For those who weigh 300 pounds and up

Options
how did you get that big in first place? I am not trying to offend anyone ,I am just curious.for me,i am naturally curvy so whenever I stop working out and not watch my diet I gain weight until I reach a certain weight or look. probably around 160`s and I am 5`3 but I never gain more even if I don't go back to the gym. So I was wondering with people who end up gaiing up to 300 pounds, do they eat at least 5000 calories day to put on that much weight. This is just out of curiosity and I am sorry I offended anyone

Replies

• arwFTW
    arwFTW Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh over 300 pounds but I am not far from it. Honestly, it happens when you're not paying attention and slow enough that you can deny it's happening.

I could feel my clothes start to fit tighter, I could look in the mirror and see i didn't look as good as I used to, but I just denied that it was happening or it was all in my head. THen I would eat right and work out for a week, get exhausted and overwhelmed and be right back at my bad habits. I've been overweight my whole life, so gaining weight was never strange for me. But when I went in for a yearly exam and my doctor said, "I am morally obligated to tell you to lose weight." I have never been more humiliated. I cried because I was so ashamed. I let myself get this way out of laziness, lack of motivation, comfort, and security.

Eating feels good, it TASTES good, it makes me happy. I have a problem with food. But being aware is the first step and if I know I can't buy a bag of salt and vinegar chips without literally eating the entire back, then I guess I shouldn't buy salt and vinegar chips.

I'm sure everyone has a different story. But for me, I was happy, secure and comfortable with my life. Ate well, drank well, lived well with out worrying about consequences! And now here I am, with a VERY long way to go. But i'm ready and am here for the long haul.
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    This'll be an interesting one.

Though for me, a 6'2'' man who was around 256 lbs and above for ages, it wouldn't be that hard.

All you need to do in my case is stop caring, stop working out and start eating EVERYTHING that tastes DELICIOUS.

You'll get there soon enough.
  • Chibukalu908
    Chibukalu908 Posts: 212
    Options
    I don't weigh over 300 pounds but I am not far from it. Honestly, it happens when you're not paying attention and slow enough that you can deny it's happening.

I could feel my clothes start to fit tighter, I could look in the mirror and see i didn't look as good as I used to, but I just denied that it was happening or it was all in my head. THen I would eat right and work out for a week, get exhausted and overwhelmed and be right back at my bad habits. I've been overweight my whole life, so gaining weight was never strange for me. But when I went in for a yearly exam and my doctor said, "I am morally obligated to tell you to lose weight." I have never been more humiliated. I cried because I was so ashamed. I let myself get this way out of laziness, lack of motivation, comfort, and security.

Eating feels good, it TASTES good, it makes me happy. I have a problem with food. But being aware is the first step and if I know I can't buy a bag of salt and vinegar chips without literally eating the entire back, then I guess I shouldn't buy salt and vinegar chips.

I'm sure everyone has a different story. But for me, I was happy, secure and comfortable with my life. Ate well, drank well, lived well with out worrying about consequences! And now here I am, with a VERY long way to go. But i'm ready and am here for the long haul.

thanks for sharing your story.I wish you luck with your journey
  • Chibukalu908
    Options
    This'll be an interesting one.

Though for me, a 6'2'' man who was around 256 lbs and above for ages, it wouldn't be that hard.

All you need to do in my case is stop caring, stop working out and start eating EVERYTHING that tastes DELICIOUS.

You'll get there soon enough.

