-Playing frisbee
    -Playing a sport, like baseball
    -Gardening
    -Hopscotch
    -Visit the zoo
    -Zip lining
    -Martial Arts
    -Roller Skating

I'm allergic to horses... Don't know how to ride a bike, and I'm afraid of heights (which makes riding a bike difficult too, because yeah, it's THAT bad). I should try martial arts one day though. I've tried most of the other stuff...
    going to the gym and getting in the pool is the highlight of my day. i feel really sorry for anyone who hates themself enough to just plod through a workout they hate every day without exploring other options that might actually be satisfying and enjoyable.

I'm 36, I've tried a lot of things, believe me... still haven't found anything enjoyable except walking. I'm not sure how it means I'm hating myself for forcing myself to exercise though... on the contrary, it's because I don't want to hate myself that I do.

Then just give up.

Dead serious. No one has to exercise, and if you hate it so much and you're going to shoot down dozens of suggestions, maybe it's just not for you.

If you're going to do it because you understand the benefits, then just woman up and do it without whining about how much you hate it. I don't let my kids whine so I don't understand it coming from adults.

Just go work out.

Or

Don't work out. Either way.

Dude, no need to be rude. Because whining about people complaining about something is really helpful too. Besides, I was just wondering if I was alone in this, because as I said in my first post... I've tried a lot of stuff.

And yes, I walk. Even if I have to go to the gym and drop the kids at the babysitting area to do it. Not very exciting but at least it's something I can stick to.

I do appreciate the constructive replies though - I just wish I DID enjoy most of the stuff everyone is talking about - and yes, walking at an incline is a really nice burn too. I haven't tried heavy lifting with barbels, but I hate it at home with dumbbells so I'm not sure it would be really different (plus I don't think my gym has a safe setup for that).

Rude it just truthful?

Did his answer hit a little too close to home?

Also he's not whining. Not one bit.

Eh it really didn't hit close to home at all. After hearing for months and months about how people end up loving exercise, and I still don't, I was wondering if it was just me, that's all. If you call that whining, well... you haven't met my kids LOL.

photo.jpg

Maybe you should take a look at the book. It's about all the excuses people use.

Well, she has lost 80 pounds, so that's not her problem.

It's about excuses (as I put above). It might do her some good to read. Just saying.

Why? You use excuses not to do something. I still do it even though I don't like it. I don't think that book would be very helpful to me.

Excuses can also be used to keep telling yourself you can't do this, you won't do this because etc. This whole thread has been one shoot down after another.

But she's still doing something. Even though she hates it, she still gets up and does whatever she does. She's just not able to find something that she likes that she can work into her life right now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    -Dance
    -Gymnastics
    -Swimming
    -Hiking
    -Horseback Riding
    -Golfing
    -Riding a bike
    -Canoeing or kayaking
    -Playing frisbee
    -Playing a sport, like baseball
    -Gardening
    -Hopscotch
    -Visit the zoo
    -Zip lining
    -Martial Arts
    -Roller Skating

I'm allergic to horses... Don't know how to ride a bike, and I'm afraid of heights (which makes riding a bike difficult too, because yeah, it's THAT bad). I should try martial arts one day though. I've tried most of the other stuff...
    going to the gym and getting in the pool is the highlight of my day. i feel really sorry for anyone who hates themself enough to just plod through a workout they hate every day without exploring other options that might actually be satisfying and enjoyable.

I'm 36, I've tried a lot of things, believe me... still haven't found anything enjoyable except walking. I'm not sure how it means I'm hating myself for forcing myself to exercise though... on the contrary, it's because I don't want to hate myself that I do.

Then just give up.

Dead serious. No one has to exercise, and if you hate it so much and you're going to shoot down dozens of suggestions, maybe it's just not for you.

If you're going to do it because you understand the benefits, then just woman up and do it without whining about how much you hate it. I don't let my kids whine so I don't understand it coming from adults.

Just go work out.

Or

Don't work out. Either way.

Dude, no need to be rude. Because whining about people complaining about something is really helpful too. Besides, I was just wondering if I was alone in this, because as I said in my first post... I've tried a lot of stuff.

