124»

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Is this a real doctor or a "healer" or "shaman?" LOL

EDIT:
    I was feeling lethargic, tired, moody, poor concentration and bloated

Also, based on your symptoms I diagnose you as female.

Because a little misogyny is just what this thread needed.

7929da73022df67bf8e6ef092c671d0c.jpg

nothing like calling out misogyny with misandry.

[ img ] you-don't-know-what-it-means.gif [ / img ]

Ho ho, give it a thought... attacking a stereotype with another is precisely what was being called out. ;)

I did think about it, which is why I responded as I did.

Her gif was of ONE woman 'hating on' ONE man, and is NOT an example of misandry.
    Yours was clearly directed at ALL females.

But I'm guessing you were just trying to be funny. :smile:

Actually, my gif could be interpreted in more than one way, apparently. What I saw was a man acting in a very stereotypical fashion by oggling a woman's body in a blatantly objectifying manner, and the woman combating this objectification by making a derp face, thereby causing the man to stop his behavior. But I can see how it could be interpreted as the woman hating on a man...although, to me, she has good reason to be hating on this particular man and his groping eyeballs.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: @ groping eyeballs!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You do not need to go to that extreme.
    Just take a good probiotic, cut out refined sugars for a bit, limit fruit, stick to healthier carbs like wholegrain rice, vegetables and sweet potatoes, limit caffeine and that should be enough, if you really feel you have candida and need to take action.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I saw a new doctor in the beginning of this summer and she ordered various kinds of blood tests in order to see where my levels were at (vitamin d, b12, hormones, etc). When the results came back she found I was positive for candida overgrowth in my gut as well as what she believed to be "leaky gut syndrome". In order to get rid of the yeast overgrowth she wants me to take oil of oregano, a probiotic which I can't remember the name of right now and to eliminat carbs and sugars for 1 to 3 months or until the yeast overgrowth is gone. Everything I have read online suggests lots of lean meats, but being a vegetarian I feel like I don't know what to eat and I start this diet change on Monday (7/28). Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!!

That does present a challenge. Pretty much everything I was going to suggest has carbs. Even peanuts, sunflower seeds and tofu have carbs. Dark leafy greens have very, very low carbs but the carbs are still there. Here's a link that might give you a few ideas http://www.livestrong.com/article/16430-eat-carbfree-diet/ You should likely get your doctor to make recommendations though. Good luck!
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    seems a little extreme, but Lean meats, eggs, fish. nuts, cucumber salad, avocado, zucchini spaghetti with meatballs, spinach omelette, stuffed mushrooms, seafood, ect..
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hi again beldenc,

The MTHFR gene is more related to heart health than immune system functioning. The C677T mutation is very common and, in most people, does not cause symptoms. Most common is a high homocysteine level.

From the NIH (National Institutes of Health):

The MTHFR gene provides the instructions for making the MTHFR enzyme, which plays a role in converting the amino acid homocysteine to methionine. A change in a gene is called a mutation or a polymorphism. Some changes in the MTHFR gene are very common, such as the C677T mutation or the A1298C mutation. These mutations result in a version of the MTHFR enzyme that has a mildly to moderately reduced function. There are also rare mutations in the MTHFR gene that severely impair the enzyme and cause a rare disease called homocystinuria.[1]

People with a personal or family history of heart disease or blood clots may be tested for the common MTHFR gene mutations. Because each person has two copies of the MTHFR gene, it is possible to have one or two MTHFR gene mutations. If you have two mutations, you are said to be homozygous. If you have one mutation, you are heterozygous. Individuals with two C677T mutations and people with one C677T and one A1298C mutation have an increased risk of developing blood clots. Having this increased risk does not mean that a person will develop a clot, as many people with MTHFR gene mutations never do.[1]

Here is a good site with more information on this gene: http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MTHFR .

Regarding the painful bloating, have you had a checkup with your gynecologist?

Good luck.

Personally, I would go with NIH information but here is more information that does indicate treating the candida is recommended when dealing with mutation http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mthfr/
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hi again beldenc,

The MTHFR gene is more related to heart health than immune system functioning. The C677T mutation is very common and, in most people, does not cause symptoms. Most common is a high homocysteine level.

