Running in subzero temps

Scorpiomom222
Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay. Y'all are gonna think I'm crazy to do this, but I have been training too hard not to run this race. I just saw the forecast for Thursday, which is my very first 5K. The windchill is supposed to be -25 degrees Fehrenheit and for those outside the United States, that's -32 degrees Celsius. Truth is, I might be a bit crazy to go ahead with the race. lol I need to know what I should wear. How many layers? Double up on the gloves? Should I put a scarf over my face? Please help prepare me for this COLD run!

Replies

• bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    I don't run but last year while actively dieting I walked in below freezing temps and you definitely need something over your face because the cold air burns your lungs. And yes, I think you might be a little crazy but good for you for sticking to your goal!
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    man, that's a tough one. I'd wear a ski mask.
  • Scorpiomom222
    I figured as much. Thanks. I just know I can't wimp out in the middle of the race, cuz I'll surely freeze. haha
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    I live in North Dakota and feel your pain! Under Armour is a life saver for me. You will want is a little tight. I have it in a hat, glove inserts, and long underwear. It is a little pricey, though, but works.
  • Scorpiomom222
    I live in North Dakota and feel your pain! Under Armour is a life saver for me. You will want is a little tight. I have it in a hat, glove inserts, and long underwear. It is a little pricey, though, but works.

Ummm.... yeah, I needed a sponsor to get the registration paid for, so I can't afford underarmour right now. lol
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Yikes, that is darn cold! You are pretty dedicated to be considering running in that kind of weather! Do you know what the real temperature is projected to be? What I mean is, is it going to be a very cold day with a light wind making it colder, or just a slighlty cold day with a really strong wind? I think that might change what you decide to wear. Either way you need to protect your extremities most of all, I would say. I've seen special running belaclavas that cover your whole face but still let you see out. Good luck with your first 5K!!
  • Scorpiomom222
    the day is supposed to be -5 overall, so the windchill makes it feel 20 degrees colder.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    WOW! Good for you, girl! I wanted to do a "Turkey Trot" around here (Twin Cities area), but there's no way I'm doing one with the kind of freckin' weather we're expected to have on Thursday morning!!! Below zero wind chills, sleet/snow, etc...

I already got a bunch of races in over the summer and fall (my first year of racing)...they are fun (addicting). Best of luck and cover up that exposed skin.:laugh:
  • Scorpiomom222
    WOW! Good for you, girl! I wanted to do a "Turkey Trot" around here (Twin Cities area), but there's no way I'm doing one with the kind of freckin' weather we're expected to have on Thursday morning!!! Below zero wind chills, sleet/snow, etc...

I already got a bunch of races in over the summer and fall (my first year of racing)...they are fun (addicting). Best of luck and cover up that exposed skin.:laugh:

Thanks. I'll try to use my best judgement on what to wear, but some might argue that my judgement is skewed since I'm running when it's that cold. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    I live in northeast MONTANA and this morning it was MINUS 16 and that is NOT adding the windchill! But I suggest you wear running tights and wind pants along with a spandex/coton top or two, a long john shirt with a wind breaker type jacket! I wear knit gloves, beanie cap AND a neck scarf that I bring up over my face for when I am facing the wind. Our winters are very cold -25 to -40 is actually quite normal. Believe it or not we humans adapt! I run in our winters and have been called "crazy" on a number of outings! I love fitness and I love fresh air!!
    Best wishes on your run and remember you always run faster in races which is going to make you sweat!!!
  • Scorpiomom222
    I live in northeast MONTANA and this morning it was MINUS 16 and that is NOT adding the windchill! But I suggest you wear running tights and wind pants along with a spandex/coton top or two, a long john shirt with a wind breaker type jacket! I wear knit gloves, beanie cap AND a neck scarf that I bring up over my face for when I am facing the wind. Our winters are very cold -25 to -40 is actually quite normal. Believe it or not we humans adapt! I run in our winters and have been called "crazy" on a number of outings! I love fitness and I love fresh air!!
    Best wishes on your run and remember you always run faster in races which is going to make you sweat!!!

AAAAHHH!!!! We Montana gals gotta stick together! lol Thanks for the info! I have been in Montana my whole life, just not faced with having to run 3 miles in our yucky Montana winter weather. haha
  • Run4iiiiiit
    I'm so glad I live in Florida.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Boooo! I'm not talking to you anymore! lol I wish I lived somewhere more mild.

ETA: I hope you know I'm just kidding about not talking to you. lol
  • Run4iiiiiit
    That's ok, we have high 90s with 100% humidity in August.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Hi, I live in Indiana and don't have the temps you do but it is still cold here!! I too have been walking/running in the cold. I went to ****'s sporting goods store and in the ski area there is a mask that covers your nose and mouth and keeps your head warm. I bought one the other day and used it on Tuesday and I was so warm & toasty...since it is made for people that ski it is made to keep the cold out!

Good luck!! I did my first 5k and the temp was 31 and that was cold enough :laugh:

Mary
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    I feel for ya! Tomorrow is our Turkey Trot here in Iowa too.... its so cold, wind is blowing crazy wild today, suppose to snow and rain tonight......
    everyone is backing out on me that said they would run with me!! Do I still go anyways? I'm not a great runner!!! I can't run the whole thing, will have to walk some!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Scorpiomom222
    You know what, Stac? This is supposed to be our coldest turkey trot ever, and you better believe I'm going. Just to be able to say that you did it and what sort of conditions you persevered and stuck through, ya know? It's not just about that. I want to do it just to say I did the Huffing For Stuffing Race and I never stopped, not even once, and I never backed down. And I'm proud of myself.
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    When I run in the cold, I cut the tip/top off of a cheap winter beanie/hat. Then, I can slide the hat down over my neck and mouth.

It's a cheap way to create the same "ski mask" approach so that the air coming into your lungs gets heated a little passing through the beanie and hitting the heat the mast creates around your face.
  • Scorpiomom222
    When I run in the cold, I cut the tip/top off of a cheap winter beanie/hat. Then, I can slide the hat down over my neck and mouth.

It's a cheap way to create the same "ski mask" approach so that the air coming into your lungs gets heated a little passing through the beanie and hitting the heat the mast creates around your face.
    Oh hey thanks! I actually do have a cheap beanie I could cut up. :bigsmile: The people on here are SOOO smart! hehe
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115

Oh hey thanks! I actually do have a cheap beanie I could cut up. :bigsmile: The people on here are SOOO smart! hehe

Glad to help. You'll find that the cheap cotton material works, but if you're going to be running in the severe cold over and over, I'd save up and invest in a higher quality material that feels better on your face and doesn't build up as much moisture.
This discussion has been closed.