And yes, I walk. Even if I have to go to the gym and drop the kids at the babysitting area to do it. Not very exciting but at least it's something I can stick to.

I do appreciate the constructive replies though - I just wish I DID enjoy most of the stuff everyone is talking about - and yes, walking at an incline is a really nice burn too. I haven't tried heavy lifting with barbels, but I hate it at home with dumbbells so I'm not sure it would be really different (plus I don't think my gym has a safe setup for that).

Rude it just truthful?

Did his answer hit a little too close to home?

Also he's not whining. Not one bit.

Eh it really didn't hit close to home at all. After hearing for months and months about how people end up loving exercise, and I still don't, I was wondering if it was just me, that's all. If you call that whining, well... you haven't met my kids LOL.

photo.jpg

Maybe you should take a look at the book. It's about all the excuses people use.

Well, she has lost 80 pounds, so that's not her problem.

It's about excuses (as I put above). It might do her some good to read. Just saying.

Why? You use excuses not to do something. I still do it even though I don't like it. I don't think that book would be very helpful to me.

Excuses can also be used to keep telling yourself you can't do this, you won't do this because etc. This whole thread has been one shoot down after another.

So I guess I'm supposed to lie and pretend it's a great idea (which it often is, except for the fact that I've already tried it), even though I've already tried it and didn't like it either. Gotcha. Better yet... please show me the magic fairy that will suddenly make me enjoy the things I don't enjoy. While you're at it, ask her to make me love veggies as much as I love sweets too :D
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, some people live their lives without exercising and live to be over a hundred.

Amazing, isn't it?

The destiny of human evolution is not for us to do push-ups and sit-ups and run around in pointless circles to burn calories and so be at a healthful weight.

Fran Liebowitz (sp?) made a pithy comment.

She said she doesn't exercise because the amount of extra life span she would gain would just about equal her time spent jogging.

Learn to eat less. Read Dr. Hagan's :Breakfast:The Least Important Meal of the Day."

Don't be taken in by food faddists, pseudo diet experts, breakfast food companies, or the weight loss and fitness multi-billion dollar industry.

Wtf is this?

You have some agenda you're always trolling?

I enjoy exercise. What's wrong with that? Or are you telling me I'm mistaken?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, some people live their lives without exercising and live to be over a hundred.

Amazing, isn't it?

The destiny of human evolution is not for us to do push-ups and sit-ups and run around in pointless circles to burn calories and so be at a healthful weight.

She said she doesn't exercise because the amount of extra life span she would gain would just about equal her time spent jogging.

Learn to eat less. Read Dr. Hagan's :Breakfast:The Least Important Meal of the Day."

Don't be taken in by food faddists, pseudo diet experts, breakfast food companies, or the weight loss and fitness multi-billion dollar industry.

Wtf is this?

I enjoy exercise. What's wrong with that? Or are you telling me I mistaken?

I've been purposely ignoring his posts, lol.

Anyway... thanks for all the support here. It is really nice to see that I'm not alone.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Amazing, isn't it?

:yawn:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Amazing, isn't it?

It's not just the extra life span. It's the quality of life within that span.

I was getting constant bronchial infections before I started to run. Now I need much less asthma medication and I was able to fight off a sinus infection without it turning into pneumonia for the first time since my kid started group daycare.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Amazing, isn't it?

Wtf is this?

I enjoy exercise. What's wrong with that? Or are you telling me I'm mistaken?

Do you REALLY enjoy exercising, or the adrenalin high afterward? Or the social aspect of it? I the fun of watching your muscles bulge? Or to watch yourself lose weight?

I bet THAT'S what you enjoy.

Be honest.

If you REALLY enjoy the pain and discomfort and drudgery of exercise, then, as I stated, you are either delusional or crazy.

But that's only the first 10 minutes/mile and then the rest of the run is freaking awesome. Maybe if you stopped jogging and started running?
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i love exercise, the feeling i get after a 30 minute workout is so refreshing it gives me a buzz
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Do you REALLY enjoy exercising, or the adrenalin high afterward? Or the social aspect of it? I the fun of watching your muscles bulge? Or to watch yourself lose weight?

