For those who weigh 300 pounds and up

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Of all the questions one could ask on getting started...
  • Chibukalu908
    Chibukalu908 Posts: 212
    Options
    200.gif

I can imagine that when you say you are not trying to offend any one that you mean it but... Come on..

I thought the same thing....but I figured she just worded it badly. I'm sure she is just curious looking for things to avoid doing.

ORRRR maybe she just wants to hear all the fatties' stories. ******* WHY DOES A PERSON AT 160LBS CARE HOW SOMEONE ELSE GOT TO 300LBS? JUST SEEMS LIKE *kitten* KIND OF QUESTION. IJS
    [/quote]

Just like what the other person said ,I just want to know what to avoid to gain that much weight. I know its possible for me to reach 300 lbs so that's why I want to know how others got there.this question is out of curisouty and I am glad not everyone is touchy about this subject as you guys.
  • kahlstie
    kahlstie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Similar story. Good Luck on your journey!
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It required the same dedication that it has taken to lose the weight. To get to over 300 pounds, I had to have the same level of focus on eating that I have now, except my focus was on eating poorly instead of eating healthy. I was constantly thinking about when I would get my next big meal.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    how did you get that big in first place? I am not trying to offend anyone ,I am just curious.for me,i am naturally curvy so whenever I stop working out and not watch my diet I gain weight until I reach a certain weight or look. probably around 160`s and I am 5`3 but I never gain more even if I don't go back to the gym. So I was wondering with people who end up gaiing up to 300 pounds, do they eat at least 5000 calories day to put on that much weight. This is just out of curiosity and I am sorry I offended anyone

Uhm.

I'm six feet tall. My highest weight was 307 and a size 24 jeans. I know women who are half a foot shorter than me who in a size 24 weighed fifty pounds less.
    How did I get to that size? How the hell do you think? I overate, stopped being active after high school, and refused to look in a mirror because I knew I was gaining weight and I didn't want to face it.

Troll post? I honstly can't tell.
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    slide_324525_3096945_free.gif

^That's about right...
    And I just kept talking to food even when I didn't want to.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    how did you get that big in first place? I am not trying to offend anyone ,I am just curious.for me,i am naturally curvy so whenever I stop working out and not watch my diet I gain weight until I reach a certain weight or look. probably around 160`s and I am 5`3 but I never gain more even if I don't go back to the gym. So I was wondering with people who end up gaiing up to 300 pounds, do they eat at least 5000 calories day to put on that much weight. This is just out of curiosity and I am sorry I offended anyone

The same way you get to 160 pounds. Calorie surplus.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Once you hit 300 pounds, your story is basically the same as everyone else who hits 300 pounds, that is why you are going to get one solid, concise answer to your outrageously condescending question.

Have a great journey.
  • KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    All through high school I was around 155 which is still overweight on my 5' 3" frame but I pretty much stayed there no matter how badly I ate. Then I got a little older and I hovered around 167 for awhile. Then I got pregnant with my first child, suffered severe morning sickness, lost 30 lbs, felt better then gained 60 lbs and ended up around 200 when it was all over. (When I felt better it was easy for me to justify that I needed the calories LOL). With my second pregnancy I did the same thing and ended up around 215 where it seemed was my new set point. Your 'set point' changes over the years so I can see how it would be easy to keep going up over time.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Remember folks, just because you find someone offensive or condescending doesn't mean that everyone does. I'd imagine that's why more than a few others are willing to answer the OP's question without accusing them of trolling.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    200.gif

I can imagine that when you say you are not trying to offend any one that you mean it but... Come on..

I thought the same thing....but I figured she just worded it badly. I'm sure she is just curious looking for things to avoid doing.

ORRRR maybe she just wants to hear all the fatties' stories. ******* WHY DOES A PERSON AT 160LBS CARE HOW SOMEONE ELSE GOT TO 300LBS? JUST SEEMS LIKE *kitten* KIND OF QUESTION. IJS
    [/quote]

I wonder the same thing sometimes. Not to be *kitten*-ish..
    But I experience such a high level of discomfort getting to be 50+ pounds overweight that I'm compelled to start dealing with it.

I don't quite understand how someone can gain 100 pounds or more and be comfortable or unwilling to deal with it unless they're suffering from mobility or medical issues.

I would never have come out and asked outright however.. lol.. but in my case I think I'm trying to understand how other people think.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

The same way you get to 160 pounds. Calorie surplus.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXOGQwXlqd2QJOmxL0gbKxQUg9KVgqttiDyZT_EwfkDFxyO9fHpQ

Strange post. :indifferent:
  • karmic_fit
    karmic_fit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    150 lbs @ 18 > 300lbs @ 30
    3500 x 150 = 525,000 calories
    18+12 = 30
    12 x 365 = 4,380 days
    525,000/ 4,380 = 119.8 calories a day over your maintenance… it’s not because you’re eating 5,000 calories a day… it’s just a little bit of inattention over a long period of time for most people
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well....
    I have PCOS. (insulin resistance and hormone issues) I was diagnosed at 16. Was always the bigger kid. I loved sweets and honestly, I was kind of taught to eat away my emotions.

