My boyfriend thinks I'm a'freak'! Are you a 'freak'???

Options

Replies

• shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Too funny! I did intentionally title my topic...just to lure you all in...perhaps you are the freaks! Lol...

My boyfriend is laughing as I write this...Perhaps he won't be later on tonight...I feel a headache coming on-must be all those germs...
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    No time for all that lol. Although I never buy drink/food that is designed to be consumed direct from container to mouth. Makes me shudder after working in a supermarket and seeing a rat run across a stack of coke cans eugh!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've worked in a classroom for eleven years, hence am impervious to germs; however, the first couple of years I got exponentially sicker than I'd been all the years leading up to it. I'm not afraid of shopping carts, utensils at restaurants, or if something falls on the floor for a couple seconds. If you really knew what went on in restaurants, grocery stores, and the service industry in general you would never leave your house, lol
    ^

Before the thread :
    That would drive me crazy, lol. I've heard of washing food, but never to that extreme.
    How I feel after the thread: afraid to touch anything now!:sick: :noway:

I have washed cans before I opened them but felt a bit OCD doing it... didn't realize others did it too. I was headed to bed but now feel I should re-clean my house.:blushing: :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Too funny! I did intentionally title my topic...just to lure you all in...perhaps you are the freaks! Lol...

My boyfriend is laughing as I write this...Perhaps he won't be later on tonight...I feel a headache coming on-must be all those germs...

Lol!! :laugh: :wink:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    No, I don't do this.
  • 949BeachMom
    Options
    I always clean the shopping carts cause I have a one year old who sits in it. But I dont clean things I bring into the home even though I should since we live in a border state and are having an immigration invasion n you never know whats brought here from 3 world countries
  • marquishagetaka
    Options
    Wow, my husband is clinically OCD and won't touch the handrails of anything and even he's not this bad. :tongue: OP, you're ok, but I think your BF may have a point.

same, washing containers LOL... I won't go that far
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    I'm a freak but not that kind of a freak lol

I also thought this was gonna be about something else :wink:
  • 949BeachMom
    Options
    In not too clean in the house as I am with things coming in .
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Last weekend I ate pizza that had been dropped in the middle of a parking lot. And I've shared a spoon with my dog. So no; not really a germaphobe.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you're definitely struggling on the edge of mental illness there. There are germs and dirt everywhere, and for a normal healthy person they are not a problem. As a matter of fact, avoiding germs entirely actually leads to your immune system being weaker as it doesn't have experience with these bugs before you are actually ill. It means when you do get sick, its likely to be far harder on you than on a normal, healthy person.

Anti-bacterial cleaning supplies also lead to bacteria evolving to survive. You kill the 99.5 percent described on the bottle, but those 0.5% that survive are the ones that will keep getting stronger in the next generation of bacteria and will eventually kill us all. Stop cleaning everything, you're going to kill my kids lol.

^This.
  • breadfan56
    Options
    Do some googling about how the keyboard you typed that message on compares ;)

Anyone throwing around words like mental illness are not to be listened to. Supermarket purchases are one very small part of a lifestyle. If you think your habitual cleaning is impacting on your ability to lead a normal life, then have a chat to your doctor and go from there. If you just scrub up new purchases one time before they go in the cupboard and then happily use them, that's a quirk.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I buy and wear underwear without washing them in the hope that someone's tried them on and returned them.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Do some googling about how the keyboard you typed that message on compares ;)

Anyone throwing around words like mental illness are not to be listened to. Supermarket purchases are one very small part of a lifestyle. If you think your habitual cleaning is impacting on your ability to lead a normal life, then have a chat to your doctor and go from there. If you just scrub up new purchases one time before they go in the cupboard and then happily use them, that's a quirk.

OCD is definitely a form of mental illness.

Whether OP has it or not I guess depends on the extent to which this washing is impacting on her life.

OP no, I do not wash everything coming in to my house - actually I cant think of anything coming into my house that I do wash.
    and I don't use antibacterial wipes at all - and I only use hand sanitizer at work (I work in a Dr's surgery so is sometimes necessary there)
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't go to that extent, but my husband does find it charmingly weird that I pick out an item on the store shelves that's a few back so fewer people have touched it.
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Washing everything after purchasing is a very good idea actually, but I don't do it because I'm too lazy to bother with all of that.
  • cware31
    cware31 Posts: 5
    Options
    I wash my hands about 100 times a day and I use the little sanitizer wipes at the grocery store on the cart. I once read an article saying that escalator hand rails were bacteria tested and they found feces, blood and ... semen (not sure how that happens - well I am if I use my freaky imagination lol)! So yeah, I don't touch hand rails either.

A note about the washing tho, if you're just using soap and washing the germs off -- then no super germ will be mutated into the man eating plague. It's the sanitizer that people abundantly use that could possibly cause a long term problem.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriend should be lucky he has a clean environment to be in. He doesnt have to even implement a 5 second rule!

I implement the five second rule in my house whether the floors are clean or not.

ETA: unless there's cat hair on it, not because I think it'll kill me, but the texture is nasty.
    There is no five second rule with any pets that shed fur. :laugh:
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I don't do that but wouldn't think someone's a freak for doing it either.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    that is strange, but as long as you dont force anyone else to do it, Id be cool with it. I sanitize all my eating/cooking surfaces every night, and regularly run vinegar through my coffee pot, so I've been called strange too.

I have worked in restaurants for a long time, and I like "closing the kitchen" at night. Even though its just my own personal kitchen.

When my daughter was on a bottle I pre made her formula the night before, with water that I boiled, and then let cool slightly. I also boiled her bottles and pacifiers every night until she was solid food age.

I also wash cups/plates/new clothes before they are used.