Running in subzero temps

2»

Replies

• Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    When I run in the cold, I cut the tip/top off of a cheap winter beanie/hat. Then, I can slide the hat down over my neck and mouth.

It's a cheap way to create the same "ski mask" approach so that the air coming into your lungs gets heated a little passing through the beanie and hitting the heat the mast creates around your face.
    Oh hey thanks! I actually do have a cheap beanie I could cut up. :bigsmile: The people on here are SOOO smart! hehe

Glad to help. You'll find that the cheap cotton material works, but if you're going to be running in the severe cold over and over, I'd save up and invest in a higher quality material that feels better on your face and doesn't build up as much moisture.

I'm gonna be saving up for some underarmour. :bigsmile: I love that stuff!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    I've JUST started running in the morning and y'all have motivated me to pieces...seriously!! My partner crapped out on me this morning because it's all over the news of a "freeze warning" here in California. It got down to about 30 degrees overnight. YES, it's frigging cold, but I went anyway. I put the dogs jacket on and hit the cold. Last night in the low 40's I was in the gym's outdoor (heated) pool. People thought I was nuts.
    I am so inspired by reading all the posts about going out anyway. Good luck and yes, it will be cold, but you are determined and strong and you WILL get warm again!!
    Have fun!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Be sure to cover your head (& ears) as that's where the heat tries to escape. Try to focus on breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth, as that will help warm the air up before it gets to your lungs. Mittens are better than gloves, as it allows your fingers to naturally heat eachother. Wear wool or wicking socks, and if your shoes allow a 2nd pair of cotton socks too. Keep exposed skin to a minimum, and make sure your core (chest & stomach area) stays warm. If that area feels too chilled at all - STOP RUNNING & GET INSIDE! :happy:

Good luck!

If I need to stop running at all in this race, especially when it's half over, I will freeze, cuz I will be 1.5 miles away from the heated tents. Thanks for the advice. :bigsmile:
  • Scorpiomom222
    I've JUST started running in the morning and y'all have motivated me to pieces...seriously!! My partner crapped out on me this morning because it's all over the news of a "freeze warning" here in California. It got down to about 30 degrees overnight. YES, it's frigging cold, but I went anyway. I put the dogs jacket on and hit the cold. Last night in the low 40's I was in the gym's outdoor (heated) pool. People thought I was nuts.
    I am so inspired by reading all the posts about going out anyway. Good luck and yes, it will be cold, but you are determined and strong and you WILL get warm again!!
    Have fun!

Shush! That is prime running temperatures. lol I would love for my race to be 30 degrees. haha Unfortunately, it will feel 55 degrees colder. haha
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    how did it go?
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Running in the cold is great! I love it anyway - have been running every winter since 2007. This is what I wear when running in -30 or more:

Combination of gloves/mitts - this way I can take a layer off or have both layers with me.
    A warm hat that goes over my ears. I even wear a neck warmer that I can pull over the bottom of my hat to double-up over the ears and can bring up my neck warmer up to my nose if necessary.
    I wear my winter pants with a thermo layer underneath.
    I wear a thermo layer for my upper body and another long sleeve technical shirt as well as my running room wind breaker. If it's really windy, I will put another layer underneath my jacket just so I won't feel the icycles from my sweat coming through my jacket.
    For exposed skin, you may want to get body glide - this way you won't freeze.
    This is a 5K, so you should be okay with this... These tactics I use when running my half marathons...

Good luck to you!!! :)

PS - You are NOT crazy, you are amazing!
  • Scorpiomom222
    how did it go?

Long story short, my husband purposely made me late by puttering around the house, and when I got to the starting line, I was 15 minutes late for the race and they wouldn't let me run. I am CRUSHED!!!!! I cried for an hour....... and I hate my husband right now. I won't even look at him.
  • man, that's a tough one. I'd wear a ski mask.

Ditto! Possibly a winter hat and ski goggles as well
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    how did it go?

Long story short, my husband purposely made me late by puttering around the house, and when I got to the starting line, I was 15 minutes late for the race and they wouldn't let me run. I am CRUSHED!!!!! I cried for an hour....... and I hate my husband right now. I won't even look at him.

I'm crushed for you. That totally sucks. The good news is that races aren't hard to find. I hope you find another one soon. You're training didn't go to waste regardless.
  • Scorpiomom222
    You're right. Thank you!
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    that sucks. sorry to hear it.
This discussion has been closed.