How bad is a daily bagel with cream cheese

Options

Replies

• HappierMe1023
    HappierMe1023 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses here so my apologies if it has already been mentioned but my advice if you MUST have the daily bagel is to change the time you are eating it. Do you work out? Although there are better carbs than those coming from bread, it is suggested to have carbs a couple hours prior to your workouts. Carbs give us energy (we need them, they shouldn't be avoided like some dieters do). It is also wise to put your most calorie heavy meals earlier in the day because it gives you more hours ahead of you to burn them off. If I were you, I would have my bagel for lunch or breakfast(probably lunch on the days I meet with my trainer after work). Have your salad and protein for dinner.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses here so my apologies if it has already been mentioned but my advice if you MUST have the daily bagel is to change the time you are eating it. Do you work out? Although there are better carbs than those coming from bread, it is suggested to have carbs a couple hours prior to your workouts. Carbs give us energy (we need them, they shouldn't be avoided like some dieters do). It is also wise to put your most calorie heavy meals earlier in the day because it gives you more hours ahead of you to burn them off. If I were you, I would have my bagel for lunch or breakfast(probably lunch on the days I meet with my trainer after work). Have your salad and protein for dinner.
    I think that's a good idea about changing the time that I eat the bagel. Maybe I should eat it before working out.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    One of the worst things you can eat for breakfast because it's loaded with bad carbs and refined sugar. Once you hit your goal weight, enjoy them (unless you start gaining weight). But in your weight-loss phase, avoid at all costs.

"Bad carbs." Bad advice.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    One of the worst things you can eat for breakfast because it's loaded with bad carbs and refined sugar. Once you hit your goal weight, enjoy them (unless you start gaining weight). But in your weight-loss phase, avoid at all costs.

didn't hamper my weight loss at all.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bagel and cream cheese is my go to breakfast. Other people may have issues with it, but for me, it fills me up and keeps me going. There aren't a lot of things I really want to eat first thing in the morning.
  • paulzli
    paulzli Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    HEHEHEH. A gigantic everything bagel with seeds nuts etc halved and toasted to perfection. 4 tablespoons of garlic and chives cream cheese(2 per side). A good 6 oz of Gravilox norwegian sliced cured salmon. 10 thin slices of cucumber. Capers, dill, and more chives! Lastly, one poached egg.

A 1200 CALORIE BOMB THAT IS TO DIE FOR. I have this once a month.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Check the nutritional info on the bag of bagels that you intend to use. That will give you the calorie content.

If a bagel with cream cheese fits into your daily goal then by all means eat one per day. But would you not rather have some variety in your food? That said, I've eaten the same thing for lunch for a while now (until today as I think I've finally sickened myself of it!) so who am I to judge.

Can I ask what your daily calorie goal is?

I get the bagels from the bagel store in my neighborhood. So I don't have the nutritional information available.

A bagel store?! Living in Northern Ireland, this is something I've never seen or heard of. Here, we only have bagels in packaging :(

WOW, I'm so sorry. I wish I could send you a box of fresh bagels. I'd freeze them and then you could toast them.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    My local bagel place has the nutritional info posted on a small sheet of paper near the display case. Maybe ask someone there if they have the info available? If not, I'd just guesstimate using somewhere that gives the info (Dunkin' for example).

Dunkin Bagels are barely equivalent to good bagels. They are close but not like the real boiled bagel. numnum
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    If I had a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast or lunch, I don't feel hungry until next day...so I guess from weight loss stand point, it's not too bad.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have this for breakfast pretty much every morning at work. I don't see a problem with it. It's delicious and I meet my calorie and macro goals every day. Soooooo...I fail to see a problem.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Good, this is something I have experience with.

A bagel a day with cream cheese, even if it's scooped, is still responsible for approximately 25 lbs in a year. If it fits in your macros, try it, but I am living proof that it's not a very good idea for maintenance if you are trying to lose. Ok, there are the tiny bagels made by Thomas' and that may be a better deal, but I like the "real bagels."

We have the best bagels in the world (New York) and when I started working at my job, I was at least 25 lbs less. I have been eating a bagel a day for about two years. I'm working on trying to have it once a week but it's hard.

Even if it's pumpernickel or whole wheat, it's still heavy. Like I said, if it fits your macros and you're already on the path to awesome fit monster, I say go for it, but it not, be careful.

We have better bagels in Montreal.

Thems fighting words Canada! En Garde!!!!
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The greatest discovery:
    http://www.fitshop.ca/p-28-bagels-6-per-pack.html

They also make bread and flatbread.
    [/quote

I was just going to post about eating high protein, low carb bagels, I eat them often without the guilt and worrying about the carbs. Good luck.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Long Island Bagel Cafe in NYC. nom nom
    Bagels & Co. in Fresh Meadows, Queens.

Glendale Bagels on Myrtle Avenue, Glendale Queens. What-WHAT!!!
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I want to eat one bagel with cream cheese a day. For breakfast I have a slim fast shake, lunch I have grilled tilapia and spinach with a fruit salad. And for dinner I have a bagel with cream cheese and coffee. Am I sabotaging my weight loss by eating the bagel? I read somewhere that bagels have 700 calories in it. I don't know how true this is because my fitness pal says that a bagel is only 230 calories.

You read "somewhere?" Like in a tabloid? On a bumper sticker?

Are you unable to find nutritional information for bagels, that you can be reasonably confident of?

Assuming this post is legit, it no longer surprises me why some have an endless battle with weight loss.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    HEHEHEH. A gigantic everything bagel with seeds nuts etc halved and toasted to perfection. 4 tablespoons of garlic and chives cream cheese(2 per side). A good 6 oz of Gravilox norwegian sliced cured salmon. 10 thin slices of cucumber. Capers, dill, and more chives! Lastly, one poached egg.

A 1200 CALORIE BOMB THAT IS TO DIE FOR. I have this once a month.

Word to the bomb my brother!!!!
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    I want to eat one bagel with cream cheese a day. For breakfast I have a slim fast shake, lunch I have grilled tilapia and spinach with a fruit salad. And for dinner I have a bagel with cream cheese and coffee. Am I sabotaging my weight loss by eating the bagel? I read somewhere that bagels have 700 calories in it. I don't know how true this is because my fitness pal says that a bagel is only 230 calories.

You read "somewhere?" Like in a tabloid? On a bumper sticker?

Are you unable to find nutritional information for bagels, that you can be reasonably confident of?

Assuming this post is legit, it no longer surprises me why some have an endless battle with weight loss.

Hello,
    I read the information on a website. And yes, sometimes it is hard to find accurate nutritional information with reasonable confidence.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Best bagel in NY is Brooklyn Bagel, Ditmars BLVD in Astoria. And I'm from Glendale!!

:smile:
  • cookieinbk82
    Options

Bagel Boy on 3rd ave in Brooklyn, NY is amazing too.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    No food is bad.