think im giving up on the gut flab

Options
cvcman
cvcman Posts: 438 Member
im always under on my calories..ive upped my runs to 8 miles...I dont log everyday because I pretty much eat the same thing everyday...my weight is stable but the flab stays no matter what...in added in weighs....I run or bike at least an hour EVERY day 7 days a week....weights and resistance 3 times a week

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Could you describe your weights routine, please?
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    From what everyone on MFP says and everything I've read elsewhere (except by people trying to sell me something) gut flab isn't going anywhere until a person drops below whatever body fat level is required for their body to start scavenging it, and no diet or exercise routine will change that. For some of us, that means being GAUNT everywhere else. So if it's not worth it to you, don't do it.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried pilates yet, you might. All the cardio is great, I am happy for you that you do it and I am guessing it gives you great joy. My guess is that your body is accustomed to it and it has worked out a fuel plan to make that action happen. I am not saying you can spot-reduce, but you may have room to tighten the inner and outer core muscles some and that may reduce waist circumference.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It could be due to stress. When we are stressed, we release a hormone called cortisol. This hormone causes us to store belly fat. So if you're stressed due to life being life or it could be you're pushing your body too hard during your workouts or just stressing over losing the gut fat. Do what you can to try to relax and ease the stress.
    It may also just be where your body stores fat. My body stores on the arms and legs which is also a pain to lose off of. Don't worry too much about it and keep up with the healthy choices!
  • cvcman
    Options
    not stressed
    weights are...squats,close hand bench press, reverse curls, pull ups, push ups, crunches, all 3 sets of 10
  • nseelam
    nseelam Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Without knowing much about you or your workout regime, there could be a few reasons.

1) Beer Belly: 'gut flab' from excess alcohol might cause this. Even if you work off those calories, I know plenty of people who get a little pudge if they drink.

2) IBS/Some gastrointestinal issue that causes bloating. This is probably unlikely if you have no history of digestive issues.

3) You aren't working out the right resistance training. Maybe less cardio and more workouts targeting the abs. Just amping cardio alone won't do it, and if you aren't pushing your resistance any further, your muscles might not be getting the workout. Also remember when exercising abs to give some love to the obliques- they actually create the nice 'chiseled' shape.

4) Stress can cause it (as Dani Canadian had pointed out)

5) You aren't sleeping enough.

It also depends on how much gut flab you have- you might want to chat with a personal trainer about it. Even a simple 1-1 discussion or a few sessions might be able to pinpoint the issue since they're trained with how to help out these kind of things.

Be happy with your body and be positive toward it, it'll return the favor : )
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    not stressed
    weights are...squats,close hand bench press, reverse curls, pull ups, push ups, crunches, all 3 sets of 10

How heavy?

If you're doing an effective program with heavy weights, you may wish to consider a bulk/cut cycle. Have you tried one yet? This could increase your chances of getting the results that you want. I suppose the theory is that you add muscle and then proceed to lose additional fat.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this new routine? Give yourself a couple months doing the weights - and measure/weigh everything you put in your mouth!!
  • LexisFitMom87
    Options
    You'll want to stay as close as possible to your calorie level. How far under are you typically? It also depends on what type of calories you are consuming. If you're counting calories but they're all bad calories you aren't going to see very many results. Maybe see if you can find a healthy meal plan to follow. That combined with your workouts should really help.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    The same people who will tell you to lift heavy to lose your gut will also say you can't spot reduce (guilty of saying this myself). And it's because we're all reluctant to just come out and say, 'hey, you might need to be extra lean to get rid of the gut'. Yet as far as everyone knows, your body picks where it will lose weight and nothing you can do as far as exercise and meal composition will affect that.

I try to be an optimist and assume that exercise targeting my core will at least let me suck in my gut better. That's the most I can hope for.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You'll want to stay as close as possible to your calorie level. How far under are you typically? It also depends on what type of calories you are consuming. If you're counting calories but they're all bad calories you aren't going to see very many results.
    Concentrated silliness.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yeah it does seem to be the case that some people lose fat relatively evenly but for some of us we have to push our bodies to almost unhealthily skinny to get there. I am praying i am not one of those. However I am in this till my god damn gut disappears. It's me or the gut! When the dust settles only one shall remain!
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary, one thing, you are not eating nearly enough for all the cardio you are doing. If your diary is correct I don't know how you aren't exhausted. I would suggest cutting back on the cardio and kicking up the strength training.
  • Leana93412
    Leana93412 Posts: 162
    Options
    I gave up on mine too. I started doing weight training as well. If I happen to lose the belly then yay for me, if not, well I'm doing this to get stronger overall anyway. :wink:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You'll want to stay as close as possible to your calorie level. How far under are you typically? It also depends on what type of calories you are consuming. If you're counting calories but they're all bad calories you aren't going to see very many results. Maybe see if you can find a healthy meal plan to follow. That combined with your workouts should really help.

Please explain to me the difference between a good calorie and a bad calorie and how our body can tell.
  • cvcman
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary, one thing, you are not eating nearly enough for all the cardio you are doing. If your diary is correct I don't know how you aren't exhausted. I would suggest cutting back on the cardio and kicking up the strength training.

??? so if im " not eating enough" then I wont loose flab ??? That doesnt make any sense
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

??? so if im " not eating enough" then I wont loose flab ??? That doesnt make any sense

Don't listen to that. Some people here believe that eating less will slow your metabolism down to the point where you won't lose any weight. While that's not entirely true, getting enough calories and nutrition are important for muscle retention and long term health. Fuel your body properly. :)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

I know it sounds weird but are you SURE that your stomach is flabby. And that it isn't just excess skin. Because if it is excess skin then it will take time to tighten. And proper nutrition will help it happen faster.
  • LexisFitMom87
    Options

Please explain to me the difference between a good calorie and a bad calorie and how our body can tell.

A good calorie would be something along the lines of veggies, lean protein such as chicken, white fish, eggs, greek yogurt, healthy fats like avocados, almonds and whole grain breads and pastas. 400 calories of vegetables is going to go a lot further than 400 calories of grease and oil such as chips and fried foods and fast foods. It's important you still get enough food though otherwise you don't get the nutrients you need.

I love all that food so it gets to be difficult at times, but if you're pacing yourself and only indulging every now and then you'll have better luck with your weight loss.
  • LexisFitMom87
    Options

I know it sounds crazy but it's true. If you don't eat enough you'll make yourself hungrier and slow down your bodies ability to burn the calories. If you eat more protein and fiber-rich foods you won't be feeling as hungry so you'll be less likely to snack and your body will actually be able to burn the calories when you're working out.