Why do people criticise clean eaters/healthy lifestyles.

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wow. There are an awful lot of pots in this thread.

th?id=HN.608027907464496801&pid=15.1

:wink:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    While the style of eating is often critiqued, and sometimes mocked, it is typically the underlying superiority complex that many have, as evidenced by several posts in this thread, that is castigated.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Because a lot of clean eaters are preachy. It's like why people criticise the religious, or vegetarians. A lot of people who undergo a certain big lifestyle shift feel the need to convert others under the label of "educate". I like everyone, so long as they keep their opinions away from my throat.
    Heh, I just read an article on when one can call oneself yogini and while it was written humorously, I totally agree with the criteria "Once you've stopped evangelising and do it only for yourself". Our egos are surprisingly large and passive-aggressive often stems in the scenario of this thread, when someone doesn't even realise that's what they're doing.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I eat the exact same way and I feel good about myself as well! People are just jealous or insecure about their own bad eating habits so they may make comments or not understand or try to persuade you to eat the crap they are eating. Misery loves company! Be strong and just ignore them or distance yourselves from negative people.

I try not to talk about my healthy eating habits or persuade others to eat that way unless they ask and genuinely want to know. There's no reason to. I feel happy, healthy, more balanced, and in control of my eating which is a good thing! You are putting nutritious foods into your body! No need to be ashamed of that! Just smile and know that you are doing something right. You don't need other's approval.
  • Leana93412
    Leana93412 Posts: 162
    Options
    People tell me healthy food is yucky.

And I'm like... :huh:

...You don't like nuts and honey?? (My favourite treat)
    ...Or dark chocolate covered bananas?
    ... Or steak and real butter?

They must think potatoes are evil.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I get that, and don't care, as they eat their big mac. I eat healthy for me not them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat clean 90% of the time.
    I tend to eat low sugar (5-6 teaspoons a day is my max. Usually less), gluten free minus rye bread on Sunday, unprocessed foods & lots of vegetables on a daily basis, combined with gluten free carbs like quinoa, brown rice, sweet potato, fats like nuts olive oil coconut oil avocado, & protein like eggs chicken & pea protein.
    I make raw brownies, healthy 'Nutella', sweet potato fries, healthy pancakes & indulge in healthy treats like raw cacao almond butter cups & cacao hot chocolate. I eat dairy once a day and choose goats & sheep.

However I receive so much criticism from normal people on how I eat. I'm boring, obsessive, fussy, extreme & must be on a diet to lose weight.

I personally argue that I'm not obsessive, just educated. Fussy? Well I'm allowed to be fussy about what I put in my body. Extreme? Extreme is obesity rates, diabetes & being addicted to sugar & fast food. And diet? I eat in a way that gives me clear skin, energy, balanced blood sugar levels, great weight, energy & concentration sustained all day until bed, no more ibs and overall happiness.

Is anyone in the same boat here? I'm the only person I know that eats to nourish and solve my health problems, so no one else understands- do you think my way of eating is extreme?
    I do occasionally cheat. However my taste buds have changed and I love to indulge in quality dark chocolate & pasta dishes rather then the sweet stuff anymore. I'm not afraid to eat 'unclean' or 'unhealthy' foods I just see how good I am eating different foods and loving it.

Maybe you're coming across snobby because of statements like the bold. If you say something like "I'm just educated" then people may feel you're implying that those who don't eat like you are not. Even if that's not what you mean, it can rub people the wrong way. Likewise if you call their food "garbage," "junk," or "crap" it sounds like judgment (you didn't say those things in your post, but a lot of clean eaters do).

I'd recommend not discussing your food choices with other people. I'm not personally open to criticism or advice so I just don't allow that to be a topic of conversation.