LOL yea its so easy gaining weight eh
  • BigNick6055
    BigNick6055 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Rally, for me, it had a lot to do with genetics. My family is made up of big, German ancestry. All the men in my family are barrel chested and big limbed. We are all very strong by comparison to others naturally. As in, stronger than most and not needing to work for it. Along with a terrible diet for many years, and a growing amount of inactivity, it was easy to be this big. I played college football at 295, and was faster in 40 yards that some guys who weighed 50-60 pounds less. I'm sure genetics have played a big part in quite a few people who are this big.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    how did you get that big in first place? I am not trying to offend anyone ,I am just curious.for me,i am naturally curvy so whenever I stop working out and not watch my diet I gain weight until I reach a certain weight or look. probably around 160`s and I am 5`3 but I never gain more even if I don't go back to the gym. So I was wondering with people who end up gaiing up to 300 pounds, do they eat at least 5000 calories day to put on that much weight. This is just out of curiosity and I am sorry I offended anyone

Ok...so you know how you say that you reach a certain point around 160's and don't really go any heavier even if you're not watching your diet or working out? That's how it was for me too but my point was 260's instead of 160's. I have been as heavy as 307 and I am now at 177...but at 5'8" when I was a teenager my body was already around 200 lb and it very slowly crept upward until I lingered for many many years in the 250-270 range. I got to 300 after eating out more, matching my ex husband's meals to my own (he was male, slightly taller than me, and very obese too) and just feeling like "no matter what I eat, I always weigh 260 so who cares". It crept up to 300 over time.

I think there are a lot of different scenarios that bring people to a weight over 300.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

This exactly. I didn't quite reach 300, but I was close enough at 291. I was the fat kid in school. I had lost a significant amount of weight in my 20s, then gained double that back. I got depressed due to life circumstances, and it boiled down to I just didn't care.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I am naturally curvy so whenever I stop working out and not watch my diet I gain weight until I reach a certain weight or look. probably around 160`s and I am 5`3 but I never gain more even if I don't go back to the gym. So I was wondering with people who end up gaiing up to 300 pounds, do they eat at least 5000 calories day to put on that much weight.

200.gif

I can imagine that when you say you are not trying to offend any one that you mean it but... Come on..
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I like eating food (boredom eating) and not moving (playing video games). Highest weight was 320#. I didn't care that I was that fat, only about not being able to find clothes and fit into chairs in waiting rooms and the mall.
  • bsmock88
    bsmock88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am currently 305 but have been up to 320 at one point. I have always been a heavier guy from eating bad, but also from lifting weights in highschool and college. My family owned a restaurant while I was growing up, so I had good food anytime I wanted it, and I come from a state where fried foods and stuff covered in gravy are the norm. In highschool I was still around 280 or so, and I can't remember the last time my pants size was lower than a 38 (currently 42). This is our time to correct our habits and make lifestyle changes that last!!!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I was fortunate to get my wake up call before I got near 300, but, like you, my set weight used to be 160. That's what it was for years when I was in my early to mid twenties. I didn't work for it, that's just where it lingered when I ate what I wanted. Then it crept up to 170 and stayed there a while. I got married, had a kid, my new 'normal' weight was 180. Then 196, then 204 .. each of those were for years but then they kept creeping up. Then I quit smoking and exploded to 229 in a matter of 2 and a half months. I knew I was gaining, but I didn't want to know how much so I just didn't get on the scale. I ate.. and ate.. and have honestly no idea how many calories I was taking in. When it started getting uncomfortable to wipe my butt.. when I lost sight of my hooha (TMI but it was a trigger to lose weight) .. then I knew I had to do something about it and here I am.
  • arwFTW
    arwFTW Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    200.gif

I can imagine that when you say you are not trying to offend any one that you mean it but... Come on..
    [/quote]

I thought the same thing....but I figured she just worded it badly. I'm sure she is just curious looking for things to avoid doing.

ORRRR maybe she just wants to hear all the fatties' stories.
  • Chibukalu908
    Options

Ok...so you know how you say that you reach a certain point around 160's and don't really go any heavier even if you're not watching your diet or working out? That's how it was for me too but my point was 260's instead of 160's. I have been as heavy as 307 and I am now at 177...but at 5'8" when I was a teenager my body was already around 200 lb and it very slowly crept upward until I lingered for many many years in the 250-270 range. I got to 300 after eating out more, matching my ex husband's meals to my own (he was male, slightly taller than me, and very obese too) and just feeling like "no matter what I eat, I always weigh 260 so who cares". It crept up to 300 over time.