Be honest.

If you REALLY enjoy the pain and discomfort and drudgery of exercise, then, as I stated, you are either delusional or crazy.

I actually enjoy the DOMS. So I must be crae crae! :love:
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    LOVE it. What i do dislike is having to wake up so early in the morning to workout. I also love my sleep. But once I am up and going, thoroughly enjoy it. Not a huge fan of cardio though.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread but isn't one of the major points of doing exercise the end result? i.e. a fit trim body, feeling strong and energetic etc etc? Many people don't enjoy studying or practicing but it is the end result that matters : the degree, the skill or proficiency

Anything worthwhile in life takes effort and hard work, which may or may not be enjoyable. If you want the result you have to do the work otherwise like others have said just forget about it. Period.

(I apologise for the excessive use of etc)
  • leeanndennis1365
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I HATE it. I know I am going to have to do and do it consistently to see results but I am going to have to force myself to do it.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I also go hardcore for a month or 3 at a time then I get bored or I want to go and do other stuff, same goes with portion control for me, I'm good for about 6 to 8 months and then I just want food. I don't know why.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Okay I actually love to exercise, and I hate Hate HATE moderating what I eat and logging and tracking. I want to eat ALL THE THINGS. I hate not eating them. I wish I was eating them right now, all of them, at once. SO I will make myself keep logging and practicing portion control of all the things, and you exercise. Deal?

I also DO think you can find an exercise you do not hate though, if you Pavlov's Dog it..

HOW DO I PAVLOV'S DOG IT??? you ask.

Well! When I say I love exercising, I mean, I love many things I have to be in shape to do well and enjoy. I love paddle boarding, hiking in the mountains, water skiing, outdoor yoga, body surfing, all that kind of stuff. Not crazy about the gym but I do it so I am in good shape for the stuff I love. So I Pavlov'd Dogs the elliptical, and now I like it.

Here is how it works...Do you have a tv show you like? ONLY be allowed to watch it on the treadmill. I cut off my cable -- NO TV AT ALL at home, and that made all HGTV elliptical only viewing. After a little I came to associate elliptical paddling with NEW KITCHEN REVEALS (!!!!) Now the pleasure center in my brain goes YES PLEASE when I think Should I go to the YMCA? I made my brain have an older more familiar pleasure associated with ellipticals; it got a lot more fun.

If you do not like TV, maybe your bell is phone chatting with friends? Only be allowed to talk to friends when you are walking. Take your phone with you and call everyone you really want to talk to as you walk about. Soon you will associate walking with these chats you only get then, and your brain starts to be happier at the prospect.

I wish you the best!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Be honest.

:yawn:
  • pippafreyer
    pippafreyer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I want to commend you for sticking at it for 1.5 years even though you don't enjoy it. That kind of persistence deserves recognition, as does your weight loss.

I think there are lots of reasons we don't enjoy exercise. We can label them as excuses or anything else, but these are my thoughts.

1) I hate intense exercise videos etc. I am overweight and sometimes in pain, uncoordinated, inflexible and I can't keep up. One thing I do have however, is a great tolerance for boredom and repetition, so if I am going to follow a DVD or whatever, I choose something simple and repetitious that even I can do (Leslie Sansome is probably the best example of this!). No, I still don't particularly enjoy it, but at least I can do it and usually keep up after a few days or weeks of practice. And I'm not ready to embrace the concept of weight bearing exercise just yet. The way I see it, I am already carrying around 85lb of weight attached to my body and I don't think I'm ready to carry around any extra just yet.

2) I struggle with a few health issues including hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia, so I can seldom exercise enough to get that exercise 'high' (although I do get a wicked sense of relief when its over!) Sometimes it's okay to be content with small victories though - I moved today, I walked today, I had enough energy to do the essentials, my back (or shoulders or hips or whatever) didn't hurt as much as yesterday, I stuck it out even though I still don't like it, or whatever.