I think that your way of eating would be extreme to me. However, if you're happy doing it and it doesn't seem extreme to you then that's what matters.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Most people I come in contact with don't criticize me at all. But in the past the ones who did were usually women I was either involved with or trying to get involved with. They felt insecure as if I were going to judge what THEY ate because of the way I eat and workout. Even though I don't judge anyone. But I guess it's an insecure thing. Next woman I date will either need to be very secure or also very into fitness.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It's probably a combination of two things.

1) They feel threatened, jealous or inferior to you. Many people wish they were putting more effort into their health, and seeing/hearing others making the effort just makes them feel bad about themselves and they get defensive.

2) You might be smug or condescending about your diet. Whether they mean to or not, many clean eaters make comments/statements than can easily be construed as preachy and superior. For example, I have an acquaintance who is always making a big deal about how all her produce is grown locally and all her meat is local, free-range organic.. She always making a big deal over how much better her food is than the grocery store food the rest of us eat. It's annoying.

I think the best way to go about eating healthy is to do it but don't blather on about it. No one likes to feel like they're being judged and no one likes to have their failings pointed out.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    People are calling you extreme? IMO, whether or not you are extreme depends on

1. Whether or not you look down upon other people who do not eat like you do.
    and
    2. Whether you have a sustainable relationship with food that does not cause you mental duress.

If you are doing one of those things, reevaluate.
    If you are doing neither of those things, don't worry about what anyone else says.

Edited for clarity.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Because there's nothing wrong with gluten unless you have an allergy to it. I eat very healthfully but I'm not gluten free....does that make me a filthy ragamuffin? I also don't have the time or inclination to "juice" so I drink a highly processed, low sodium V8 pretty much every morning...the horror!

soapbox.gif
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    ^^ Can we refrain from assuming we are all American...thanks I am from New Zealand for a start and that other guy used pounds as his currency.

FWIW, I wasn't assuming we were all Americans, which is why I specified American culture as being this way which is my own culture. If I assumed we were all Americans I would've said "our culture" as if we all share a common culture. Which we don't...though I almost did type that and changed it. So....okay, good point. I forget sometimes how many people from around the world are here. :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Because they think they are automagically 'healthy'
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I eat the exact same way and I feel good about myself as well! People are just jealous or insecure about their own bad eating habits so they may make comments or not understand or try to persuade you to eat the crap they are eating. Misery loves company! Be strong and just ignore them or distance yourselves from negative people.

I try not to talk about my healthy eating habits or persuade others to eat that way unless they ask and genuinely want to know. There's no reason to. I feel happy, healthy, more balanced, and in control of my eating which is a good thing! You are putting nutritious foods into your body! No need to be ashamed of that! Just smile and know that you are doing something right. You don't need other's approval.
    I actually think that you come across as one of the negative people you are insinuating are someone else.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    People tell me healthy food is yucky.

And I'm like... :huh:

...You don't like nuts and honey?? (My favourite treat)
    ...Or dark chocolate covered bananas?
    ... Or steak and real butter?

They must think potatoes are evil.

Can you cook for me?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's interesting, a quick comparasion of the food diaries of those claiming that they eat clean and allude to the fact that the rest of us are jealous, can't stick with it, aren't healthy, etc doesn't show a whole lot of difference between my own diet.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

And yet there are all these posts about "why do people criticize my clean eating habits" so before being judgmental on others motives maybe it is an insecurity in ones eating habits that is the cause of these posts
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, I grew up in a very impoverished, food desert type environment. I eat healthier than most people I know, but I'm far from a snob about it. I understand where they're coming from, and I think sometimes its a matter of privilege.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Because after reading your post I'm guessing you think I'm uneducated because I love the crap out of processed food.

FWIW, if you projected a holier than thou attitude at me in real life, i'd probably make fun of you too. :wink:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'll criticise 'clean' eaters because they think it's healthy ;).

But then as opposed to the normal person, I'll follow it up by asking for proof about why they think it's healthy, which is typically where their reasoning falls down :).

Oh and I should add that I've always considered it rather silly that people dismiss people with differing views as 'jealous' ;).