Why do people criticise clean eaters/healthy lifestyles.

Options

Replies

• bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am going to adapt a joke I once heard about Vegans:

Q: How do you know someone eats "clean"?
    A: Don't worry they will tell you.

I don't care how other people eat in the normal course of things but I have been known to throw stuff at the screen when Alice Waters is on TV.

note: I know Farm to Table isn't clean eating but it's in the same zip code.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It might be much simpler than it seems. With many social interactions involving food, people around you may find that you are not connecting with them on that level. It's not jealousy, it's just human nature to want a group to be homogeneous in as many aspects as possible, especially those that involve social connections.

As for people on MFP, many of them may feel that such sacrifices are unnecessary and are based on falsely overhyped and misguided health aspects of certain restrictions. Some may have the "I just want to help and make your life better and easier" motive and others may feel "who are you to judge me for eating ice cream when what I'm doing is obviously working".

I'm in neither camp. If you are happy doing what you are doing and if it works for you then all power to you. You are not trying to pry my candy bar out of my hands, so I don't really care what food fuels your endeavours.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    While the style of eating is often critiqued, and sometimes mocked, it is typically the underlying superiority complex that many have, as evidenced by several posts in this thread, that is castigated.

Quoting this because it's exactly what I was thinking.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    They may not be criticizing your clean-eating habits. They just might be criticizing YOU.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If you speak to the people around you in the manner of your post, then you very likely come off as uneducated and condescending. My advice to you is threefold: (1) spend some time educating yourself about nutrition away from scaremongering websites and sales pitches, (2) after that, do whatever you feel is necessary for your own health, as we're all going to interpret things a bit differently and we each need to be our own best helpers, but (3) learn to keep your mouth shut rather than preaching to people about what they "should" do. It's fine to discuss it on a website that centers on nutrition and fitness (that's what the majority of these forum subjects are focused on after all), but people generally don't want to hear it IRL. It's your thing, not theirs.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Because a lot of clean eaters are preachy. It's like why people criticise the religious, or vegetarians. A lot of people who undergo a certain big lifestyle shift feel the need to convert others under the label of "educate". I like everyone, so long as they keep their opinions away from my throat.

^ Yup. People really aren't going to bother you unless it's something that comes up in conversation frequently. By making a big deal out of "clean eating" and whatnot, you are implicitly criticizing their own lifestyle choice. Feel free to do what's best for you, but other people probably don't want to hear about it all the time. It feels condescending.

And to be honest, I tend to roll my eyes a bit when someone uses "clean" to describe their eating habits. All I can think of is an imaginary Gwyneth Paltrow tsk-tsking me while I eat some toast and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Because a lot of clean eaters are preachy. It's like why people criticise the religious, or vegetarians. A lot of people who undergo a certain big lifestyle shift feel the need to convert others under the label of "educate". I like everyone, so long as they keep their opinions away from my throat.

Yep this, eat what you want just don't bang on about it or look down on people that eat dirty.
  • Leana93412
    Leana93412 Posts: 162
    Options
    People tell me healthy food is yucky.

And I'm like... :huh:

...You don't like nuts and honey?? (My favourite treat)
    ...Or dark chocolate covered bananas?
    ... Or steak and real butter?

They must think potatoes are evil.

Can you cook for me?

:bigsmile:
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Yep this, eat what you want just don't bang on about it or look down on people that eat dirty.
    I think this is why nobody bothers me about it except someone when I get close to them. I don't talk about food with people that much but if I'm in a relationship it's going to come up at some point even though I don't really care what they eat. In the past I've been criticized by either what I eat, when I workout, or for just logging my food. This only happens from those that I'm in a relationship with regardless of what their eating habits / workout plans might be. But at the same time they tell me I look good and 'can eat whatever I want' or skip some workouts. No I can't or I'll get fat like anyone else does especially at my age (41).
  • mshannond
    mshannond Posts: 60
    Options
    Educated as in treating my illnesses. I've done the research to help ibs & stop my constant fatigue, and it's helped my skin.
  • mshannond
    Options
    I've explained to people countless times that I do this for my health.
    Having bloating due to ibs, a string of re occurring illnesses, pcos, constant tiredness at a young age isn't normal.
    I do not care how others eat, I simply get annoyed when I'm criticised for doing something to help myself no longer be sick.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Having bloating due to ibs, a string of re occurring illnesses, pcos, constant tiredness at a young age isn't normal.
    I do not care how others eat, I simply get annoyed when I'm criticised for doing something to help myself no longer be sick.

I had IBS, GERD and heart disease. IBS and GERD are total gone and my heart issues is only a slight issue now. That's with eating 80% healthy and 20% whatever I want, ice cream, chocolate, ice cream, fast food, etc. :bigsmile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wow. There are an awful lot of pots in this thread.
    While the style of eating is often critiqued, and sometimes mocked, it is typically the underlying superiority complex that many have, as evidenced by several posts in this thread, that is castigated.

z205099164.gif

And OP, seriously.
    I personally argue that I'm not obsessive, just educated.
    I'm the only person I know that eats to nourish and solve my health problems, so no one else understands- do you think my way of eating is extreme?

You might want to consider that it is your attitude towards others that is getting you the feedback you are receiving.
  • mshannond
    Options
    If you speak to the people around you in the manner of your post, then you very likely come off as uneducated and condescending. My advice to you is threefold: (1) spend some time educating yourself about nutrition away from scaremongering websites and sales pitches, (2) after that, do whatever you feel is necessary for your own health, as we're all going to interpret things a bit differently and we each need to be our own best helpers, but (3) learn to keep your mouth shut rather than preaching to people about what they "should" do. It's fine to discuss it on a website that centers on nutrition and fitness (that's what the majority of these forum subjects are focused on after all), but people generally don't want to hear it IRL. It's your thing, not theirs.

I don't preach to them. I've adopted this way of eating to fix various illnesses and am now better and ibs is no longer causing me great pain every day. I find it unfair to be obsessive and extreme considering that I've done this to improve my health and am not doing anyone any harm.
  • mshannond
    Options
    Wow. There are an awful lot of pots in this thread.

z205099164.gif

And OP, seriously.
    I personally argue that I'm not obsessive, just educated.
    I'm the only person I know that eats to nourish and solve my health problems, so no one else understands- do you think my way of eating is extreme?

You might want to consider that it is your attitude towards others that is getting you the feedback you are receiving.

I I only respond. I have explained many times I'm trying to help with health issues and I meant I feel left out as there's no one else who necessarily finds enjoyment from clean cooking & healthy lifestyle blogs.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It might have to do with the way society views obese people. Because of this many people feel inadequate in how they look, and when they come across a clean eater, they assume that this person is looking at them critically, so they immediately go into defense mode.

I had a co-worker who was always complaining about how I was always wanting to know how many calories were in everything I ate before I ate it. But after seeing the results of my calorie counting ways she actually went and joined MFP and is trying to do the same as well.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I don't preach to them. I've adopted this way of eating to fix various illnesses and am now better and ibs is no longer causing me great pain every day. I find it unfair to be obsessive and extreme considering that I've done this to improve my health and am not doing anyone any harm.

Whether you believe that you are "preaching" or not, please see the bold above.
  • mshannond
    Options

I had IBS, GERD and heart disease. IBS and GERD are total gone and my heart issues is only a slight issue now. That's with eating 80% healthy and 20% whatever I want, ice cream, chocolate, ice cream, fast food, etc. :bigsmile:

I wish I could, but even small amounts causes problems. I'd rather abstain then cause myself discomfort. But you're lucky.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I also calorie cycle all week so that throws people off too!

What calories cycle? Just curious.