Lifting is "bad for you"

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    She has low body fat, so you can see the muscles she does have. If she lifted she would look a heck of a lot more amazing.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    That's funny considering how many body builders are very vascular.

^True story.

^:laugh: YES
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Lifting is bad for ME because I have back issues, but that's a new one..

Some of the things I heard when I said I was interested in lifting (before I was told I couldn't) that lifting would do away with my boobs, [bold]make my uterus fall out[/bold], give me a manly jaw, and make me grow dark body hair.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I have been told my uterus will go all wonky and that my bladder will fall...but this is a new one.

I was recently reading that squats may help increase tension and better strengthen your pelvic floor then kegels. So lifting may benefit women'sinternal organs and bladder control. For men it can help relieve ppressure on the prostate. No clue if studies or what not but good counter argument.

I think I read the same thing. Lifting FTW.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well that's a new one.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Haha, that's a new one for me. She must be blessed with some serious genetics to believe that and look as good as you say!

She really must because I have to say, she looks amazing. According to her she does a lot of zumba and kickboxing.

do you only know her on facebook? or have you met this person IRL?

I don't friend anyone on FB that I don't know personally somehow, so her pics are really of her, lol.
  • alpinehealth
    alpinehealth Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Definitely will not shrink your arteries, it will enlarge them if anything. Lift all the weight you want, it is very hard work building muscle. Anyone who says "but I don't want to get big" don't worry you won't unless of course you start lifting seriously, like 5 days a week for a few years. Lift away you will tone up nicely.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Is this a close friend? (because she sounds like an idiot) (and a liar face)
  • chrissyrenee1029
    Options
    Is this a close friend? (because she sounds like an idiot) (and a liar face)

No...it's a "we're from a super small town so everybody knows everybody" kind of friend.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    That ranks up there with my doctor telling me not to lift because it will cause long term increases in blood pressure.

Not the normal rise mid-set, but permanent.

Funny, I just had a check up because I'm turning 50 and my BP is 90/60 and my doctor said I have the BP of a teenager.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    This is probably the funniest thread I've read all day. This is as bad as someone telling me I was running wrong because I wasn't in pain afterwards.

Perhaps the best decision is to go to a gym in another town? :happy:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    The only lifting that is bad is when it is a fork continually shoving food in your mouth with abandon.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The only lifting that is bad is when it is a fork continually shoving food in your mouth with abandon.

:laugh:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    And all this time I thought my biggest concern was how bulky I'm gonna get. :sad:
  • chrissyrenee1029
    Options
    This is probably the funniest thread I've read all day. This is as bad as someone telling me I was running wrong because I wasn't in pain afterwards.

Perhaps the best decision is to go to a gym in another town? :happy:

This is what I'm probably going to have to do, at least for the time being. Thankfully I work in a nearby city with plenty of option.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My guess: she doesn't want you to lift, b/c she doesn't want you to look better than her.

Is she THAT friend?
  • chrissyrenee1029
    Options
    My guess: she doesn't want you to lift, b/c she doesn't want you to look better than her.

Is she THAT friend?

I really don't know her that well to say, although she does post a lot of catty status updates, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibilities.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie. I lost several friends that I had been friends with for 10+ years...right around the time I started lifting. I don't know if there is a correlation; it was very weird timing though.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie. I lost several friends that I had been friends with for 10+ years...right around the time I started lifting. I don't know if there is a correlation; it was very weird timing though.

Must be the horsecrap nonsense illogical phenomenon reported here: http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/half-lifts-workout-says-social-class-85221/
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had to Google it. Found this:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Weight_Lifting_Arteries.aspx

Gotta love the internet. :laugh:

Wow - No wonder my history professor stopped competing. He was worried about his arteries.

Of course, if you ask him, he says he's too small now - http://www.legendaryfitness.com/Richard.htm

(Newest pic on that site is 2011 - if anything he's a little bigger now.) He is an inspiration to me.