined to a chair always relying on someone. Standup, get up, squat, lunge, jump and make sure your legs are strong and healthy to carry you through the entirety of your life.

Replies

• accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I use my legs everyday for walking or cardio...but I only try to blast the muscles to shreds every 3rd day. Recovery. So I almost agree with you...or sort of do.

BL-okVDCMAA_Kcz.jpg
  • AtmaKing
    Options
    I use my legs everyday for walking or cardio...but I only try to blast the muscles to shreds every 3rd day. Recovery. So I almost agree with you...or sort of do.

BL-okVDCMAA_Kcz.jpg

Yea I only blast them a couple days out of the week myself.

Wonder if Superman did legs would he be less susceptible to Kryptonite?
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It's funny, because each place that I'm familiar with seems to have a "leg day" culture. At my college's gym and on MFP, many people seem to be aware of the importance of at least squats (not always deads, but people who lift at my school seem to at least do barbell squats).

However, at my gym at home, there is a group of men in their late 20s to early 40s that DO NOT do any leg exercises ever, but BP and OHP pretty decent weights. There are a few random squatting stragglers like me, but we're much rarer.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    BL-okVDCMAA_Kcz.jpg

That's great - LOL!

Nothing looks more ridiculous than a man with a muscular upper body and toothpicks for legs.
  • AtmaKing
    Options
    There are a few random squatting stragglers like me, but we're much rarer.

Things that are rare are worth more.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hahaha at the Superman pic, love that. I'll be keeping an eye out for those at the gym.

I actually really like leg exercises, and I've always been an active walker, so have good and strong legs. My upper body not so much, but I'm working on that. I think it's so important to set up for the future as well as you are able, and that includes maintaining your body.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've heard of a lot of people that work different parts of their legs everyday. The muscle group can handle it, and from what I've heard (although I don't claim to know as fact) is because its a massive muscle group, its great for releasing growth hormones to help with muscle growth throughout the body.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I used to have a dedicated leg day but now I do legs every other day with abs on the non-leg days.

I would like to get back to a dedicated leg day though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    It's not my best body part, but I like leg day. So much so, that I actually split up doing quads and hamstrings so I can make sure I put in a really good focused effort on both. My quads aren't huge (24"), but at least I don't look like a light bulb.
    For me the best time to do legs...............Monday because it's national bench day and the power racks are usually clear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AtmaKing
    Options
    It's not my best body part, but I like leg day. So much so, that I actually split up doing quads and hamstrings so I can make sure I put in a really good focused effort on both. My quads aren't huge (24"), but at least I don't look like a light bulb.
    For me the best time to do legs...............Monday because it's national bench day and the power racks are usually clear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

At PF (yes I've heard all the horror stories behind them and know free weights are better yada yada, sometimes you do what you can do) nobody is ever on them. So 5x5 has been nice to me, well until I get a little further and drop a deadlift. However don't try and get your cardio in there.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I LOVE leg day!
    I HATE Arm day !!
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've heard of a lot of people that work different parts of their legs everyday. The muscle group can handle it, and from what I've heard (although I don't claim to know as fact) is because its a massive muscle group, its great for releasing growth hormones to help with muscle growth throughout the body.

I think the problem comes from the fact that when you are recovering your legs, you feel it a lot more than say chest, arms, or shoulders. You have to still walk around in those legs and that day after leg day feels like hell to walk.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

I think the problem comes from the fact that when you are recovering your legs, you feel it a lot more than say chest, arms, or shoulders. You have to still walk around in those legs and that day after leg day feels like hell to walk.

I dont even get this. Ive read that low resistance leg work can help alleviate DOMS and improve recovery. Im a pretty avid cyclist. Even lifting at my 3-5RM I still feel just fine. Perhaps its just how I respond to heavy lifting. High rep work (20+) is still kinda debilitating. Even doing 50 reps at 70% 1RM still didnt cause DOMS. I credit my cycling. My worst DOMS was on vacation doing sets of 25 goblet squats. 250 of those wrecked me.

Moral: Do some walking, cycling, or easy jogging
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you mean by leg day. I do a full body lifting routine for which I work legs, along with everything else 3x weekly...but I don't hit my legs any more than that in RE to pushing and pulling weight as time is needed for recovery.

I do use my legs everyday though for walking and cycling...if that's what you mean.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am doing a full body split so every day really is leg day. I love squats :love:

I also find that the more I work out certain muscle groups, the less DOMS I experience. I never get quad DOMS any more, but I squat 3 times a week. My hamstrings kill after deadlift day, but I only DL every other session, or 1-2 times a week.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Great alarmist marketing right there. You should do commercials.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you mean by leg day. I do a full body lifting routine for which I work legs, along with everything else 3x weekly...but I don't hit my legs any more than that in RE to pushing and pulling weight as time is needed for recovery.

I do use my legs everyday though for walking and cycling...if that's what you mean.

This for me too...but yes I see it posted on my FB from a body builder friend of mine...UGH LEG DAY...which is friday...and it's funny his legs are good..but not nearly as "big" as his upper body.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    interesting...
  • kishstl
    kishstl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Also, for those looking to increase all around muscle mass, leg workouts provide a great boost in your body's natural growth hormones as your body's repsonse to large muscle group training is systemic.