Does anyone else dislike exercise?

Options

Replies

• Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Exercise is like everything else in life. Some people will like it a lot, some people will sort of enjoy it and some people will hate it.

People who make claims about how hating exercise is just because you're unfit are spectacularly ignorant (and apparently unable or unwilling to look outside their own mindset).

Instead of trying to force yourself into the mold that certain noisy people have created for how "fit" or "healthy" people must behave instead look at activity rather than exercise.

I don't enjoy structured exercise but do enjoy walking... so I walk a lot. The activity for you might be gardening, or dancing or something else entirely. Find the activity you enjoy and ignore the narrow minded people who think everyone must enjoy the same things they do.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't like exercising until I get up and do it anyway. The getting started part is the worst part but, I push past that because you can't lose weight and get in shape sitting on your rump. It is a necessary part of improving your health in more ways than one. Once I get off my butt and stop procrastinating, I am always glad I did it and feel I accomplished something good for myself. I may not always be in the mood to do it, but now, I feel so guilty it's unreal if I don't do it. It's just part of my daily routine now.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You know, people come to the forums to look for info or sometimes for confirmation of their diet/exercise strategy.

Here you have a lot of people in the "exercise sucks/no one can enjoy it" camp. It's so easy to get sucked into that and just sit there being inactive.

Don't let the insipid quagmire of these attitudes bring you down - find your thing and excel.
  • catestevam
    catestevam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also dislike excercise, but I find some more tolerable than others. Have you tried yoga? It's challenging, but much more enjoyable (in my opinion) than walking on a treadmill for 45 minutes.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Often you get really demotivated when you feel a lack of progress, or have too high an expectation!

Don't run before you can walk... (both metaphorically and literally), do a bit at a time and work it up. As you get fitter it becomes more fun and you become addicted to the progress!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would have said that 15 years ago, and I still do with one glorious exception: outdoor walking. In 2002, then on my city's Zoning Commission, I thought it would be at least useful to walk and see every street in our 9 square miles. I colored in each walk on an old zoning map, soon found I could easily do 5 miles, often 10 or more. After that, I did another city. And another 20 cities including the Minneapolis (58 sq miles). I'm now about 60% done with St. Paul (56 sq miles). It's amazing what you can done even in winter months. So explore options - swimming, sports, martial arts, yoga, you might find your own exercise you like.

I love this idea - I'm going to do this next winter when we have our Winter Warrior challenge.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I HATE exercise every morning before pressing play, I HATE it through the warm up, and then I LOVE it when I'm done. I have to just do it, and then I know I will feel great afterwards. It's like waxing my legs - I dread it, contemplate just skipping it (who wants smooth legs anyways?), but then I suck it up and do it anyways, and after some pain and cursing, it's always worth it; my legs are smooth and I feel fantastic and confident.

Exercise is the same, you have to endure the unpleasant parts to enjoy the benefits.

That's the thing though... still don't love it when I'm done. I wish I could say I'm enjoying the benefits, but short of sore muscles and weight loss (which is due to a calorie deficit) I can't say I've noticed that much of that either. Ok, I can lift heavier weights now (although progress has been incredibly slow), and I can finally do push ups...

I'm not totally unfit, I mean I can run a 5k, although only in 35 minutes, and I'm not exactly new at this, considering I've been exercising 6 or 7 days a week for 1.5 year now... I've tried Zumba, different classes at the gym, weight lifting (not heavy heavy but heavy enough for me, but I'm not noticing huge progress either, but probably again because it's such a chore for me)... not my thing. As a kid I didn't like anything but volley ball, I did some tennis but I wasn't good in either of those.

I like walking, but unfortunately that ranks pretty low when it comes to activity. And the reason I like it is because it's time for myself when I'm not pestered every two seconds by my kids or something... so, gotta laugh at the 'sociable' aspect of exercise being the best part of it, because it's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I've started to run a bit but I can't say I love it, I just do it to burn calories... although I guess it's nice to see that I can do it. And yeah I'll ride my stationary bike while watching TV, no problem there either, I don't mind.

