"Fake geek girls" debunked

Options

Replies

• MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I once knew a fake geek girl. Don't get me wrong, she was a total geek, but she was actually a robot.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I once knew a fake geek girl. Don't get me wrong, she was a total geek, but she was actually a robot.

I just laughed pretty audibly and my coworkers think I'm insane now.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was a geek when it wasn't cool to be one. Truthfully, though, I couldn't care less about cosplaying or comic books (and never have). I really don't even care about video games any more. Anime / manga I like because I like cartoons but I watch TV with real people and read more literary books. Life got in the way, I guess.

STEM stuff, though? Yeah... I like those.

I prefer to just be me and like what I like... no need to call me names :P
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Maybe nerds and geeks have been materialised, like other subcultures. Hey, if it helps Marvel sell more T-shirts right? My friend and I look really "normal" and yet we are both nerdy about many many things. I think you can usually tell apart those who are born geeks and those who have adopted it as a look. Neither is better or worse than the other, we just are who we all are :)

Funnily enough, you can usually tell the native geek from the invasive species because they will actually shy away from being called, or calling themselves, a nerd or a geek, because they will have grown up with the shame and mockery of being passionate about the 'wrong' thing, as with my friend and I. A 'new geek' however will wear their specs and batman t shirt as a badge of honour, and maybe that's not a bad thing... Embrace the geek!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't get why this even matters. If a person wants to claim to be a geek then who cares? They will only eventually embarrass themselves. They only hurt themselves. I don't understand why anyone would put so much effort into hating a group of people for thinking that something they liked was cool. Watches Star Trek but can't speak Klingon?! HERETIC!!!

I'm sorry. I just don't get it. Be whoever, like whatever. Don't worry about other people and enjoy life.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    I was a geek when it wasn't cool to be one.

41415-hipster-dog-niaN.jpeg
  • phantasmagical
    phantasmagical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Eh. I'm holding out for the Toast episode. And if you call me a fake geek girl, I'll just laugh at you, and you'll be right back where you started before a critical mass of general America realized smart people are cool: single and stinky.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    What I don't like about these things is the thing that it's still all about dating these 'geek girls', real or fake.

How 'bout we, as women, dressing up for fun? Or we genuinely like those things WITHOUT having the need for approval by males who may or may not like those things? Or how about we just let people call themselves what they want without even having to approach the reasons for why they may be at these conventions?

It's tired. It's old. And frankly, the majority of geek girls don't care what geek guys think about them.
  • sixout
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't get why this even matters. If a person wants to claim to be a geek then who cares? They will only eventually embarrass themselves. They only hurt themselves. I don't understand why anyone would put so much effort into hating a group of people for thinking that something they liked was cool. Watches Star Trek but can't speak Klingon?! HERETIC!!!

I'm sorry. I just don't get it. Be whoever, like whatever. Don't worry about other people and enjoy life.

I'm gonna weigh in, and not to argue, but just to present a different perspective. And it's not relating specifically to women at all.

I loved comic books when I was a kid. Because I liked comic books I was beat up on a regular basis. Literally. Groups of bigger kids would knock them out of my hands and beat me to the ground, because I liked comic books.

Now that the movies are popular, those exact same guys are walking around in Iron Man t-shirts. If you ask them they'll freely admit they've never read a comic and never would, they just like it because it's cool now.

So, as someone who paid a price for the things I like, F those people! You don't get to put something down as lame and for nerds only, until it gets popular, and then claim it as your own. It's not like they had a revelation and changed their ways, they're just glomming onto what is now a trend. I have zero respect for that.

Yea, people's opinions can never change! You tell them!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Poseurs, and white knights, and hipsters, oh my!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options

I'm gonna weigh in, and not to argue, but just to present a different perspective. And it's not relating specifically to women at all.

I loved comic books when I was a kid. Because I liked comic books I was beat up on a regular basis. Literally. Groups of bigger kids would knock them out of my hands and beat me to the ground, because I liked comic books.

Now that the movies are popular, those exact same guys are walking around in Iron Man t-shirts. If you ask them they'll freely admit they've never read a comic and never would, they just like it because it's cool now.

So, as someone who paid a price for the things I like, F those people! You don't get to put something down as lame and for nerds only, until it gets popular, and then claim it as your own. It's not like they had a revelation and changed their ways, they're just glomming onto what is now a trend. I have zero respect for that.

I'm not saying that you have to respect them by any means. I'm simply stating that I don't see the reason to hate on people who are an embarrassment to themselves. Then again I was never really picked on for whatever reason. *shrugs* Maybe it was because I was 5'7" and 170 pounds in 5th grade? Who knows. I probably should have been though. I was a socially awkward gothy girl who competed in UIL academics, Was a member of Film Club, French Club, Art Club, and tried to start an Anime club. I was in Band AND Choir as well as advanced classes, did not play sports but did martial arts and my first love was Sephiroth. I grew up watching X-men, the outer limits, and Gargoyles and my favorite movies growing up were Never-Ending Story, The Explorers, and an animated version of The Hobbit. I collected Dawn Comic Books and I always carried multiple books with me and was the kid who got in trouble for reading.

By all means I should have been picked on but never was for whatever reason so I lucked out. Which is why it makes me so sad to see so many people picked on for these things. I just don't get why it matters so much to people that they feel the need to torture anyone. That being said, why does what they did to you justify hateing people who enjoy it now. I would see it as a sweet irony that these guys are so lame that they cannot possibly find an iota of originality, even if it nipped them in the butt!

Also, my parents also taught me that the nerdy weird kids were always funner than the cool kids and they were right as far as I knew.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    <<< My face when someone questions my "geekiness".
  • sixout
    Options

Yea, people's opinions can never change! You tell them!

smallviolin_zps42e487b6.gif

QuOJIE8.jpg
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    The snark in this thread is unacceptable and you're all meanies.
  • sixout
    Options

I find your reply very offensive.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

I'm offended that you're offended.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options
    Why don't you just go and cry into your half eaten jar of peanut butter!
  • sixout
    Options

I'm offended that you're offended.

Your offense started the offensiveness that offended me.