Does anyone else dislike exercise?

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you like exercise you are either crazy or delusional.

You don't LIKE exercise, you like the way you feel afterward, or you like how you look after spending several weeks on a program.

No one LIKES exercise itself.

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

Skip breakfast and make your mornings useful without stuffing your stomach.

I must be crazy or delusional then.... why would I spend years of my life training for ice hockey 3-4 times a week and games at the weekends if I didn't enjoy it? As in enjoy all of it, not just the feeling you get afterwards. I don't play any more - and I miss it.

I also enjoy lifting heavy weights. It doesn't quite make up for the lack of ice hockey in my life but it'll do.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Nobody loves exercise.

Umm, it's my favorite time of day. I am absolutely pumped beforehand. I go to bed anxious for the next day's workout.

I know most other guys into bodybuilding feel the exact same. Surprising comment coming from a bikini competitor really.

I apologize for not fitting into your pre-conceived notion of how bikini competitors should feel and act. What can I say, I make waves everywhere.

Ah. I read his post before the edit. This actually does make sense as you almost have to exercise for work?? Exercise is one of the things I do to take my mind off the jerks I have to deal with at work. If I needed to exercise for work, I could see getting somewhat resentful of the activity

Interesting response to his bikini competitor comment; I'd think you'd welcome that sort of talk judging by your own post about everybody's attitude towards exercise!

Where did I say the comment was not welcome? All I did was apologize. You're reading an awful lot into several comments that were never directed at you in the first place. So you don't agree with what I said in my first post. Great. Don't care. Kindly get off my back, peaches. :flowerforyou:

Screw you, too :flowerforyou:

The comment/apology seemed sarcastic. My bad if it wasn't. If you want me or anyone else "off your back", don't post in a public forum. :wink:

Misreads context in a post. Tells poster to "screw themselves", and insists they stay away if they don't want to be misinterpreted and given attitude about being misinterpreted... Seems legit. :laugh:

How about... I'll stay off the forums when you learn some reading comprehension and learn to not assume the worst in everybody? Gawd it must be miserable, being you. Try having some grace, it might add some years to your life. Here, have some cake, or something.

th?&id=HN.608031339139828607&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Thanks! Enjoy your exercise :wink:
  • ezzirah
    ezzirah Posts: 4
    Options
    Maybe the issue is you think you have to do just one thing. Nobody says you cannot combine, roller skating, ice skating with gardening with hoola hoops with hopscotch in the backyard with walking. Crap, there is a crap ton of things that qualify as a workout without it feeling like actually "working out". Google a list and just go at it. I plan on doing just that. I hate to have anything that is a "structured" workout. So I find activities that are a sneaky way to get activity in. And then sometimes that leads you wanting to be better at it so you do more to help condition your body so you can do it better. I am having to start a weight lifting program so I can haul things around better in the garden. I want to run and do yoga so I can be more flexible with ariel trapese.

Going Kayaking next week...get the point?

edit for stupid fingers
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Things I would hate to do: group classes, DVDs, any cardio done inside.

Things I love: lifting, hiking, running, walking, bicycling, canoeing, swimming, jumping in bouncy houses, and throwing kiddos in the pool.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

You don't LIKE exercise, you like the way you feel afterward, or you like how you look after spending several weeks on a program.

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

Well, if skipping breakfast made me that crabby, I would definitely eat a hearty breakfast every day! :smile:

I absolutely enjoy endurance cycling, which is my preferred sport. I wouldn't spend 6-12 hours on a bike if it weren't enjoyable—not in the sense of kicking back and relaxing with a glass of wine, but in the sense of successfully handling a challenge while passing through beautiful scenery. Back when I was a distance runner, I enjoyed my runs too, especially after the first couple miles.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It was zumba for me. A class, not a dvd. A bunch of ladies together in one room, playing music REALLY loudly and aggressively booty shaking. It doesn't feel like working out for me - it's just a fun time. We laugh and I like some routines better than others, but I LOVE to dance, and the burn just cannot be matched. I don't know anything else that can whip 800 calories off me in 70 minutes.