But the problem again is that, well, I can't just do cardio, lol.
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't love working out either. But I've actually learned to like it a little...very little. I think I mostly just like the results I've gottena dn the way that it makes me feel.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I have never loved exercise. When I was young and slender, I hated to exercise except for splashing in the pool, (never swimming laps, that's work), going fishing (casting and reeling in counts right?) and riding my bike (on flat surfaces only. Since I live in a mountainous region, that limited my bike riding to about 1 mile tops round trip per day that I bothered to take the bike out.)

I always walked the mile run in gym class and finished dead last with the overweight girl - we made it our goal to take as long as possible so we could avoid the sit ups and other parts of the Phys. Fitness testing day. When my then-new-husband and I went to the mountains in Virginia (Shenandoa Nat'l Park), early in our marriage I struggled to hike up a 2-mile mountain hike and complained the entire time.

When had my 3rd child and discovered I was 60-80lbs overweight, actually obese, I whined because I had to "exercise" to lose weight. I did what I could without exercising beyond walking the dog. I did OK but when I got close to goal, I gave up walking the poor dog and also gave up paying attention to my food. Then I deveopled plantar fasciitis and could not walk without severe pain. This scared me. I was afraid I'd end up in a wheelchair all my life.

To go from not wanting to exercise to not being able to walk was a scary thing. I got the plantar fasciitis taken care of. But I also gained back all the weight I had lost and then some. And here I was again. And I got depressed. But I decided to buy a kayak. That seemed like an easy, low impact way to get some exercise in. I did, and I took the kayak out every chance I got. Since all I did was paddle around at a very leisurely pace, I doubt I burned many calories, but I did enjoy my time outside, immensely. I craved getting the kayak out on the water and resented when my job made it impossible (working till dark, etc.)

And for some reason I decided to buy a bike. I don't know what possessed me. I was never particularly fond of bicycling and thought the people who rode their bikes around here were insane. But buy one I did. And I liked it, in spite of feeling like I was going to DIE on these damn hills - they are so small they are humiliating. I was determined to conquer them. I haven't conquered them yet but I will.

Then my brother posted a pic on FB of he and his wife after they climbed Rattlesnake Ridge in WA state. I wanted to do that. I remembered my poor pitiful attempt in VA and wanted to erase that. Last summer I went to WA with my family and my profile pic is of me, an obese woman, who climbed the big little mountain. I'm now a fan of hiking.

This summer I rode an 11 mile loop in the Smokey Mountains on my bike. I am addicted and want to ride my bike everywhere. I've ridden my bike more this summer than I have ever in my life.

All my wordy pontifications to say: find something you like doing, and it will open up a whole world of adventure for you. I am not a fan of the gym. I go there in the winter and for yoga class....otherwise, I want to be outside. That stuff, I like.

And it's time to walk the dog.
  • DenaC3
    DenaC3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I found that I didn't like what I was trying to do...and that made me really dislike the whole exercise thing. Despise it actually. But, I love to dance and found a great workout DVD set that really keeps me moving and sweating, Shaun T's Hip Hop Abs. The music is great, it's fun and I don't feel loathing toward it after I've finished.

When I go to the gym, I found that when I first started out I would get unmotivated really quickly. I mean come on, nobody likes grinding it out on a treadmill for 45 minutes or more. So I used the free trainer visit that my gym offered and she got me on a circuit so I was balancing weights and cardio and I freaking loved it. If I was having to wait for a machine that was next on my rotation, I went and did some jumping jacks or used the aerobic steps to keep my heart rate up until the next person was finished. I found I was spending 2 hours or more working out rather than being bored after 45 minutes and leaving. I never realized how long I'd been in there until my workout playlist started to repeat. I felt better, slept better and found the folks in the weight pit were more than willing to help me out and pushed me a little harder, which was just what I needed.

If you're struggling in the gym, focus solely on you. Everybody else is off in their own little world too, so don't worry about what they're doing and do what you have to do to stick it out. We're all in there with flushed faces and sweat dripping and clothes getting soaking wet from a good workout. Don't let it deter you. That euphoric feeling afterward will come, and when it does look out, because it's like an addiction.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I HATE exercise every morning before pressing play, I HATE it through the warm up, and then I LOVE it when I'm done. I have to just do it, and then I know I will feel great afterwards. It's like waxing my legs - I dread it, contemplate just skipping it (who wants smooth legs anyways?), but then I suck it up and do it anyways, and after some pain and cursing, it's always worth it; my legs are smooth and I feel fantastic and confident.

