Asian family make me want to starve myself

Options
13»

Replies

• bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Have you tried telling them how they make you feel. I think that is horrible. Is going home an option?

With a lot of respect, I would tell them that I want to leave earlier for that reason, if they really care about you, they may think twice before they call you fat.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I advise you beat them into submission.

But since we know you can't do that, you are just going to have to work extra hard to tune them out. You're not fat. It's gotta do a number on your self-esteem, but do your best not to pay them any mind. Good luck.

This. Maybe this is a cultural thing, idk. But if a close family member called me fat repeatedly (idc if it's my grandmother either), I'd start picking on them until they STFU and mind their own business. Do they know you're trying to be conscious of your daily intake and exercise? And they're still doing it? I'd smack a b!tch.

Listen to her. Just because they are family doesn't give them the right. If you "smack a b!tch" they will still be family.
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As a female Asian, you are FAT since the age of 16 up until you have a daughter or niece that you can call FAT, then your mom/aunt will leave you alone. It's a tradition. You learn to be OK with yourself or forever be FAT....Grasshopper!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Here is my southern belle standard reply "Well, bless your heart, thanks for caring". Your relatives won't understand that this is actually an insult.
    I love this! Can I borrow it even though I'm a Brit :)
    OP, families can be odd that way. My heart goes out to you. Remember though, no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

Of course you can. Southern belles have the tone of voice down to an art form, so that folks will know if they are being honest or sarcastic.

lol All of us southerners do. There's a big difference between saying 'Aw, bless your heart' and "Well, bless your heart". It's all in the tone. :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As a female Asian, you are FAT since the age of 16 up until you have a daughter or niece that you can call FAT, then your mom/aunt will leave you alone. It's a tradition. You learn to be OK with yourself or forever be FAT....Grasshopper!
    LOL
    Clearly I'm not Asian- but it sounds a lot like what all of my Asian friends would say. (or have said).
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

:laugh: ^^THIS!

Unfortunately, I know all too well that it's a cultural thing. As an Asian myself, i had to put up with that sort of crap growing up. It's not just the old school grandmothers and grandfathers, it's also the *kitten* males. They seriously see nothing wrong with talking about your weight.

I say you can tell them that it bothers you, and that you don't agree with this part about your culture. There's a way you can bite back without disrespecting... Tread carefully!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: for whatever it's worth, my working class, caucasian American father repeatedly told us we were getting fat, questioned our decision to eat a second biscuit with dinner etc.
    Once, when I was in my 20s, at 5'6" 135LBS he said (as I walked past): "God damn you're getting broad in the beam, you'd better watch those cupcakes!"

in high school my dad pinched my side and said- when you are going to drop this baby fat???

gave me a horrible complex for months and months.
    UGH
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Here is my southern belle standard reply "Well, bless your heart, thanks for caring". Your relatives won't understand that this is actually an insult.

this!