may 15 MFP runner's club

Options
Mireille
Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
Good morning to everyone,

I'm so excited that so many people have joined!!

Congratulations to everyone who got out to run yesterday (on hit the treadmill).

I couldn't get up at the crack of *kitten* (lmao) this morning. Hubby away for work. So, I'm going to head out for a run with the kids around 9am.

I'll report back cuz it's been over a week since I've run with them and I'm hoping I'm not going to kill myself.

Have a good run all!
Mireille

Replies

• Mireille
    Options
    Good morning to everyone,

I'm so excited that so many people have joined!!

Congratulations to everyone who got out to run yesterday (on hit the treadmill).

I couldn't get up at the crack of *kitten* (lmao) this morning. Hubby away for work. So, I'm going to head out for a run with the kids around 9am.

I'll report back cuz it's been over a week since I've run with them and I'm hoping I'm not going to kill myself.

Have a good run all!
    Mireille
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It's 6:45 am and I just finished 4.2 miles on the treadmill. It's getting warmer here and I was sweating like crazy even in my cool basement. Might have to start wearing a headband to keep it out of my eyes... LOL

Mireille, take it easy with the kiddies on your run. That's not easy to do so good on you for not letting it be an excuse (not that such a dedicated runner like you would do that). I'll be checking to see how it went!

Don't miss a chance to hit the pavement (or treadmill) today everyone!
    Julie
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    Raining buckets here today and not very warm. I'm waiting to see if it lets up a little and/or warms up. I'll run in the rain, but not when it's cold:tongue: , by cold I mean below 60-65:laugh: Yes, I AM A WUSS!!!:laugh: Otherwise I'll have to go to the stinky gym:grumble:
    Tomorrow's FRIDAY!!!!! Yay!!!!!:drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Ya'll are so good! :smooched:

My next run will be Saturday morning. Was going to wake up early (tee-hee) & do "The Biggest Loser" workout, but gravity was strong around the bed this morning. :ohwell:

Last night was the first time that I've run where my outer hip got sore. That ever happen to you?

Happy Friday-eve!!! :drinker:
  • mkeithley
    Options

Last night was the first time that I've run where my outer hip got sore. That ever happen to you?

That doesn't sound good:frown: Maybe you needed to strech those muscles a little bit longer after.
  • Shannon023
    Options

That doesn't sound good:frown: Maybe you needed to strech those muscles a little bit longer after.

"Stretch"????? What strange words you use........:huh:

I know, I'm REALLY bad about not stretching. :embarassed:
  • mkeithley
    Options

"Stretch"????? What strange words you use........:huh:

I know, I'm REALLY bad about not stretching. :embarassed:

Silly Rabbit!!!! No wonder you are sore:tongue:
    Stretching good young jedi:laugh:
    I take a good amount of time to stretch after I run, if i don't I can barely walk the next day:blushing: Nobody told me that I was going to get old, that was just supposed to happen to other people, not me:cry:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!!

Feeling great this am - my butt and thighs are TIGHT! :laugh: :laugh: and the chaffing from yesterday has gone away!! Damn those little shorts! :grumble:

I had a weak moment this am and ate a brownie - i had to make them for Teacher's lunch and they were so warm and ooey gooey! But I am not pressed about it at all, I have been working hard! :drinker:

Tonight is body pump class and then I think I will cross train on the elliptical as I have already done spinning this week (and it killed my knees!)

How is everyone doing today!?!?
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think it was last month's issue of Runner's World (the one with several articles for new runners) it recommends 3 stretches in particular and says you should do them each 3 times on each leg for 30 seconds each! Being an amateur, I thought that was a lot of stretching and I've been trying but still haven't done that much. :ohwell:

That's a good 10 minutes of stretching. :smile:

Let's all stretch more! :happy:
  • Shannon023
    Options

Nobody told me that I was going to get old, that was just supposed to happen to other people, not me:cry:

Well ya know, the older the violin the sweeter the music. :wink:

(yeah...I think it's bullspit too, but I'm trying to be encouraging) :bigsmile:
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/tips_archives/injuries.html

Read the bottom of this article for info on streching. and i am preaching to the choir - i never stretch! :sad:
  • Mireille
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Well, I made it. It wasn't easy because the wind was so damn strong. Between the 20km/hrs winds, pushing 90lbs worth of kids/stroller and my TOM, I thought I was going to crack. My legs feel really tight and strong right now (hope that feeling last).

I ran 5 miles in 57 minutes. Not to shabby considering everything was working against me. :tongue:

As for stretching, I'm not the best at it too. I'll normally stretch my calves and hamstrings but that's pretty much it unless I'm feeling really sore. I didn't stretch today cuz my neighbors convinced me to go our for a walk right after my run, so I guess I stretched a little by walking??

Anyhow, I'm sorry for those who have rain and cold weather today. That really sucks!!
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Hey ladies!