Exercise is the same, you have to endure the unpleasant parts to enjoy the benefits.

That's the thing though... still don't love it when I'm done. I wish I could say I'm enjoying the benefits, but short of sore muscles and weight loss (which is due to a calorie deficit) I can't say I've noticed that much of that either. Ok, I can lift heavier weights now (although progress has been incredibly slow), and I can finally do push ups...

I'm not totally unfit, I mean I can run a 5k, although only in 35 minutes, and I'm not exactly new at this, considering I've been exercising 6 or 7 days a week for 1.5 year now... I've tried Zumba, different classes at the gym, weight lifting (not heavy heavy but heavy enough for me, but I'm not noticing huge progress either, but probably again because it's such a chore for me)... not my thing. As a kid I didn't like anything but volley ball, I did some tennis but I wasn't good in either of those.

I like walking, but unfortunately that ranks pretty low when it comes to activity. And the reason I like it is because it's time for myself when I'm not pestered every two seconds by my kids or something... so, gotta laugh at the 'sociable' aspect of exercise being the best part of it, because it's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I've started to run a bit but I can't say I love it, I just do it to burn calories... although I guess it's nice to see that I can do it. And yeah I'll ride my stationary bike while watching TV, no problem there either, I don't mind.

Maybe the problem is that you are only exercising to burn calories.

Not pointing fingers...I felt that same way in the beginning. I quit tracking my exercise. I didn't want to only do it to lose weight. I now use my exercise to gauge my daily activity level. It took some of the stress off.

This way it allowed me to do the things that I enjoyed instead of doing the things that burned the most calories. Walking might not burn a lot of calories but it keeps me up and moving...not just for 30 minutes or an hour...but all day long. I pick routes that challenge me...up and down hills...sometimes I go for speed...sometimes distance. Soon I will be moving to a place where there is a set (lots of steps) that I can add to my walks.

I am not fond of strength training (probably because I never feel as if I know what I am doing or like you said...my progress is slow...but I am 62 and need to cut myself some slack).

I just could never wrap my head around...exercising to eat more. I had to separate the diet from the exercise and just let them compliment each other instead of being dependent upon each other.
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the poster who said that it's what adults do to be responsible or something like that. My first response was to feel angry, but you are correct. Burying my head in the sand won't get me any closer to my goal and will end in my developing Type II Diabetes and other weight related problems. I've always said I dislike exercise, but the truth is I DO enjoy walking, swimming, roller skating and Zumba. There are two things I need to do immediately. The first is working exercise into my schedule at least four days a week. I mean, I eat everyday, I bathe everyday I can move everyday too. The second thing is I got a Wi and I want to find a good Zumba game/program to use at home when I can't make it to class.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Maybe the problem is that you are only exercising to burn calories.

Not pointing fingers...I felt that same way in the beginning. I quit tracking my exercise. I didn't want to only do it to lose weight. I now use my exercise to gauge my daily activity level. It took some of the stress off.

This way it allowed me to do the things that I enjoyed instead of doing the things that burned the most calories. Walking might not burn a lot of calories but it keeps me up and moving...not just for 30 minutes or an hour...but all day long. I pick routes that challenge me...up and down hills...sometimes I go for speed...sometimes distance. Soon I will be moving to a place where there is a set (lots of steps) that I can add to my walks.

I am not fond of strength training (probably because I never feel as if I know what I am doing or like you said...my progress is slow...but I am 62 and need to cut myself some slack).

I just could never wrap my head around...exercising to eat more. I had to separate the diet from the exercise and just let them compliment each other instead of being dependent upon each other.

Actually I use TDEE because I hated having to track exercise.

I have to add - I like hiking. But I have little kids who scream and whine and complain if we go somewhere and walk longer than a mile. It makes it impossible... although we keep trying (and regretting it). But even on the best days I keep having to wait for hubby and kids to catch up. Even when they are in school, I can't exactly drive one hour somewhere for a hike that might take 3 or 4 hours when I have to pick them up 6 hours later... so my options are pretty limited (plus the weather makes it pretty unpleasant 7 months out of 12 anyway).

