"Fake geek girls" debunked

Options
j_bark
j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
These guys do a great job explaining the myth.

SWIW #3: "Fake Geek Girls" - Fact? Or Fiction?: http://youtu.be/k8LFfDbPmD4

Just so you know.. I <3 you Geek Girls

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    No clue what that is about, but I just think all Forest Gump about it, Geek is, as geek does. Who cares if they aren't geek enough for you. At least they are trying.

Pffftttt...geek purists as funny as hero /b/tards.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I play some video games, watch some anime and read some comics, but only specific ones, and only because I enjoy them. I can't imagine having to step up my geek game in order to fit into some stupid subculture. I'm much happier playing my 3DS on my boyfriend's couch while he's on the Playstation. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Geek is as geek does...

Basically sums up their point. To each their own. Be yourself and the cards will fall because gravity.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this!!!!
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've never understood this whole myth.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I don't like being labeled.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My mini-me labels me all the time. We have had to stop buying her stickers because she was labeling everyone and everything.

I don't claim being a geek of my own accord. In fact I regularly claim not be to smart enough to be one, but he hubbs insists that I am wrong and that I am very much a geek. *shrugs* and really, who cares what some you tube thing says. Hubbs opinion matters more than that. *nods*
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Those guys are closet-twerkers... I DO remember talking about LOTR in the 80's..... and D&D and my first major was Computer Science/Systems Design, minor in Math..... Oh well..... I should NOT read these forums... must hold my tongue because i am hoping most people on MFP are here with GOOD INTENTIONS.. :) Great day, Nerds or Geeks or whatever
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've been using this screen name on various websites for almost ten years now. I'm still surprised when I get an unsolicited PM suggesting I'm not "really" a geek or that I'm "probably just a redditor or something." It's especially sad on dating websites.

Thanks for the video.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Those guys are closet-twerkers... I DO remember talking about LOTR in the 80's..... and D&D and my first major was Computer Science/Systems Design, minor in Math..... Oh well..... I should NOT read these forums... must hold my tongue because i am hoping most people on MFP are here with GOOD INTENTIONS.. :) Great day, Nerds or Geeks or whatever

Did we watch the same video? Because I feel like we took very different messages away from it.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I don't care if they're fake or not, as long as they watch Ninja Turtles with me, I'm good.
  • miss_jessiejane
    Options
    I don't care if they're fake or not, as long as they watch Ninja Turtles with me, I'm good.

Which Ninja Turtles?
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever see American Splendor? The movie about a comic writer (not cartoonist) who kind of sucks at everything and has the ultimate geek friend. Like, such a legitimate geek. He was a real person and his voice was Hank Azaria's inspiration for the voice of comic book guy on The Simpsons. Anyway, there's a part in the movie where he expresses that he's proud to be a nerd and goes to see this upcoming movie called "Revenge of the Nerds." Harvey Pekar (the main character) gets really pissed, because those guys weren't nerds at all, certainly not like his legitimately nerd friend. They were actors and if you're on a screen, yes, even if you're Booger, you're not that ugly or nerdy or truly whatever to be really outcast by "the jocks" or normal society or whoever.

It's like when American geeky guys who like manga call themselves otaku, a term which carries some pretty serious weight and implications in Japan (or at least used to, as it was explained to me).

Anyway, I think true geeks get pretty cheesed off when very attractive women put on some horn-rimmed glasses, a cut-off batman shirt, and daisy dukes, and call themselves nerds. I think they feel that, just because you like any really mainstream superhero (like just about anything Marvel or D.C. these days, due to all of the movies), you aren't a nerd. Nerds speak Klingon or Tengwar and live with their mothers and can cite the years each Final Fantasy game was released and what their release number was in the U.S. and Japan and they dress like Dr. Who when no ones around, etc.

It's just not a black and white issue. There are degrees of nerdiness, people!
  • sixout
    Options

Which Ninja Turtles?

3_full.jpg
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I feel like geek is a spectrum. For example. My friend thinks I'm insane because I have star wars, batman, pokeman, and serenity themed tattoos. In turn, I think my other friend is a bit nuts because she hand designs her cosplay costumes.

I've gotten crap before because my lightsaber tattoo isn't "proportional" or "Prefectly accurate" and therefore I only like Star Wars because...-insert stupid reason here-. Whatever. To some people, I'm incredibly geeky, to others I'm not at all. Sliding scale. I like what I like. Deal.
  • sixout
    Options
    I feel like geek is a spectrum. For example. My friend thinks I'm insane because I have star wars, batman, pokeman, and serenity themed tattoos. In turn, I think my other friend is a bit nuts because she hand designs her cosplay costumes.

I've gotten crap before because my lightsaber tattoo isn't "proportional" or "Prefectly accurate" and therefore I only like Star Wars because...-insert stupid reason here-. Whatever. To some people, I'm incredibly geeky, to others I'm not at all. Sliding scale. I like what I like. Deal.

if it doesn't glow, it's not worth it.
  • miss_jessiejane
    Options

Which Ninja Turtles?

3_full.jpg

This is acceptable.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I read this as "Fake gReek girls"...

Anyway, carry on.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options

if it doesn't glow, it's not worth it.

I was going to put the glow in th dark ink around the edge of it, but I have nerve damage on that leg and I don't want to mess with it anymore :(
  • sixout
    Options

Which Ninja Turtles?

3_full.jpg

This is acceptable.

2gOK5el.gif