Rice White/Brown?

Options
I tried looking it up and get both white rice is not healthy to white rice is better ect... Since brown rice is not processed as much I assume its better but was looking for advice, with time constraints is instant white rice heathy? if I have time of course id rather cook regular brown rice but I was looking for a quick alternative.

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating tons of it, the nutritional differences aren't going to make much difference in the end. Eat whichever one you prefer.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    If you have an Asian store near you, definitely check out the rice section as there might be some Korean and Japanese microwavable individual portions of pretty much all types of rice--brown, white, black, mixed, mixed with sweet potato/seeds, etc. They are awesome!! In general, there isn't that much of a difference besides fiber content and micronutrients. White rice might be in higher calories as well. I prefer brown for the nutty taste but as a southeast Asian, rice is rice; doesn't matter what color. It's like a basic, filler food that must be in every meal to us; no question about it.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating tons of it, the nutritional differences aren't going to make much difference in the end. Eat whichever one you prefer.

This.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Eat whichever one you prefer.

+1

From what I understand, the difference is negligible so I just eat the one that tastes better to me (white btw).
  • nokitchen
    nokitchen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Eat whichever one you prefer.

+1

From what I understand, the difference is negligible so I just eat the one that tastes better to me (white btw).
    With one predictable exception*: Brown rice has over six times as much fiber as white. (source: https://www.google.com/search?num=50&rlz=1C1LENN_enUS471US471&es_sm=93&q=brown+rice+vs+white+rice+nutrition&oq=brown+rice+vs+white+rice+nutrition&gs_l=serp.3...0.0.0.112028.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..49.serp..0.0.0.IFTlC-a7i7g, which in turn comes from the USDA). If you're having trouble eating enough fruits and leafy greens to get your fiber amounts brown rice can be a nice addition.

*It also has a lot more magnesium, but I'm not aware of anyone who wonders, "Am I getting enough magnesium today?"
  • Jason7Scott
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I spent some time looking up the good vs bad foods. Naturally, white rice/pasta is high GI, brown rice/pasta is low GI. This means brown rice will digest slower, keeping you fuller for longer. White rice will give you a nice energy spike, but process quickly, require more insulin which equals more fat.

Have to disagree that the nutritional values are not much different, there is quite a substantial difference in my opinion, especially if your seeking to achieve a goal.

If you want to lose weight/BF%, go with brown rice. I find brown rice/sweet potatoes are just as good as white rice/white potatoes in taste personally. I try to aim for the lower GI end for my carbs.

*Edit - Poster made a good point about good v bad foods. By that, i mean, based on my personal goals, i know what foods are 'good' for my goals and what foods are 'bad' for my goals, rather than labelling white rice 'bad' food.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Is brown rice more nutritious? Yes. For me it all adds up: the brown rice, the whole grain breads, slow cook oats.... does one bowl of rice make a difference? Nah. But if we're talking about a lifestyle, then I'm going to aim for the healthier choices when possible, and know that sometimes (most sushi bars) that won't be possible.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "better" is relative. brown rice has more fiber...but if you're getting enough fiber otherwise then it really doesn't matter. I would also add that context and dosage are very important when you're talking about nutrition and thing being "good" or "bad".
  • Jason7Scott
    Options
    "better" is relative. brown rice has more fiber...but if you're getting enough fiber otherwise then it really doesn't matter. I would also add that context and dosage are very important when you're talking about nutrition and thing being "good" or "bad".

Fair point. Made an edit.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I spent some time looking up the good vs bad foods. Naturally, white rice/pasta is high GI, brown rice/pasta is low GI. This means brown rice will digest slower, keeping you fuller for longer. White rice will give you a nice energy spike, but process quickly, require more insulin which equals more fat.

Have to disagree that the nutritional values are not much different, there is quite a substantial difference in my opinion, especially if your seeking to achieve a goal.

If you want to lose weight/BF%, go with brown rice. I find brown rice/sweet potatoes are just as good as white rice/white potatoes in taste personally. I try to aim for the lower GI end for my carbs.

*Edit - Poster made a good point about good v bad foods. By that, i mean, based on my personal goals, i know what foods are 'good' for my goals and what foods are 'bad' for my goals, rather than labelling white rice 'bad' food.
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ca/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html
  • Jason7Scott
    Options
    Not what i am saying. What i did say was based on goals. I love white rice and white pasta, highly prefer those than brown rice/pasta, however, if i want to achieve what i have set myself, i have to sacrifice those foods. I currently do this and see the results. If you can incorporate white rice/pasta in your diet and still achieve your goals, then fantastic.

But to state to the OP that 'pick whatever you prefer' i feel is misleading. Had i read that kind of advice when i started, i don't believe i would have achieved what i have achieve already.

I made an edit to my post to indicate the good v bad foods was not labelling foods, but i personally know which foods i want in my diet based on goals. I am not stating that if you eat white rice / pasta, you will not achieve goals.
  • Jason7Scott
    Options

http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Foods-Low-on-the-Glycemic-Index

There are a number of sources that will argue these cases, for and against. I think we can all agree the amount of information online is daunting and can cause more confusion than anything else... This infact is how i found MFP.

The benefits of MFP community is that we can share past experiences. If we are to quote every website we come across as being the facts, then the community is redundant. My post is based on my experience.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just dropped rice all together when I realized how much sodium I was pouring on it in the form of soy / teriyaki sauce. Evidently I only enjoy the stuff as a delivery system for thousands of milligrams of salty goodness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    White rice will give you a nice energy spike, but process quickly, require more insulin which equals more fat.
    Might need to brush on some endocrinology studying to substantiate how that holds true while one is in calorie deficit.
    Opinion doesn't trump what actual science states though.
    Losing body fat is directly related to calorie deficit. If one brown rice at maintenance and another ate white rice at deficit, guess which one will lose more body fat?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I eat several different kinds of rice, depending on availability/recipe/mood. Since I eat a pretty wide variety of other foods and I make sure to get plenty of protein and fiber everyday, rice in general fits in with my goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options

http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Foods-Low-on-the-Glycemic-Index

There are a number of sources that will argue these cases, for and against. I think we can all agree the amount of information online is daunting and can cause more confusion than anything else... This infact is how i found MFP.

The benefits of MFP community is that we can share past experiences. If we are to quote every website we come across as being the facts, then the community is redundant. My post is based on my experience.
    There are articles and then there's actual peer reviewed clinical studies. Lots of articles rely on anecdotes, which aren't evidence that always hold true when compared to actual scientific study.
    While it's great to opine on actual experience, it's still much more important for those out in the public to get accurate and evident information backed by actual science, then weigh the options themselves to decide what they want to do.

For example, there really is no reason to have dairy in the diet. Everything in it can be obtained from other sources equally. Knowing that from a scientific basis, I CHOOSE to still have dairy cause I won't ever give up eating cheese, yogurt or ice cream.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    We eat brown rice in my house 90% of the time, I am so used to it that I don't really think about it. I even use it in recipes that call for white rice, like making sushi rice...works fine. Sometimes in restaurants I choose jasmine rice.

They also make "instant" brown rice and it's not bad. But why not just cook the regular rice ahead of time and reheat as you need it?