Foods that are healthy and have many calories.

Options
13»

Replies

• prosaiche
    prosaiche Posts: 29
    Options
    Pesto
    (Well, it's not super expensive if you grow the garlic & basil, omit nuts) Then the expense is oil & parmesan.

My kids loved it when they were tiny, and love it still, on noodles. Particularly with a side of sauted apples.
    I don't know if you and I googled the right pesto.. Because I'm showing green mush? Lol. I'll probably have to find a restaurant to sell that before I buy. I love using basil, but not so much garlic.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the original question? You are looking for healthy, calorie dense foods, which are inexpensive and also suitable for your son? Is that right? Are you just tying to get your cals up to your daily goal? How far short are you falling?
    Sorry for not getting back.
    I'm looking for more calories for me. Inexpensive to save money. Something to where my son will still eat it.
    (Such as some days I eat mixed green and ham. He will not touch the greens, which leaves me to do more cooking and more leftovers.. which I try to avoid).
    I'm usually 800-1000 calories off my goal. Have been every day I've been on this website. Without exercising, I get close to the calorie goal by 400 or so, but with exercising it brings the numbers back to the original I stated.

Opening your diary might help so people can see what you usually eat and offer other suggestions... you are falling pretty short of your goal, are you weighing your food? Seeing results that would go along with your daily deficit?

Can you just eat larger portions? Also, ice cream!
    Diary wise, we eat a bit? Just too much makes my stomach hurt. lol. I could try more cheese, though. And cottage cheese.. we love it.
    Weighing food? I'm a bit confused as to what that means. Actually putting it on a scale,or just reading the box?

Eating larger portions makes my stomach hurt and put me in the mindset that I'm eating when I don't need to. I always stop when full. Have for many years and I really don't want to break that and feel like I over eat. I was told this is a healthy mindset to have, but probably not with the calories I take in. Then again, I've eaten this way and what not for those same amount of years.

Regular icecream works, right? I almost never touch sweets. Had my first candy bar in 3 months or so and it hurt the roof of my mouth.. So I'm being careful with sweets.

Yes weighing your food means putting your actual portion onto a food scale to be sure that it matches up with the serving size that you log. You'd be pretty surprised to find out how many people underestimate their intake by several hundred calories because of logging inaccuracies.

More info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the original question? You are looking for healthy, calorie dense foods, which are inexpensive and also suitable for your son? Is that right? Are you just tying to get your cals up to your daily goal? How far short are you falling?
    I'm looking for more calories for me. Inexpensive to save money. Something to where my son will still eat it.
    (Such as some days I eat mixed green and ham. He will not touch the greens, which leaves me to do more cooking and more leftovers.. which I try to avoid).
    I'm usually 800-1000 calories off my goal. Have been every day I've been on this website. Without exercising, I get close to the calorie goal by 400 or so, but with exercising it brings the numbers back to the original I stated.

Opening your diary might help so people can see what you usually eat and offer other suggestions... you are falling pretty short of your goal, are you weighing your food? Seeing results that would go along with your daily deficit?

Diary wise, we eat a bit? Just too much makes my stomach hurt. lol. I could try more cheese, though. And cottage cheese.. we love it.
    Weighing food? I'm a bit confused as to what that means. Actually putting it on a scale,or just reading the box?

Eating larger portions makes my stomach hurt and put me in the mindset that I'm eating when I don't need to. I always stop when full. Have for many years and I really don't want to break that and feel like I over eat. I was told this is a healthy mindset to have, but probably not with the calories I take in. Then again, I've eaten this way and what not for those same amount of years.

Regular icecream works, right? I almost never touch sweets. Had my first candy bar in 3 months or so and it hurt the roof of my mouth.. So I'm being careful with sweets.

What are your goals? Your profile says you want to lose 48 lbs, is that accurate? How many calories/day do you have yourself set to in MFP? What are your current stats - because if that is you in your profile picture, it doesn't look like you need to lose ~50 lbs?

It is a healthy mindset to not over eat, so if it truly does make your stomach hurt to eat larger portions then yes, you need to find more calorie dense items. All the usual suggestions, like nuts, peanut butter, avocado, oil, full fat dairy, etc you said you are already doing. So I am really perplexed how you are continually 800-1000 calories short of your goal.

As Dianne said, if you aren't weighing your food, it is possible you are eating more than you think and maybe you don't have as big of a deficit as you believe you do, which is why I asked if you were seeing results which were in line with your goal.

Oh, and yes, pesto is a green sauce that is delicious with pasta, fresh vegetables, on chicken or salmon. It may not be great to look at but it tastes fantastic and has a considerable amount of calories.
  • prosaiche
    Options

Yes weighing your food means putting your actual portion onto a food scale to be sure that it matches up with the serving size that you log. You'd be pretty surprised to find out how many people underestimate their intake by several hundred calories because of logging inaccuracies.

More info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale
    We dont own one. Sounds like I just need to take a few bites more if that's the case. lol I really dont want to spend an unneeded 20$, though.
  • prosaiche
    Options

What are your goals? Your profile says you want to lose 48 lbs, is that accurate? How many calories/day do you have yourself set to in MFP? What are your current stats - because if that is you in your profile picture, it doesn't look like you need to lose ~50 lbs?

