Dog Lovers! Is Your Dog an Exercise Motivator?

Options

Replies

• aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I watch my 2 pit bulls run in the yard, and I am in awe. They're like bullets. Energy is a foreign concept to me. I have not ever experienced it in my entire life.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I tried, then remembered he's a cat and doesn't like leashes.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I tried, then remembered he's a cat and doesn't like leashes.
    LOL almost spit out my drink all over the computer
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I can't run with him. I've tried and he will run for a bit, then get excited like "OMG WE'RE RUNNING!!" and then run in front of me and trip me.

Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ziBZcQAjAA
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I try to walk my dog every day when the weather is nice... he is small only 26lbs - he can run at a 12 min mile pace but I have to remember that it is HIS walk...

a couple of nights I have gone out at 830pm because he didnt get his walk and i felt super guilty. I wuv him hes spoiled.
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I can't run with him. I've tried and he will run for a bit, then get excited like "OMG WE'RE RUNNING!!" and then run in front of me and trip me.

Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ziBZcQAjAA

hahahahaha this is awesome
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When I first got into all of the nutrition and health and fitness stuff, making sure I took the dog out regularly for a walk was integral in getting my *kitten* moving. It was pretty much all I did in RE to deliberate exercise initially.

Unfortunately for my dog, riding my bike has largely taken over my fitness interests and she just can't hang with me for 30 miles at a pop...but I still try to get out with her a good 3x weekly for a nice walk.
  • corinne0805
    corinne0805 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I bought a beagle precisely for this reason! Beagles are chow hounds, and require loads of exercise. After I got our first beagle in 2010, we added another beagle in 2011. I have trained them to run with me. I use a running belt and I loop their leashes to it. My female runs to my right, the male to the left. If I run real trails they are both really focused; if I run grass or dirt trails, then the male tends to get excited and can sometimes run in front of me. I find if I keep my pace up though, that he remains more focused.

We have a Yorkie and a retriever as well - they run loose next to me since, unlike a beagle that would follow its nose and not come when called, they will stay with me. I run better and faster when I take my dogs with me.

There were a few periods of time when I was not running them consistently due to pregnancy and work, but then they swim with me!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    My son and I take our dogs for a walk every night. :)
  • Kidominos
    Kidominos Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Yup, my Golden is my walking buddy ????
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My eventual hope is to start doing C25K and to taking him on runs with me. Not sure how much he can handle, but it would be a good incentive even if I add a short run or two to my routine.
    My dog is a beagle/boston terrier (22 lbs) and she goes on runs with me all the time. I asked the vet last week what the limits are and she stated there are no limits as long as the dog is conditioned. So your little guy should do C25K with you, you can both build endurance at the same time.

I also hung the dog leash by the front door and whenever I put on my sneakers she runs over to the leash. It's like she saying "take me..take me" I alter the running routes just for her, on warm days I run by neighborhood ponds so she can go in for a little dip and cool down.
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I tried taking her jogging a few years ago (using a format similar to C25K) but she wasn't having it and would lag behind and try to just walk. I don't think she got what I was doing lol. I've thought about starting again to see how she does now that she's a bit older.

have her checked for hip dysplasia. mine would not run for anything. found out at 5 she has hip dysplasia that could have had effects on her since she was a pup
  • mikuja
    mikuja Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My dog is a great running partner! Winston is a 7ish year old English springer spaniel mix that we adopted from the humane society when he was about 3. He's only made me crash once (he sometimes stops to shake himself out right in front of me mid-stride). Also, I often end up choosing a route with public garbage cans.
    I'm currently training for my first half-marathon, and today was my longest run ever...8 miles. Right before I left I was second guessing myself if I should take him with me on such a long run, but he's been on the same training schedule as me so I went for it. We got home, and he was like, "8 miles? What 8 miles? Let's play fetch!"
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    If there is anyone lazier than me, it's my dog. I used to take him running with me and he'd lie down on the sidewalk.

^^^ This ^^^ Most of the time I'm trying to motivate my dog. Unless it's swimming. She loves to chase sticks in the water. But, I'm not that motivated to drive to places she can swim.
  • teddy_54
    teddy_54 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have an American bulldog that walks me, has done ever since she was a puppy!!

6633c2d4-9262-4dc6-9da8-52ecbe453eea_zpsf9139ab0.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My last running buddy

zBkJfJMl.jpg
  • Nothanksimfinenina
    Options
    I have a terrier puppy. She's insanely hyper if we don't walk her three times a day, and let her run around outside, and play ball, and make sure she has plenty of inside toys. So yeah, I'm much more active now that she's in my life.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I watch my 2 pit bulls run in the yard, and I am in awe. They're like bullets. Energy is a foreign concept to me. I have not ever experienced it in my entire life.
    Because they probably eat more than you do. Your body needs food to generate energy.
  • corinne0805
    corinne0805 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    We got home, and he was like, "8 miles? What 8 miles? Let's play fetch!"

I have a friend who owned a blue heeler. He mentioned one day he had taken his dog for a 10K run in the morning, then taken the heeler as he went trail riding with friends - they covered about 15 miles, and then went swimming once they were done. He got home and his dog still wanted to run outside!
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old Lab and she is my best friend. She is a very typical lab-- high energy. She needs two long walks everyday or she get's insane. We go for long walks everyday and it's helped my stamina to hike, and walk faster & longer.