When did it click for you?

Options
Hi all,

I'm only a couple weeks into my weight loss journey, though I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I kept rationalizing my weight. It was always like "Well at least I'm not above 150." Then it was "At least I can still wear this size jeans." Then it became "At least I am not considered obese." It never clicked for me that my growing weight was unhealthy or that I needed to change until one day when I was sitting down with my husband. I looked at him and said "Would you consider me obese?" He said "I love the way you look and I will love you at any weight, but if we're having a completely honest conversation in which you don't get mad at me, you have put on a little weight since we've been together and I can tell you aren't happy." That's when things clicked for me. I have to change my lifestyle and become a healthier person.

I'd love to hear anyone else's story, if you're willing to share. I'd also love to have anyone add me. I could use some friends to help me through!

Replies

• jeannelabanane
    jeannelabanane Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was obese and unhappy but completely unmotivated to do anything about it.
    One day, the strap on my shoes broke and I had to go buy another pair during lunch hour. After a good five minutes of sweating, grunting, and trying various positions to do up the strap on the shoes in the store because my huge belly was in the way (which was quite humiliating) I finally decided enough was enough.
    Happy to report that even though I’m only 13 pounds lighter – I can now easily do the strap on those same shoes – LOL.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    mine was similar. When my BMI (briefly) hit obese I freaked out. I've had some setbacks since then, but that's really it. Also I have high cholesterol (bolstered by thyroid issues)
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    It still hasn't.
  • 7ricarico
    7ricarico Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've had countless "clicking" moments, and would lose weight, but never did things right and always gained it back and then some. The last one was that I'd reached a weight that was consistently above what I weighed at 9 months pregnant the day my child was born, and it made me sick that I was walking around every day bigger than I was when I had a baby in my belly. I am now back down to the weight I was the morning he was born and focusing on losing weight slowly this time.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    On my 50th birthday, I weighed 270 lbs... have always been heavy...60lbs at 6 years old, 99 lbs at 9 years old... and it just went up from there... I vowed on my 50th that I will NOT be fat by my 60th birthday. My weight was up and down for a few years... managed to get down to 175lbs by age 54, but then also managed to reclaim about 60 of those lost pounds in the next 3 years. Never quite made the lifestyle change -- instead "dieted".

Took me until last year, June 30, 2013--- 16 days before my 58th birthday, to realize that I've wasted 8 years talking the talk, but not walking the walk... I had enough. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I finally realized that there is NO ONE but me that can make this happen. As much as I wished for a miracle... as much as I had dreamed I'd wake up 100lbs lighter one day, I knew it was never going to happen.

On July 1, 2013, it CLICKED... I don't know what "it" is, but 390 days later, I am wearing a size 4...(once wore a size 28) have literally lost one whole "me"... and more important -- am walking no less than 7 miles a day -- everyday --... I have found foods I thought I'd never like. I have changed the way I prepare my meals. I have my chocolate and my wine and my craft beers... I am enjoying my life and my only regret is that I wasted the first half of my life fat and feeling sorry for myself and telling myself that it is impossible to lose weight.

I simply ran out of excuses... and can't wait to see what age 60 will bring me!
  • laurenshredsit
    laurenshredsit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow. These are such inspiring stories. Thank you all for sharing!
  • laurenshredsit
    laurenshredsit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One day, the strap on my shoes broke and I had to go buy another pair during lunch hour. After a good five minutes of sweating, grunting, and trying various positions to do up the strap on the shoes in the store because my huge belly was in the way (which was quite humiliating) I finally decided enough was enough.
    Happy to report that even though I’m only 13 pounds lighter – I can now easily do the strap on those same shoes – LOL.

Sometimes it's the little victories that mean the most!
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I had developed a cough that got progressively worse over the course of a few years. Couldnt' figure out what was causing it. it was so bad, it kept me from enjoying the acitivities I love, namely hunting season. I didn't get to hunt a single day last season.

Went to see a new doctor on January 8th, 2014 and he told me he thought I had a hiatal hernia that was causing bad reflux, but if I wanted to have it fixed via surgery, I needed to lose 60 pounds.

I started my MFP and a realisticdiet that very day. I had the surgery after losing 50 pounds on June 18th and have now lost another 15 pounds since. I feel AMAZING since the reflux is gone.

Bambi better look out this year cuz I'm locked and loaded!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Kudos to your husband for saying that in such a kind and sensitive yet honest manner. So many times on this website I read horror stories about SO's who aren't so tactful, often rude or at the very least, dismissive. It sounds like he will be a great support to you, given that chance :-)

As for me...I always knew I needed to lose weight. I was morbidly obese for most of my adult years until pretty recently, topping out at 307 so it was no big shocker that I needed to lose 130 lb I've lost, and still need to lose a bit more.

But as for when it "clicked" for me...2 times...once when I just decided, I may not be able to improve dramatically but I'm gonna give it all I've got...lost 45 lb that way. The second time it clicked was when I joined this website and started tracking. I've been totally committed to it since that first couple of weeks when I saw the scale go 262, 260, 259.4...I was sold and it just clicked. Fast forward to today and 177.2, I'm a believer ;-)
  • jeannelabanane
    jeannelabanane Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Sometimes it's the little victories that mean the most!