3) It's really hard not to compare ourselves to others, and I have to really control my envy and frustration that a level of eating and exercise that would cause a normal person to lose a pound a week, causes me to lose half a pound a week or less. Without exercise, I can't even stay level, and it's so not fair. I just remind myself that for everyone that has it easier than me, there's someone who has it worse, who's older, heavier, has a disability, or worse health issues or whatever.

4) So much advice about just pushing through doesn't apply to health conditions. I have to keep a really delicate energy balance and not overdo things because doing too much can severely deplete my energy and end up wiping me out for a couple of days or causing my pain to flare - so slow and steady has to be my way. I am still learning to stomp on the little voice inside when it says things like "I don't know why you bother - this amount (or level) of exercise isn't going to make any significant difference anyway" and "unless you can do at least an hour and a half every day, it's not going to impact your weight". I try to counter with more positive thoughts like 'Some is always better than none' and 'At least I'm moving' and 'Gentle exercise helps the inflammation even if I don't lose weight' and 'I'm improving my metabolic rate' etc.

5) I was bemoaning my weight and appearance the other day, and my chiropractor asked me an interesting question. "What if..what if this is as good as its going to get? Can you learn to live with it and accept yourself as you are?" I think anyone who can look back on a time when we were lighter, thinner, younger, healthier or more active holds that image in our mind of how we used to be, regardless of the time that has passed and the things that have changed since then, and somehow longs to go back there. I am still pondering on the question. I think I am imposing on myself a sort of internal pressure, a sort of 'this is my last chance' mentality. I know that I don't want to be 'a quitter' and yet, am I being realistic? I suppose it comes back to the serenity prayer - the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. I guess it has to start with that courage though - courage to try and change things first, but then, if it's not possible, serenity to accept the way I am.

Anyhow, I've probably rambled on enough for 10 people, but I do want to say that I don't think it matters whether or not you like exercise, the fact is that you've chosen to do it. So good for you! You couldn't be a better example of the 'just do it' mentality. You don't have to like it, you just have to do it. And good for all of us, that keep on doing it too!
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I think the problem is that we think of exercise like work instead of fun. There is a lot of stuff I like to do which for me is not exercise. Like biking, skiing, dancing, windsurfing, swimming hiking, yoga. Just to give a few examples. What I do not like is weight lifting, aerobic classes, riding on a bike which is going nowhere, or running on a treadmill in front of a TV. Everybody feels better when they move their bodies. So it is important to find some kind of recreational physical activity you like, preferably something you can do with other people and try to get good at it.
  • abcgfed
    abcgfed Posts: 26
    Options
    I will expand.

That some group exercise activities are successful (albeit temporarily) and personal trainers make out like bandits proves the point.

It is not fun to exercise. And the older you get, the more outright pain there is.

But bring in a social aspect, and the positives of social interaction outweighs the negatives of doing pointless and repetitive physical activity. Look at the franchised exercise programs.

For that matter, look at the diet programs that are "successful."

There is a big positive social component.

You can realize intellectually the positives of exercise, and then do it and get used to it. It becomes painless and routine after a while, but...I'd rather be in Paris, and so would you.

For that matter, eating food is fun and satisfying.

Learning to skip breakfast isn't "fun" but you learn to get used to it- especially if you realize the long-term benefits.

While some exercises may be more painful as you get older, that's certainly not true of everything. Yoga or swimming are excellent for people over 50. They are easy on the joints. Some people may no longer be able to run comfortably but that doesn't mean all working out is painful.
  • redbreast
    redbreast Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Then just give up.

Just go work out.

Or

Don't work out. Either way."
    [/quote]

I could with someone like you following me around all day!
    I've been a member of countless gyms as well as buying all sorts of exercise equipment, dvds etc and promising myself that each time will be the time it happens! It never does. I become obsessed for maybe a week then it gradually fades away until I end up just slumping on the sofa wondering what the point is. I need to realise I'm not going to see results immediately and just keep going! Just a shame I hate getting hot, sweaty and out of breath, which unfortunately happens almost straight away.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I so agree with you. You have to find something you like. We should not look at exercise at a chore, but at a fun thing to do.