I have a hard time just working out, but I do it. I go running because I have to, I lift because I have to, but I don't enjoy it. I enjoy zumba. For me, I have to trick myself into feeling like I'm just doing something fun. That helps.
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    bangbangchoochootrain Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I hate being forced to exercise, such as PE in school, and doing exercises I don't like. I do what I do like - a lot of walking every day. If I could afford a bathing suit and admission to the swimming pool, I'd be swimming.

Do what you like and don't do what you hate.

I think this is so important! If you sat me on a treadmill for five minutes I would get bored crazy quickly, and mentally I tire out faster. Sure I *can* keep running but I don't want to! Versus putting me on a volleyball court, or playing a squash game, where I'd go for an hour or more and not feel tired. Well maybe not an hour of straight squash - it's hard! Also riding a bike to GO somewhere? I'm fine. Riding a bike for the sake of riding? Meh.

So yes our bodies are made to move, but our minds are a factor as well. Find something you like! There's tons of movement centric activities.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Things I love: lifting, hiking, running, walking, bicycling, canoeing, swimming, jumping in bouncy houses, and throwing kiddos in the pool.

My very first purchase if we ever own our own home will be a bounce obstacle course/water slide for the backyard. It has been my dream since childhood, and it will happen! :laugh:

ETA: and I don't and likely won't have children, it will be ALL MINE!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Someone forgot to tell Frank that "no no one LIKES exercise"

e4UWQ4A.gif
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Trust me if you hate exercise it's because YOU are unfit. That or you have a medical condition. Exercise makes me feel strong healthy and alive.

This may be true for some, but not all. I can do regulation push-ups. I can do lunges & squats, and planks. I can run a 7.5 minute mile pace for an hour. I cycled 90 miles last Sunday. I am NOT in terrible shape. And I still frikkin hate working out. I eat well, sleep well, hit my nutritional macros, and exercise still makes me tired, never energized. Never.
  • abbyblackcft
    Options
    I keep seeing people who love working out, doing dvd programs etc... 1.5 year later I still don't. I force myself to do it, typically really doing half of it because I can't keep up. I've tried lots of different things. . None of that 'exercise high'. At this point I realize I just don't want it hard enough.

Is it just me?

Yes, you should do an exercise you enjoy. Whether it is walking, running, swimming, hiking golfing, dancing, etc. There is something for everyone.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    Same. I am extremely lazy so i mostly just take walks. Lost 10 lbs since April doing that so =P it seems to work for me.
    tumblr_inline_mmhymtjZ8R1qz4rgp.gif
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

My very first purchase if we ever own our own home will be a bounce obstacle course/water slide for the backyard. It has been my dream since childhood, and it will happen! :laugh:

Shhhhh!!! The kiddos are my cover :wink:
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hated it until I found something I liked to do (ride a bicycle) - now I can't wait each day until cycling time.
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Shhhhh!!! The kiddos are my cover :wink:

:love: :laugh:
  • abbyblackcft
    Options
    Nobody loves exercise. We do it for the benefits. It's part of being an adult, doing things we'd rather not.

That said, I am never sorry after a work out. But I am almost never pumped to go beforehand. It's always the reward afterward that makes me glad I did it.

LOL, you are doing it wrong then...Next time don't make such a generalization and only speak for yourself.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Add me to the delusional crowd cause I absolutely Love to Workout!!! Even though I am smart enough to take rest days doesn't mean I like them... lol Would rather hit the gym........ :drinker:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I love it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

I am neither crazy nor delusional and I love exercising. When I can't exercise for a period of time (twice now, once due to serious injury, once due to pregnancy issues) I was very upset. I missed it like crazy. I look forward to getting back to it. I love how I feel afterwards but I also enjoy it at the time.

Just because some people don't like exercise does not mean that no one can. Sweeping generalizations are rarely accurate. And please don't tell me how I feel.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I love lifting. People can claim that I just like the results from lifting, but I actually like the joint/muscle mechanics of it. There are times now and then where I don't feel like working out and I go for the results. Overall I really just enjoy the feel of my body doing work. The key to happiness with exercise is finding something you enjoy. Mini trampoline, pole dancing, prancercise, lifting, running, crossfit, swimming, shaking your booty in your living room.