I ran 5 miles in 57 minutes. Not to shabby considering everything was working against me. :tongue:

Congrats!! That is amazing Mireille!! That was a ton of excuses waiting to happen and you did it!! Way to stick with your commitment!! Bask in your accomplishment today :drinker: :drinker:

T:heart:
  • Mireille
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Congrats!! That is amazing Mireille!! That was a ton of excuses waiting to happen and you did it!! Way to stick with your commitment!! Bask in your accomplishment today :drinker: :drinker:

Thank you for your encouragement!
    I'll admit, about 1/2 way through I wanted to stop, especially when those hills hit. I just didn't want to come back and post that I stopped. This club is the best for motivation!!
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Ditto that!!! :drinker:

Running in the wind is the worst!!! :grumble:

Okay ladies, looks like we're all gonna have to make a better commitment to stretching. No reason to injure our fine selves. :wink:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

I need your opinion. I told you guys yesterday that I got shin splints while I was jogging on the treadmill. I can still feel a little pain in my shins. Should I wait until that goes away to start jogging again or am I doomed? I don't want to stop jogging, I was just now starting to build my endurance. :(:grumble:
  • mkeithley
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

I need your opinion. I told you guys yesterday that I got shin splints while I was jogging on the treadmill. I can still feel a little pain in my shins. Should I wait until that goes away to start jogging again or am I doomed? I don't want to stop jogging, I was just now starting to build my endurance. :(:grumble:
    I would wait until you aren't sore anymore, maybe do the elliptical instead. You should be fine in another day or so. I get shin splints when I need new shoes, I replace mine about every 3 months b/c I run 6-7 days a week. Even if the shoes you are wearing don't look old, if you've been wearing them for some time, exercising or just around town , the support could be broken down.Here are some tips from running guru Jeff Galloway about shoes:

Selection and care of Running Shoes

#1. Be prepared to spend at least 30 minutes in selecting your running shoes.

#2. Do not take a friend's advice, as what works for them may not be right for you.

#3. Bring your current pair of running shoes and a pair of your running socks.

#4. Make sure you get a salesperson who asks you about your running, including such things as goals, mileage, terrain, past or current injuries, and chronic problem areas. Try to get a salesperson that is a runner him or herself.

#5. Your salesperson should watch you run in a neutral pair of shoes to determine your specific foot function and biomechanics, and make recommendations based on their observations.

#6. Then the salesperson should watch you in the recommended shoes to verify the correctness of each model for you.

#7. Running shoes are designed with specific features that are intended to work for certain foot functions (floppy, rigid, etc). Remember that foot function is not the same as foot type. For instance, just having a flat foot (fallen arches) does not indicate that you have a "floppy" foot that rolls inward excessively and, therefore, needs a motion control shoe (this is a common misunderstanding that we often encounter).

#8. The fit should be comfortable - meaning snug but not tight. There should be a little play or room in the forefoot. When standing, allow about a thumb's width between your toes and the end of the shoe. There is no consistency to running shoe sizing. In general, you'll tend to need a larger size than your dress shoe size. It is okay for women to wear men's shoes and men women's if it helps you get a better fit (as a general rule, there is a size and a half difference, so, for example, an 11 women's would be a men's 9).

#9. In sum, the two equally important variables in shoe selection are that the shoe fits your foot well AND is appropriate for your foot function.

#10. As a general rule try on at least a couple of different models for comparison.

#11. Don't write off a shoe company because one of their models didn't work for you.

#12. Tune out the advertising hype. Shoe enhancers (air, gel, etc) should be viewed as icing on the cake. They can't make a poorly designed or manufactured shoe good all on their own, and, if the shoe is well designed and manufactured it would be good even without an enhancer.

#13. Never let cosmetics be a significant factor in your decision.

#14. The cushioning in a running shoe lasts, on average, 400 to 600 miles. However, the shoes will have a progressive breakdown over time whether being used or not. Your body and feet will let you know when the shoe is no longer providing the cushion and support needed.

#15. If you absolutely, positively feel compelled to wash your running shoes, DO NOT immerse them in water. Use a damp cloth or an old toothbrush and let them air-dry naturally.

#16. KEEP RUNNING SHOES AWAY FROM HEAT SOURCES. Do not put them in dryers, on radiators or heating vents, nuke them in the microwave or bake them at 350. Do not leave them in your car or out in the direct sunlight in hot weather. Heat will dry out your cushioning materials prematurely and can cause the shoe to separate by hardening the glues that hold it together.

#17. Do not let the outer sole wear through to the midsole material. If you notice the outer sole wearing down, use a urethane type product like Freesole, Shoe Goo, or Eternal Sole to extend the life of the outer sole until you've reached the 400-600 mile range of effective midsole cushioning (see #14).

#18. Remember, the most expensive shoe purchase you can make is the one where you buy a pair that does not fit properly and/or is not right for your foot function.
  • Mireille
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

I agree with mkeithly. Wait a day or two and start up again. I read somewhere that if the pain in minimal you can continue to run but at a much lower intensity.
    I agree about the shoes. They are so important. My left shoe is starting to give my blisters which is probably an indication that I need new ones. I'm gonna go check out the running room this weekend.

We will be here to motivate you when your shin splints are better!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    ooo I want to join this challange!!! I'm getting up early to get out tom and this week was so so for my running...I need a motivation aka place to brag LOL...(ya real bragging as I dazzle you w/ my 30 min runs LOL)

but seriously I'm excited and if its okay I'm sooo in...beginning tom am! bright and early!!:yawn:

hugs and thanks for doing this!
    Ali
  • Mireille
    Options
    ooo I want to join this challange!!! I'm getting up early to get out tom and this week was so so for my running...I need a motivation aka place to brag LOL...(ya real bragging as I dazzle you w/ my 30 min runs LOL)

but seriously I'm excited and if its okay I'm sooo in...beginning tom am! bright and early!!:yawn:

hugs and thanks for doing this!
    Ali

This is the best place to share (brag) about your accomplishments. It's very motivating. People here are amazing!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Welcome!