I think there are a lot of different scenarios that bring people to a weight over 300.

I see it,what you said makes sense and congradulations for reaching 177.anyone can do it when they set they are mind to it:drinker:
  • TurnerErica17
    TurnerErica17 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    200.gif

I thought the same thing....but I figured she just worded it badly. I'm sure she is just curious looking for things to avoid doing.

ORRRR maybe she just wants to hear all the fatties' stories. ******* WHY DOES A PERSON AT 160LBS CARE HOW SOMEONE ELSE GOT TO 300LBS? JUST SEEMS LIKE *kitten* KIND OF QUESTION. IJS
    [/quote]
  • chr1st1na6464
    chr1st1na6464 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I currently weight 342. I think there are several factors that have led me to weigh this much...

1. body dysmorphia Whenever I look in the mirror, I see the same person, no matter what I weigh. I used to be underweight--and think I was incredibly overweight.

2. emotional eating: I was abused as a child, and food was one of the things my parents used. What I ate, how I ate, held my fork, etc. was always monitored and discussed at every meal. I was told I was fat from age 8--even though when I look back at photos, I was not fat at all. I was constantly told how fat I was, and that people would like me if I was just thinner. I was 5'8" and 120 lbs, so I'm not sure what they were talking about? I was also sexually abused.

I was date raped at 16, suffered from undiagnosed and untreated depression and anxiety. I went into my first deep depression in the fourth grade.

Food was this thing that I wasn't allowed to have, I couldn't even go to our family's refrigerator and get food out, and at the same time, it seemed to be the only thing that made me feel good inside.

As I grew older, I developed into a binge eater. It is the binges that can be attributed to my current weight. I can eat large quantities of food in one sitting--but only do this in private. So eating a dozen donuts or a whole birthday cake--that's nothing. So obviously when you're frequently bingeing, you're going to gain a lot of weight. 5000 calories a day? Easy!
  • Chibukalu908
    Options
    I like eating food (boredom eating) and not moving (playing video games). Highest weight was 320#. I didn't care that I was that fat, only about not being able to find clothes and fit into chairs in waiting rooms and the mall.

I see.as long as you are happy about yourself that's all that matters I guess:happy:
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 227. Eating lots of carbs and ALOT of sugar. Not moving, Sedentary job.. It was easy going on but hard coming off. Before vacation I was down to 178. I've got 48 lbs to lose. It's a lot easier to gain than the lose. In fact yesterday I ate around 1800 calories just eating "normally".
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I see it,what you said makes sense and congradulations for reaching 177.anyone can do it when they set they are mind to it:drinker:

Thanks!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh over 300 lbs. How does one get that big? I'll tell you how I did it. It's actually not easy, it takes a lot of consistent over eating over a long period of time to get that big. Basically I ate fast food AT LEAST once a day, every single day. Usually McDonalds breakfast sandwiches. Not 1, always 2 with 2 hashbrowns and either juice or coke. In addition to 1 fast food meal a day, I also ate at sit down restaurants or got carry out more nights then I didn't for dinner. Mexican and Chinese were favorites. Always appetizers and desert. All you can eat buffets at least 1 once a week often times more. The food I kept at home was mostly garbage. Sugar cereals, ice cream, cookies, candies, etc. I'd often eat a bag of chips and package of dip in a day or two. On the odd days I did make a home cooked meal it was usually comfort food type stuff (ribs, biscuits, mashed potatoes with butter, etc). Combine all that with below average physical activity and multiply it by the course of a decade and I sometimes wonder how I didn't weigh more. It actually took me much less time to get fit then it did to get that fat. I couldn't begin to give a daily caloric estimate but I'd say between 4000-6000 was probably a typical day.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to 300; 248 was enough for me (52yo female, 5'4"). But complacency and apathy about my physical condition allowed my to get to that point.