Calorie binge day

Options
Today I am thinking to go on free day of whatever i want and not counting calories for the day.is this recommended? I am afraid to fall of the wagon and undo my work .its only for the day since and I will go back to counting tommorrow.Do you have days like this?

Replies

• vickiem74
    vickiem74 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have splurge days but still log in my diary.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    All the time. However, my overeating days are usually not planned. :embarassed:
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options

^ This
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

how often? do you go over your calorie goal or do you find way to fit it into your goal?
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Why not just splurge on one meal only? I do that now and then, that way the whole day isn't wrecked.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, once in a while I go a little overboard.

One day isn't going to undo all the hard work you've put in. Just go back to your normal routine the next day.
  • hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Why not just splurge on one meal only? I do that now and then, that way the whole day isn't wrecked.

It's not wrecked if you know where you stand, people need to keep track of that. The only way to wreck it is by eating at TDEE daily. Results are still results even if they're very small.

Uh, it would be very easy to undo and entire week of work in one day of calorie binging. No bueno!
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If I overdo it it'll be on a Sunday, at home with the wife and children having a good time!. I suppose it depends on what you mean by binging, 3000+ calories can't be a good thing for weight loss..
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you need a binge day? Is it because you restrict so much the other days?

I think people go too far, then instead of being a livable life choice it turns into a prison sentence!, then it won't last for long..
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

^ This

When I do have a splurge day I try to log most in the diary however I do find it hard to add that handful of chips I may have eaten or a spoonful of ice cream. Just keep yourself in check. If you don't give in once in a while it can mean failure at some point.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I can't do free days because that will derail my whole week, instead once a week I do a free meal. Have pizza (or whatever I've been craving) and a small piece of cake or an ice-cream bar or some other small dessert. I'll be really good the rest of the day so it usually brings me to my maintenance calories so I'm not setting myself back any.

I find my free meals are the key to staying on an eating plan. I don't feel deprived in the least and I actually enjoy that bad food (every single bit or sip of it) where as before I'd just mindlessly shovel it down lol.
  • bettybremner
    bettybremner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Friday night is our "junk food " night. Usually burgers or ballpark hotdogs. I allow 1 night a week to relax the rules, but I still record in my diary.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a binge day--I don't think what that implies, eating beyond hunger, is healthy or appealing. But one of my issues is eating for emotional reasons or to self-comfort, so it might just be that it plays into that.

I do fit higher-calorie foods I like, including splurgy restaurant meals, into my plan on a regular basis and sometimes I do this by having one day a week where I eat more calories than on other days. Usually these days I can manage that by using the calories from a big workout, but early on I was more likely to perhaps build up some calories on other days and then have a splurge meal. But for me it's generally a meal, not a day--in fact I'll typically eat a bit lower calorie for the rest of the day and I do log it (even if it's just a rough estimate).

The exception would be a planned vacation day where I knew there'd be lots of food or a holiday, maybe. I'd happily schedule that into a week and maybe just consider it a diet break and not worry about having a maintenance week.

For me there's a difference between planning for a specific day that I know will involve going over my usual calories (for example, a night out for Chicago-style pizza) and simply planning to have a day of eating anything, as I think the latter would probably encourage me to just eat for the sake of eating.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Figuring out how to fit the foods you love into your daily/weekly/overall goals is one of the most rewarding challenges of this journey, in my opinion.

If you learn how to do this, a couple years from now, you'll be sitting around eating something delicious (that you've fit into your overall plan) and everyone around you will accuse you of "being able to eat anything you want and never gain weight." And you'll chuckle to yourself as you indulge in that chocolate shake, or whatever it is.