Stop counting cleaning, walking to the mail box, etc.

Options
12346»

Replies

• smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My friend counted playing piano/accompanying my 40 minute children's music class. I told her to shut her mouth and do some jumping jacks.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Why do people complain about not losing as fast as they'd like and then count cleaning (vigorous effort) as exercise? Unless cleaning is dragging a 300 lb porcelain tub out of a two story building, you did not burn 300 calories.

Seriously, stop.

This is the point lots have missed.

For those who are losing like they want to it really doesn't apply.

For those on my FL who complain they "can't seem to lose" and want advice I look and if I see cleaning, mowing etc I tell them...if you did all that stuff before you started losing then don't count it....it's not helping.
    So, a chubby person who was an avid cyclist - say, 100 miles a week for the round number - whose base activity level (which doesn't account for the cycling hobby, just their job) is 'lightly active' and consistently ate over their maintenance calories shouldn't count the 100 miles of cycling once they start eating at or below maintenance?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I know why they do it what I can't figure out is why someone would care enough to ask on a message board.
  • bukowski_shine
    bukowski_shine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    maybe take your own advice and get over it?

Because OP crying about someone he chose to friend is the same as me having to look at OPs ****post on the forum & forum recent activity. How2logic?

IJtZmtD.gif
    Is this really the biggest problem in your life that you have the time to make a post crying about this instead of addressing another issue in your life? Seriously ?

If you don't like what someone posts, then ignore them.
    I like irony.
    I just reposted what she posted above because I liked the irony.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    This topic has me wanting to walk the dog.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The OP was obviously directing this post towards those who inflate normal daily activity that is more than likely already calculated by whatever you used to calculate your macros, unless you chose sedentary couch potato as daily activity. Also more specifically those who do this, and then eat back their spent calories and continue to not see results. Chances are someone read this and stopped doing and might actually make some progress because of it, if you are butt hurt over the OP's post then take a walk to your mail box and burn off 6000 calories, make sure you log it.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I post my daily chores (ie feeding animals) because it takes walking about three miles and over an hour to get it all done.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Why do people complain about not losing as fast as they'd like and then count cleaning (vigorous effort) as exercise? Unless cleaning is dragging a 300 lb porcelain tub out of a two story building, you did not burn 300 calories.

Seriously, stop.

For those on my FL who complain they "can't seem to lose" and want advice I look and if I see cleaning, mowing etc I tell them...if you did all that stuff before you started losing then don't count it....it's not helping.

I mean really I know mowing the lawn adds steps and if it's push mowing a gas powered mower it's can burn calories...but what if it's self propelled???? eh not so much.

Or cleaning...do I break a sweat cleaning my house...not normally...it's not that dirty...now if I am spring cleaning where I am washing walls moving furniture yah it's a workout...but I still wouldn't count it...why because I did all that stuff when I was fat and it didn't help me one bit...for weight loss...I stayed fat...until I got serious about a calorie deficit...

Oh and btw..MFP gives the description "walking the dog" for a walk that is 3mph...

ETA: but in all reality...if people want to log cleaning etc...log it...but if you ask for advice and that is given take it seriously otherwise I will do me you do you.

I've been losing so it doesn't really apply to me. But when I do deep cleaning at my house I do log it because I am dripping in sweat. It's not a huge amount of calories and I'm not eating them back. Scrubbing walls, bathrooms and my kitchen floor. I did it before I started MFP but I try and work harder at it and sweat more. I like to see all the activity I do but of course I don't record regular daily cooking and cleaning up. I'm sure it's burn something and better than just sitting around but I'm not sweating, out of breath, or anything.

For food preparation - I only logged this a couple times when I had family over and I was cooking/in the kitchen for hours. It's not like it was a huge calorie burner anyway.
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you saw some of the messes my kids made you wouldn't be saying that. :sad:
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    But.. but.. my mailbox is on the other side of my neighborhood. A 10 minute walk there, and a 10 minute walk back. 20 minutes. :tongue:

I just count it as 'walking'.

I don't get it when people log stuff like, washing the dishes. But some people really are sedentary and therefore, have MFP set to something like 1200 calories. So, I'd actually prefer people who have it set so low to log everything. As setting it to not sedentary would take all those minimal tasks into count.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I follow TDEE so it's not like I'm eating back my burns anyway. But personally I find it helpful to log if I've spent xxx amount of time doing something. It builds up a bigger picture.

Someone could think ok I only went to the gym once last week. And yet when they look back in their diary it was because they spent 1 day deep cleaning, 2 days gardening, 1 day running errands or whatever. It's supposed to be a tool to log activity & that's what alot of people do.

I'll continue to log as I choose & what I choose if someone doesn't like it meh! - I'm sure the world won't stop turning because of it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Seriously, stop.
    Why are you so worried about what other people do?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Seriously, stop.

So, a chubby person who was an avid cyclist - say, 100 miles a week for the round number - whose base activity level (which doesn't account for the cycling hobby, just their job) is 'lightly active' and consistently ate over their maintenance calories shouldn't count the 100 miles of cycling once they start eating at or below maintenance?

This thread amuses me. I like seeing people try to describe fringe special cases as something everyone has to solve for.

Divisive threads are fun to watch, people get so up in arms.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    The OP was obviously directing this post towards those who inflate normal daily activity that is more than likely already calculated by whatever you used to calculate your macros, unless you chose sedentary couch potato as daily activity. Also more specifically those who do this, and then eat back their spent calories and continue to not see results. Chances are someone read this and stopped doing and might actually make some progress because of it, if you are butt hurt over the OP's post then take a walk to your mail box and burn off 6000 calories, make sure you log it.

Exactly.
This discussion has been closed.