It is a healthy mindset to not over eat, so if it truly does make your stomach hurt to eat larger portions then yes, you need to find more calorie dense items. All the usual suggestions, like nuts, peanut butter, avocado, oil, full fat dairy, etc you said you are already doing. So I am really perplexed how you are continually 800-1000 calories short of your goal.

As Dianne said, if you aren't weighing your food, it is possible you are eating more than you think and maybe you don't have as big of a deficit as you believe you do, which is why I asked if you were seeing results which were in line with your goal.

Oh, and yes, pesto is a green sauce that is delicious with pasta, fresh vegetables, on chicken or salmon. It may not be great to look at but it tastes fantastic and has a considerable amount of calories.
    Personally, I don't want to lose any.
    I do want to shrink my breasts and hips a bit due to money, rather than health reasons. (I'm 213 lbs, but a lot of it went to my breasts.. a B cup to an E cup after pregnancy.)
    Initially, I was eating 1400 calories a day. I started that 4 years or so ago with a nutritionist who told me that is a good intake to lose weight. But what they didn't factor in was the hormone shots, birth control, and what not I took constantly.

Currently, as from lunch, I'm at: 1,031 166 28 30 1,832 51 with 909 76 36 68 468 22 remaining.
    This is only with my basic 30 minute morning walk, and not the hour cardio I'll be doing within the next two hours. .. Nor might it include if I go outside to practice soccer with my son. I have dinner already made, which is just an almond pancake, whole milk, and a boiled egg with no yellow.

I don't know how any of this works. X__X I just go with what the website tells me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Personally, I don't want to lose any.
    I do want to shrink my breasts and hips a bit due to money, rather than health reasons. (I'm 213 lbs, but a lot of it went to my breasts.. a B cup to an E cup after pregnancy.)
    Initially, I was eating 1400 calories a day. I started that 4 years or so ago with a nutritionist who told me that is a good intake to lose weight. But what they didn't factor in was the hormone shots, birth control, and what not I took constantly.

Currently, as from lunch, I'm at: 1,031 166 28 30 1,832 51 with 909 76 36 68 468 22 remaining.
    This is only with my basic 30 minute morning walk, and not the hour cardio I'll be doing within the next two hours. .. Nor might it include if I go outside to practice soccer with my son. I have dinner already made, which is just an almond pancake, whole milk, and a boiled egg with no yellow.

I don't know how any of this works. X__X I just go with what the website tells me.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of this without a lot of research - which is ok, that's how a lot of people start!

This thread is one of the most commonly linked topics on MFP and is a great place to get started. You really need to read it, maybe multiple times because there is a lot to absorb, and follow the links too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Also figure out what your goal is (lose pounds, lose inches, etc) and set your calorie goals accordingly. Either follow the MFP plan and set your activity level appropriately and eat a portion of your exercise calories back, or calculate your TDEE and determine if you are trying to maintain or lose and then set your goal according to that, but if you use TDEE, you wouldn't eat your exercise calories back.

Lastly, I still don't have much to offer as far as specific food suggestions because your diary isn't open, but a pancake, some milk, and a hardboiled egg doesn't sound like much for dinner. It just doesn't sound like a lot of food - period. I know you said your stomach hurts if you eat larger portions, have you consulted your doctor about that?
  • prosaiche
    Options

Sounds like you are doing a lot of this without a lot of research - which is ok, that's how a lot of people start!

This thread is one of the most commonly linked topics on MFP and is a great place to get started. You really need to read it, maybe multiple times because there is a lot to absorb, and follow the links too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Also figure out what your goal is (lose pounds, lose inches, etc) and set your calorie goals accordingly. Either follow the MFP plan and set your activity level appropriately and eat a portion of your exercise calories back, or calculate your TDEE and determine if you are trying to maintain or lose and then set your goal according to that, but if you use TDEE, you wouldn't eat your exercise calories back.

Lastly, I still don't have much to offer as far as specific food suggestions because your diary isn't open, but a pancake, some milk, and a hardboiled egg doesn't sound like much for dinner. It just doesn't sound like a lot of food - period. I know you said your stomach hurts if you eat larger portions, have you consulted your doctor about that?
    I'll check it out. (Edit- holy wow... this is gonna take me about 3 days to read, re-read, and read again to get. lol)
    Breast wise, I want to get to at least a D cup. Pants, I want to get to a 14. I'm around 15-22 depending on brand? 14 seems more reasonable to buy clothing with.. Just like a D cup. I just want it to be easier to buy clothing and not own one bra every 7 months and less than 3 pants a year. @___@

For me, it's actually a lot. Pancake is about the size of an adults face. Milk makes me sick if I drink too much of it, though, it does for everyone.
    And I have. He said it's normal due to how I ate when I was in school. (which was &+ years ago). Because a normal school day of eating would be : toast + juice (milk in the morning was a huge no go), school lunch was small since school lunch was nasty and free, and I'd have only ramen or a sandwich for dinner because the parents were never home and we didn't have much to eat. (Unless my dad would make mashed potato sandwiches. lol). He said my body adjusted to that for a long while, so my body reacts to eating as I did for years on that routine.

Thank you, though.