When I lived or worked in Paris (coincidentally), I used to walk 3 hours a day... Here it's just harder to do so, lack of sidewalks or just not much to see. I'd totally go to NYC just to spend the day in Central Park but again... kids. Bleh.
  • FisherGT
    FisherGT Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling of hiking to find myself at the top of a mountain. I enjoy skateboarding with the radio playing. I enjoy swimming and being active. Doing situps? not so much. Its about finding ways to be active that you enjoy.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Oh OP thankyouthankyouthankyou!
    I hate exercise. I hate the sweaty, clammy, lung wrenching, red misting, under achieving whole thing. Yes. I was one of the kids picked last for teams. I can't catch or hit a ball. I have huge boobs that could be classed along with anti personnel weaponry when moving at anything over a brisk amble. I've worn sports bras built by Tony Stark in order to do the following:
    I have in my time tried aerobics/water aerobics, running/jogging, badminton, climbing, cycling, fell walking, gym, horse riding, lacrosse, martial arts, pilates, squash, swimming, tennis, volleyball, windsurfing and zumba.
    Some of these things I have enjoyed doing. Most of them I've enjoyed stopping. I did get a buzz from post work out doing some of them. But I hated starting all of them. The only one I did become addicted too was gym, but that was after my beloved husband died. Once I got beyond the severe grief the old drudgery kicked in.
    I'm living in hope of once I've lost the bulk I'll find it easier and I do fully intend to join a gym in another 30lbs or so.
    I am in awe of some of the gym bunnies on here and would love to be in your ranks. I salute you... but
    for now I'm going to keep counting as activity gardening, housework and walking the dog.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I have to add - I like hiking. But I have little kids who scream and whine and complain if we go somewhere and walk longer than a mile. It makes it impossible... although we keep trying (and regretting it). But even on the best days I keep having to wait for hubby and kids to catch up.

I have a coworker that vacations by himself once a year just so he can go hiking in beautiful mountains. The way he described it, it's very economical because he books his trips well in advance, nothing fancy but a place to rest his head while hiking, etc

And it's pretty clear that you're very active! I think you're boxed in by traditional definitions of exercise (or, perhaps maybe you truly don't like to exercise? :wink: ). Personally I don't believe in any kind of rule that says thou shalt do "cardio" or even "weight lifting", but I suppose that's where the suck it up and do it folks have a point.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

-Dance
    -Gymnastics
    -Swimming
    -Hiking
    -Horseback Riding
    -Golfing
    -Riding a bike
    -Canoeing or kayaking
    -Playing frisbee
    -Playing a sport, like baseball
    -Gardening
    -Hopscotch
    -Visit the zoo
    -Zip lining
    -Martial Arts
    -Roller Skating
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If you like exercise you are either crazy or delusional.

You don't LIKE exercise, you like the way you feel afterward, or you like how you look after spending several weeks on a program.

No one LIKES exercise itself.

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

Skip breakfast and make your mornings useful without stuffing your stomach.

:laugh: This is perhaps the most absurd thing I've read on MFP all week. (Previous Poster: If you don't share my views, you're insane or delusional.) That's a really dysfunctional worldview. :huh:

I stand by the post.

People aren't made to exercise. Exercise is a means to an end.

People aren't made to eat food.

It is a means to an end.

The point of all humans are to reproduce.

Everything else serves that purpose.

Even if it takes delusions or insanity to serve that purpose.

Of course, all people who say they love exercise aren't crazy- not even half of them. :)

By far most are in a delusional state conditioned by culture, or have a secondary objective, i.e. get people to enroll in their work-out class.

People who are rational know that exercise is not fun. But they need to to look good and be healthy.

We are talking repetitive exercise here and not a competitive sport like tennis or golf.

No. People are made to exercise. There are some physical functions that require full ranges of motion and/or regular activity to stay healthy. That's why we have "sedentary diseases."
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    going to the gym and getting in the pool is the highlight of my day. i feel really sorry for anyone who hates themself enough to just plod through a workout they hate every day without exploring other options that might actually be satisfying and enjoyable.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with exercise. I hated it for the first year or so, but since I got a gym in my basement....I'm starting to really look forward to working out. I don't know, it's just my time to be alone, listen to whatever music I want, as loud as I want, and just do my thing. I do mostly strength training, and I feel very accomplished after I add weight, after each workout. I like the way I feel afterward.