From the NIH (National Institutes of Health):

The MTHFR gene provides the instructions for making the MTHFR enzyme, which plays a role in converting the amino acid homocysteine to methionine. A change in a gene is called a mutation or a polymorphism. Some changes in the MTHFR gene are very common, such as the C677T mutation or the A1298C mutation. These mutations result in a version of the MTHFR enzyme that has a mildly to moderately reduced function. There are also rare mutations in the MTHFR gene that severely impair the enzyme and cause a rare disease called homocystinuria.[1]

People with a personal or family history of heart disease or blood clots may be tested for the common MTHFR gene mutations. Because each person has two copies of the MTHFR gene, it is possible to have one or two MTHFR gene mutations. If you have two mutations, you are said to be homozygous. If you have one mutation, you are heterozygous. Individuals with two C677T mutations and people with one C677T and one A1298C mutation have an increased risk of developing blood clots. Having this increased risk does not mean that a person will develop a clot, as many people with MTHFR gene mutations never do.[1]

Here is a good site with more information on this gene: http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MTHFR .

Regarding the painful bloating, have you had a checkup with your gynecologist?

Good luck.

Personally, I would go with NIH information but here is more information that does indicate treating the candida is recommended when dealing with mutation http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mthfr/
    There's a lot of questionable information on that website in particular in relation to MTHFR.

I would recommend the NIH website and genecards http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=MTHFR

Unfortunately, there are many questionable recommendations by 'practitioners' in relation to MTHFR genotype even though most research studies implicating it are not replicated (and therefore questionable) or inconsistent. The MTHFR T variant seems to get blamed for everything. As explained by geneticsteacher, MTHFR is involved in homocysteine metabolism, but it is an extremely complex pathway with other enzymes (eg. MTRR and MTR) and cofactors and coenzymes such as folate, B6 and B12. People who have the TT genotype may have increased homocysteine levels, which can be problematic if very high, but sufficient folate etc usually cancels out the effect. There are MANY peer reviewed publications on this. Here's one as an example. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/111/19/e289.full There is usually no negative effect of having one copy of the T allele, like your reported genotype OP.

The 'Doc' may say it's responsible for the process of methylation in every cell in your body and "When people with genetic mutations is MTHFR are exposed to toxins, they have a harder time getting rid of them which can cause some very serious illnesses." but the Doc is misinformed. This is an EXTREMELY simplistic view of MTHFR as is the information in http://doccarnahan.blogspot.com/2013/05/mthfr-gene-mutation-whats-big-deal.html . Unfortunately, MDs usually have a VERY basic level of genetics education and as a result, you get this type of misinformation. Think about it, if it was true, around 10-35% of the population would have these problems because that's the approximate population frequency of the T variant.

OP, no doubt you will take this with a grain of salt. I'm just some random internet stranger, but I DO know the genetics and biochemistry of MTHFR very well and I think that you need a second opinion.

As for candida overgrowth, yes it's a thing, but it's a life threatening systemic infection that would have you hospitalised and on IV anti-microbials if you were experiencing it. Again, I think you need a second opinion.

ETA: As evidence against the impact of MTHFR genotype on methylation (recent studies)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23285094
    Age-related changes in the global DNA methylation profile of leukocytes are linked to nutrition but are not associated with the MTHFR C677T genotype or to functional capacities.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22957669
    No statistically significant association was observed for intake of vitamins B2, B6, and B12, alcohol consumption, or five single nucleotide polymorphisms of MTHFR, MTR, and MTRR.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Adkins is not a "no" carb diet. It is a very "low" carb diet.
    At the beginning you are allowed to eat 20-24 carbs a day and most of that is supposed to come from veggies.
    But with Adkins, I'm sure they are assuming you are eating protein such as Chicken, Beef or Fish. Which you don't do, so I'm not thinking that Adkins is the diet for you.
    I'm sure there are other alternatives for a low carb, low sugar diet especially if you were told to do this for health reasons.
    I have to agree with the others who have suggested a dietician.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    To help your candida overgrowth, you can eat Protein-such as: nuts, eggs, Greek yoghurt, cheese. Carbs- such as vegetables(mostly green, yellow, red), and Fat- coconut oil and olive oil. Flax is a good complex carb to add also, which is mostly fiber.