It truly is! :)
  • kasterrett
    kasterrett Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a four month old daughter, and I think it clicked when I became pregnant with her (on accident). I had to have an emergency c-section because she was trying to come out sideways and her heart kept stopping, but I remember thinking at that moment, my God, how much fat do they have to move to get to her? Twenty pounds? thirty, forty, fifty maybe? I spent my entire pregnancy, including the last few months, just looking fat. Really, really fat. I could tell, and my friends could tell, and one very special little girl could tell. But other than that, no one ever asked about my pregnancy - strangers never said anything - and I knew, and know now, they didn't know if I was fat or pregnant. So they all aired on the side of caution.

While they were being polite, that really hit home for me and embarrassed me to no end.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Mine started for a very vain reason. I had just had my 3rd baby (my boyfriend's 1st) and I wanted him to be able to show me off.

So I started working out and watching my portions at 6 weeks postpartum. Then when I realized I enjoyed working out, I found how to eat more nutritious foods. My oldest 2 caught on to what I was doing and were proud of their mama! That's when I had my moment.

Since then, my husband and I workout and we eat much better AS A FAMILY because I want this to be "normal" for my children as they get older. It works and every time I "slip" or we eat fast food, my kids know it's not healthy but that we can find balance in life when it come to food.

My kids have always been my greatest motivation and I don't know why it took me so long to realize this when it comes to my health.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    The dreaded Pill Caddy . . . I was on one pill for High Blood Pressure and while discussing the side effects with my doctor she suggested another pill to counter the side effects of the first pill and I could envision was that large pill caddy my mother has. Not the way I wanted to live.

I knew I wanted to and needed to lose weight and knew it would kick in one day. I started by taking a tour of my local gym and when they sent me an offer that I could not refuse (never pay an initiation fee) I joined and started with that. I told everyone that I was not on a diet and so do not look at or comment about what I am eating :angry: Mind your own business - I work with several serial dieters! I always intended to make changes that I could actually live with, my first recipe on MFP was for My Coffee with sugar and creamer - not giving that up until I deceide to.

My ultimate goal was to become active, I just wanted to be able to do things that I wanted and not have my weight hold me back and of course avoid the dreaded Pill Caddy - I am officially several months of pill free with no pre-conditions!
  • kittyfarmer1988
    Options
    Seeing myself in a department store mirror. My stomach was sticking out further than my boobs and I just wanted to cry and throw up. The next day I quit all of the junk food I'd basically been living off of and transitioned to a much more healthy way of living. Not only have I lost weight, look better, feel better, I'm actually learning to love vegetables! I used to be a meat and potatoes only kind of person and now I finish everyone's broccoli! Actually I went back to the same mall with that full length mirror two days ago and I ate one of those big pretzels as my first "treat" in like a month. I felt so awful afterwards I never want junk food again!
  • alzat2014
    alzat2014 Posts: 2
    Options
    I lost about 15 pounds during the winter months and since then I have gained it back plus some... I think it hit me when I looked in the mirror when I didnt feel as confident when I was losing the weight
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This last winter when I put an additional twelve pounds on top of the eleven pounds I'd gained after my wedding. So 23 pounds in a year. Yikes. My clothes stopped fitting but I refused to buy a larger size. So I wore tight uncomfortable clothing and got angry enough to finally do something about it! Feel free to add me, I totally understand the newlywed bliss weight gain. You can lose it, btw!! I give a lot of credit to mfp to helping me start, stay on track and lose the weight. Good luck!
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that your husband sounds like a really amazing, supportive guy. I am lucky to have one as well. :smile:
  • DAWNSTEP
    DAWNSTEP Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am 35 and have been around 250 or more since my early 20's. I am now 275. I have yo-yo'd back and forth with different diets but for some reason the last 2 weeks I feel like I REALLY can do it this time. I have replaced my facebook obsession with with MFP - adding friends for motivation (feel free to add me please!!) I moved from Ky to Fl almost 10 months ago for a new start - drastically change my life - and I've been just floating by. NOW is the time! I live in Southwest Florida - It is HOT! I don't want to be wearing size 22 capris and t-shirts and covering up my body. I want to wear cute shorts and tank tops! Get a cute bathing suit instead of a plus size not so cute one. It's time to focus on me!!
  • nlstarch
    nlstarch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow! These are SO encouraging! Thank you everyone!

Mine actually started a year ago when at a pool party, a "friend" said she'd take a picture with me, but not our beautifully skinny friend. I was hurt, but didn't say anything for . . . a year. Yeah, a YEAR and only after she did the same thing again. I am very confident in my body, and, while not where I'd like to be health-wise, do not feel shame or comment on my body to others as is often the case amongst the girls in my group of friends. After this same "friend" told me how brave I was to wear a bikini in front of the guys, I did two things. 1. I moved her to an arm's length friend and 2. started riding my bike and using Myfitnesspal. Sure, it started off as a revenge move, but now I've found activities I LOVE doing, I feel much better, and am starting to find other reasons for losing weight and getting healthy, such as GETTING HEALTHY. Yeah!
  • mrshewitt1975
    mrshewitt1975 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me, it was after I followed a 21-day challenge with a friend of mine. We went 21 days with no soda, chips, crackers, cakes, cookies, muffins, white bread, chocolate, etc. We also went to the gym faithfully each day. When it was over, she had lost like 10 lbs and I had lost NADA. It infuriated me and lit a fire that has been smoldering for over 10 years now. I was DETERMINED to figure out how to beat obesity.

In the 3 months since we started, I have lost 16 lbs. I think I would have lost more, but I've become obsessed with seeing how much I can lift and seeing my arm muscles start to have definition for the first time EVER. My goal is now to be able to do 10 pull-ups to earn a Marine T-shirt at one of my daughter's football games this fall. :)