Self-Acceptance or Complacency or Just Whining

Options

Replies

• WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Feel free to ignore me, we'll see who ends up fatter, me the one who has avoided exercise for 61 years, or most of y'all that exercise and ruin your metabolism with long slow dieting.

Yes. We'll see. :noway:

And no, I won't ignore, because when idiotic and downright dangerous advice is given on the forums, I feel it absolutely necessary to refute it, not only for the OP asking questions but the countless users who silently read these forums.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    In late spring when I finished with the workplace fitness weight loss program and I was netting around 1200, the nutritionist said that it might be very hard for me to lose much more because it's hard to maintain a deficit at my smaller size and that with my level of workouts, I do have some muscle mass. By the way I haven't just started working out, but I've been woring out for years; however since January, I have been more consistent. The lightheadedness is very recent, after I dropped my net to 1040. I really do miss those extra 160 calories so I'm thinking of up-ing them. I saw my doctor recently, and I'm in good health, just very high cholesterol, which I'm trying to reduce through diet and exercise. I had a nice long walk and talk with my son who is into bodybuilding, and he says I should try eating more for a week, not focus on heavy cardio but more on strength, and see what happens. I complain about my husband and sons, but they are really very affirming and supportive of me.

As far as the poster above who said her goal is 112, she's posted on other threads and I'm ignoring her. I would literally die (and as an English teacher I mean literally) if I ate what she does and worked out.

Yeah I shouldn't compare myself with my sister. It's amazing what happens when you have to put a bathing suit on in front of someone who is very fit and has never had children. All the insecurities come out.

I agree with your son. You look great, and I think you should eat maintenance and try strength training to change your shape rather than the number on the scale.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Just because you're short doesn't mean you have to weigh 100 pounds. I am 5'1" and 120 looks nearly perfect for me. Anything less and I look sickly. How do you really feel at 120? Strong? Fit? Healthy? Do you truly feel "fat" at 120, or are you focused on a lower number purely because of your height?
  • missh1967
    Options
    Feel free to ignore me, we'll see who ends up fatter, me the one who has avoided exercise for 61 years, or most of y'all that exercise and ruin your metabolism with long slow dieting.
    head:desk
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Just because you're short doesn't mean you have to weigh 100 pounds. I am 5'1" and 120 looks nearly perfect for me. Anything less and I look sickly. How do you really feel at 120? Strong? Fit? Healthy? Do you truly feel "fat" at 120, or are you focused on a lower number purely because of your height?

For a while, I felt good at 120 but I wonder if I am just "settling" when I read about and see women who weigh less. It is on the high side of normal BMI. In terms of health, I feel good but over the past two weeks cut calories too low and am feeling it. I'm going to be taking the advice of so many and upping calories; if I want to recomp, it's hard to get enough protein on a low net.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if you keep working out hard without eating enough food - and particularly enough protein - you're breaking down muscle tissue your body doesn't have the calories to replace. that means that in a resting state you burn LESS calories.

btw, BMI tends to be very much an average that doesn't apply to me, and chances are it won't apply to you as it sounds like you're quite active, so are possibly higher than normal lean muscle mass. recently when i weighed 171 pounds i was about 40% body fat but according to my BMI i was 30.5%. years ago when i was a gym rat i weighed the exact same thing - 171 pounds - and was well under 25% body fat, so at either time BMI was pretty much totally wrong.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    B
  • caracrawford1
    Options
    Let's see exercise...
    Increases endorphins (feel good hormone), lifting depression
    Increases "good cholesterol"
    Improves cardiovascular (heart health)
    Increases libido
    Improves muscle tone and bone density--reducing the risk of injury to falls and osteoporosis as one ages
    Improves circulation
    I could go on and on.
    But most importantly it improves quality of life and lengthens life span. So home girl who doesn't exercise will be more likely to die sooner and she'll be skinny fat once she does croak.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Quality of life? Exercise is agony. Is, torture. Suffer tremendously, so that I can live, and suffer, longer?

I agree with you that exercise could have health benefits and possibly prolong life. It absolutely does not improve depression in my case, for it agitates me and makes me hostile. I am told this is adrenaline.

No health benefit, nor increased lifespan, is worth the intense anguish of chest pain/not being able to breathe due to physical exertion. Not to mention the muscle pains. I have experienced agonizing pain from physical exertion my entire life, from as far back as I can recall (age 3.) LONG before I became a vegan; LONG before I EVER dieted.

My only health.problem is anemia/pernicious anemia due to not financially being able to afford nutritious vegan food or vegan supplements. Other than that, I am the healthiest person I know, and here is proof positive (WARNING: graphic TMI !!!!)-- until November 29, 2012, when one of my enemies gave me poisoned coffee, I had not puked since December 25, 1975, when I got food poisoning. That is less than one month shy of 37 years without ever puking. I don't believe many people can attest to a streak like that. Not the folks I know, anyway.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Quality of life? Exercise is agony. Is, torture. Suffer tremendously, so that I can live, and suffer, longer?

I agree with you that exercise could have health benefits and possibly prolong life. It absolutely does not improve depression in my case, for it agitates me and makes me hostile. I am told this is adrenaline.

No health benefit, nor increased lifespan, is worth the intense anguish of chest pain/not being able to breathe due to physical exertion. Not to mention the muscle pains. I have experienced agonizing pain from physical exertion my entire life, from as far back as I can recall (age 3.) LONG before I became a vegan; LONG before I EVER dieted.