So between having PCOS, having a child, starving myself (only drinking diet drinks and eating grapes), throwing up, developing a binge eating disorder, I got CLOSE ENOUGH to 300 pounds. One thing I always told myself (please don't take offense to this anyone) is that I HAD to stop before I hit 300 pounds. I always have cared how I look, I just never thought I could lose weight and keep it off. Didn't have the best support system, and didn't know what to do to change myself. I have also battled depression since age 15.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Not seeing it in the mirror would be the main culprit. The weight comes on so slowly that you don't see yourself change. I have always been heavy, but after college I got a great opportunity to work from home so other than walking to the bathroom or to the kitchen there was no activity involved.

That and having a big bag of candies, chocolate and chips is much handier when your work consists of long hours in front of the computer. You really don't need to eat much to accumulate 3000+ calories if you go for certain foods. 100 grams of chips for example is not an outrageously huge serving, but that's 500+ calories in a matter of minutes. Most candies are around 500+ calories per 100 grams. To put that into perspective, an average tomato is about 150 grams, so that stereotype of fat people with this huge plate of fatty foods in front of them is not always the case.

Denial also has a big role to play. I've always had an hourglass figure even when I was heavy. When I started looking more like a ball I just refused to believe I was gaining weight and blamed it on being in my thirties. Your body changes after 30s right? RIGHT?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to offend anyone
    This is just out of curiosity and I am sorry I offended anyone

Hi OP,

A tip for you that might help you throughout this crazy journey we call life. If you have to qualify something with "I'm not trying to offend anyone", and then apologize by saying, "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" before a single person even replies to you, it's a really good idea to... well, how can I say this without being offensive?

Oh yeah - don't speak and/or ask the question.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    ....I just refused to believe I was gaining weight and blamed it on being in my thirties. Your body changes after 30s right? RIGHT?

Big time. I think it's a cosmic joke on the human race.
  • jefferytmc
    jefferytmc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have always been big. When I graduated from HS, I was about 240. Yes, I was overweight and yes, I should have lost weight, but part of it was a skewed view of others. The other guys were so thin. What I did not realize then was, I had matured faster and was already in my "adult" body, many of the other guys were still growing and developing.

Part of my problem was my senior yr in HS, I had gotten a job working in a concession stand at the local rec league ballpark. And we could pretty much eat whatever without paying. So, I indulged in too many candy bars, and too much popcorn and hotdogs and nachos and sugary sodas.

So I ended HS probably 40-50 lbs overweight.

In college, I was on my own and making all my own food choices and McDonalds 69 cent cheeseburgers were prefect for my wallet. So I continued to gain weight.

I took up tennis at 19 and my roommates and I played daily. I was not losing weight, but I was maintaining (mainly because we ate a lot of pizza and such). Then I met the love of my life. And I started spending all my time with her and not playing tennis. I kept eating the same and no exercise and started to gain more.

She and I were both overweight and we never wanted to nag each other, so our weight continued to go up.

After a few years of marriage, and a couple of kids, our weight had gone quite high. I was pushing 400 lbs (a number I had vowed never to reach). But I had a sedentary office job and kids and bills and an hour plus commute each way and no desire to eat better.

I did WWers, I did South Beach, I did Atkins, I did super low calorie medically supervised diets. On each I lost at least 50 lbs, but then life would happen and I would regain what I had lost and then some.

Finally a year ago, I had been diagnosed as a diabetic and was on a low dose of orals and a low dose of BP meds. I decided I needed to get rid of the weight once and for all.

So this past Feb, I had WL surgery. I am down 95 lbs, I have been exercising (walking mostly) for the past 4 months and I feel great.

I have a long way to go and am still over 300 lbs, but I am moving in the right direction.

The key is managing what you eat. Exercise has helped me physically, but the food is the main difference in the WL.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    So... you've never weighed 300 pounds and you want to know how people can gain enough weight to reach 300 pounds... because... why? This is a personal question that often has a complex answer involving painful memories. You don't ask someone about something that's potentially traumatic and/or embarrassing unless you've either been there or have a serious need to know.
  • kdbnmd
    kdbnmd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    At my peak I was at least 327 pounds. After I saw that number on the scale I didn't weigh myself for a while. Poor eating habits..eating the wrong things and WAY too much of those things got me there. Hopefully I will NEVER see a 3 in front of my weight again! Currently 221.2.