Lifting is "bad for you"

Options

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie. I lost several friends that I had been friends with for 10+ years...right around the time I started lifting. I don't know if there is a correlation; it was very weird timing though.

Must be the horsecrap nonsense illogical phenomenon reported here: http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/half-lifts-workout-says-social-class-85221/

"upper middle class Americans avoid “excessive displays of strength,” viewing the bodybuilder look as vulgar overcompensation for wounded manhood"

...and to think all this time I thought I looked AMAZING. I'm just compensating for my "wounded manhood." Haha.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    OP your "friend" is cray cray!! Lift away girl!!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Lifting actually improves blood flow, so it's just hilarious that someone would actually believe the opposite.People are weird, and choose the strangest points to argue. I'm continually baffled.

She must have some amazing genetics to be that defined!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    LOL shrinks your arteries.... where do people get these ideas from, and how do they think the human race survived before we invented things to lift heavy things for us?

Hey, neanderthal men, don't try to carry that heavy bison home for your tribe to eat, lifting heavy things shrinks your arteries!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    That ranks up there with my doctor telling me not to lift because it will cause long term increases in blood pressure.

Not the normal rise mid-set, but permanent.

I HAD extremely high blood pressure when I started losing weight...before doing any type of weight training...I researched...

Here is what Mayo Clinic has to say...

Is weightlifting safe if I have high blood pressure?
    Answers from Sheldon G. Sheps, M.D.

Maybe. It depends how high your blood pressure is. According to the American Heart Association, you should not lift weights if your blood pressure is uncontrolled — meaning it's higher than 180/110 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg). If your blood pressure is between 140 to 170 mm Hg systolic or 90 to 109 mm Hg diastolic, check with your doctor before starting a weightlifting program to discuss any precautions or special considerations.

Weightlifting can cause a temporary increase in blood pressure. This increase can be dramatic — depending on how much weight you lift. But, weightlifting can also have long-term benefits to blood pressure that outweigh the risk of a temporary spike for most people.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/weightlifting/faq-20058451
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My guess: she doesn't want you to lift, b/c she doesn't want you to look better than her.

Is she THAT friend?

that's what came to my mind too. Although I haven't ruled out the "she's stupid" option altogether. You can get big muscles without lifting barbells or dumbbells and doing those things while systematically avoiding barbells, dumbbells or other weight training devices is no more a logical fail than women who say they mustn't lift anything more than 3lb yet carry their babies and toddlers around all the time.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the amusing thread!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    wut the...no.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I hereby call this thread Treasure Trove of Cuckoo. Splendid, simply marvellous.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the amusing thread!

As soon as I saw it pop up in her message my first thought was MFP is going to love this! lol
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My guess: she doesn't want you to lift, b/c she doesn't want you to look better than her.

Is she THAT friend?

I really don't know her that well to say, although she does post a lot of catty status updates, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibilities.

Sounds like she doesn't want anyone to steal the spotlight and be the new, amazing transformation! You should definitely start just so you can rub it in her face later. :)

I just read that book too, and I'm like whoa... how much equipment am I gonna need here? I really want a setup in my basement to use anytime I want!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Look hard enough and you will find a study that says you are better off smoking than to eat red meat. I am serious. I wish i could make this stuff up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Aw, see now. I bet she don't squat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Look hard enough and you will find a study that says you are better off smoking than to eat red meat. I am serious. I wish i could make this stuff up.
    The creativity is mind-blowing and I agree with the "I wish I could make it up".
  • sarahunnewell
    Options
    There are definitely machines you should avoid, machines that - if you know how to do the right stretch/lunge and "use your own body weight" you can exercise more muscles with less ridiculousness. There is actually a great video on youtube about it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJxEJIOhrU
  • granadan
    granadan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie. I lost several friends that I had been friends with for 10+ years...right around the time I started lifting. I don't know if there is a correlation; it was very weird timing though.

Must be the horsecrap nonsense illogical phenomenon reported here: http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/half-lifts-workout-says-social-class-85221/

"upper middle class Americans avoid “excessive displays of strength,” viewing the bodybuilder look as vulgar overcompensation for wounded manhood"

...and to think all this time I thought I looked AMAZING. I'm just compensating for my "wounded manhood." Haha.

And his wife preferred him skinny? Must be mad...
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I had to Google it. Found this:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Weight_Lifting_Arteries.aspx

Gotta love the internet. :laugh:

Yep I had to google it too. Interesting! I lift moderately & do cardio afterwards so I feel safe...well ok, I still worry about dropping a Kettlebell on my head.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what to say.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    TAsunder wrote:

Interesting how they implied that aerobic people have more will power than bodybuilders. Seems bodybuilding would have to have will power from all sides of the lifestyle from diet, rest, strength training(which requires a very intense focus), AND aerobic training and artistic/asthetics side as well.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OK, so this is one I haven't heard before. I just started reading "New Rules for Women" and realized that once I really seriously get started lifting that the weights I have at home are probably not going to cut it. So until I have the funds to build up our home gym, I'm going to have to suck it up and hit the gym. I have a "friend" on Facebook that is really fit, and she is so well defined that I honestly assumed that she lifts, so I messaged her and asked her where she goes since the weight room at my local rec center is pretty small and typically overrun. Her response was that lifting is bad for you because it shrinks your arteries. :huh:

I have heard all of the "you'll get bulky", "you'll look like a man" crap before, but I honestly had never heard this one before.

OP...unless you have extremely high blood pressure...you are okay to lift.

In my case my highest reading was 201/140. So I didn't lift...I did however do some light strength training. I am now back in the healthy range 126/85 and have started doing some light lifting.

Your friend was misguided as to whom that risk applied to. If your healthy...go for it!