My only health.problem is anemia/pernicious anemia due to not financially being able to afford nutritious vegan food or vegan supplements. Other than that, I am the healthiest person I know, and here is proof positive (WARNING: graphic TMI !!!!)-- until November 29, 2012, when one of my enemies gave me poisoned coffee, I had not puked since December 25, 1975, when I got food poisoning. That is less than one month shy of 37 years without ever puking. I don't believe many people can attest to a streak like that. Not the folks I know, anyway.

If you are having chest pains that you describe as anguish during exercise, that is pretty serious; you probably should be seeing a doctor. Chest pains are not the same as soreness from overexertion.

My daughter was a vegan (now she's vegetarian) while she was a college student on a budget, and she was able to get many healthy vegan foods that were affordable. She learned to make inexpensive casseroles with beans and such and joined a farmer's market coooperative so she could get reasonable fresh foods. She didn't live on soda and Pringles. You can get a can of 99% fat free Progresso lentil soup for the same price as a can of Pringles.

I wouldn't consider not puking in 37 years a sign of health, just of a strong digestion.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

You keep saying all these words. But none of them useful or applicable to the OP.
    If you are having chest pains that you describe as anguish during exercise, that is pretty serious; you probably should be seeing a doctor. Chest pains are not the same as soreness from overexertion.

My daughter was a vegan (now she's vegetarian) while she was a college student on a budget, and she was able to get many healthy vegan foods that were affordable. She learned to make inexpensive casseroles with beans and such and joined a farmer's market coooperative so she could get reasonable fresh foods. She didn't live on soda and Pringles. You can get a can of 99% fat free Progresso lentil soup for the same price as a can of Pringles.

I wouldn't consider not puking in 37 years a sign of health, just of a strong digestion.

Definitely. All of this.
  • missh1967
    Options

So many LOLs I don't even know where to begin......
  • caracrawford1
    Options
    Chest pain is not a normal part of exercise. That should be looked into by a doctor. If you have "enemies" who are close enough to you so as to be serving you poisoned coffee..I don't even know where to begin with your issues....
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think life is too short to be miserable! You are 55 and maybe it's not your goal to have a bikini ready body. Or maybe it is. Once you figure out what you really want, you can act accordingly.

It sounds like it is more important to you to not be starving all the time. :) That is reasonable. So why not be at peace with your current weight and just live your best, healthiest life possible?

In terms of lowering your cholesterol (its role in heart disease is debatable now, btw) exercise is one of the best ways of achieving that. Diet can also help but exercise is KING.....vigorous exercise.

You might consider eating at TDEE (which does not allow you to eat exercise calories, but you get to eat the same amount every day, which is around 1480 for you).

Exercise because it is good for your body and state of mind. Eat for nourishment and on occasion, to celebrate life.

In the end, you probably won't regret being active. But you might regret making yourself miserable by not eating enough.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sigh. First of all, I think you look fabulous and I commend you for being so active! But I really think you will enjoy your vacation much more if you stop comparing yourself to your sister and just enjoy being you. :heart: Look around the world and you will see that it could be a LOT worse! Life is very short and we should enjoy it as much as we can. As to your diet, your calories do sound pretty low. Are you definitely weighing everything you eat? What happens if you try to gradually increase them? Also if you try to get 30% cals from protein it really does help with satiety.

This ^^^^^^

You are going to ruin your vacation with this competitive thought process. How about just going and enjoying each other's company.
  • rosebette
    Options
    I was doing my daily reading and meditations, and one of them was about control and goal-setting. It was about being so focused on a goal that one felt it had to control one's life and make one control every aspect of one's life, where sometimes "letting go" a bit might actually improve one's outlook and life -- letting go of the grip on the goal and of the control you believe you have over the goal. This probably sounds completely counterintuitive for many people on this site, who may be significantly overweight and really have to take control over their lives and their bodies in order to become healthy. However, from the many supportive and helpful posts I've seen on this current thread, I think it may apply to my own situation -- that I have a goal that might not be realistic or that important (will I keel over in 6 months if I don't get down to 110 lbs.?) and may be impacting meaningful parts of my life. Anyway, thanks to all who have been so wise and supportive and honest.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I was doing my daily reading and meditations, and one of them was about control and goal-setting. It was about being so focused on a goal that one felt it had to control one's life and make one control every aspect of one's life, where sometimes "letting go" a bit might actually improve one's outlook and life -- letting go of the grip on the goal and of the control you believe you have over the goal. This probably sounds completely counterintuitive for many people on this site, who may be significantly overweight and really have to take control over their lives and their bodies in order to become healthy. However, from the many supportive and helpful posts I've seen on this current thread, I think it may apply to my own situation -- that I have a goal that might not be realistic or that important (will I keel over in 6 months if I don't get down to 110 lbs.?) and may be impacting meaningful parts of my life. Anyway, thanks to all who have been so wise and supportive and honest.
    "When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius

Best of luck, OP.

ETA
    I should add that if you think a goal is healthy, simply adjust a deadline.
  • rosebette
    Options
    I haven't really set a deadline. It does look like at the rate I'm going it could take a year to lose those last 10 lbs., but I'll still be alive in a year! A few years back, I lost 20 in 6 months, but I was truly overweight then and coming off a period of being inactive due to an injury. I'm much closer to my setpoint now.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I hold deeply in my heart the belief that when I got down to 25% body fat, the healthier option for me was to go into the highest maintenance calories I can eat while maintaining a consistent, progressive strength training routine. Again and again I've seen examples where simple consistency pays off with amazing results after a year.

110 might be possible, however it looks like you're being painted into a really unhealthy corner to get there. In your situation, I'd take six months off and see what focusing on strength would get me.

Even more fun than looking better than your sister is to eat a "normal" breakfast while she starves herself on low fat yogurt.