Self-Acceptance or Complacency or Just Whining

Options

Replies

• keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @ rosebette, you look perfectly healthy in your pics, I wouldn't try to loose any more if I were you!.

You may have just hit your natural weight for your muscle mass?.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I hold deeply in my heart the belief that when I got down to 25% body fat, the healthier option for me was to go into the highest maintenance calories I can eat while maintaining a consistent, progressive strength training routine. Again and again I've seen examples where simple consistency pays off with amazing results after a year.

110 might be possible, however it looks like you're being painted into a really unhealthy corner to get there. In your situation, I'd take six months off and see what focusing on strength would get me.

Even more fun than looking better than your sister is to eat a "normal" breakfast while she starves herself on low fat yogurt.

I'm probably still around 30% bodyfat, so I need to do some work in that area. I'm a curvy type. Actually, my "normal" breakfast could be lowfat yogurt and fruit too! But I tend to eat often -- midmorning snack and a mid afternoon snack that is usually a protein and fruit. My sister is a vegetarian but within those restrictions, she eats whatever she wants -- plenty of eggs and cheese which I tend to avoid due to cholesterol issues. The other reason I'm jealous is that except for being vegetarian she eats anything she wants and stays thin; she'll order pasta with some kind of cheese sauce and have dessert, too! All she does is walk her dog. She doesn't even go to the gym. But she never had children, which makes a big difference in a woman's body's tendency to maintain fat reserves.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I hold deeply in my heart the belief that when I got down to 25% body fat, the healthier option for me was to go into the highest maintenance calories I can eat while maintaining a consistent, progressive strength training routine. Again and again I've seen examples where simple consistency pays off with amazing results after a year.

110 might be possible, however it looks like you're being painted into a really unhealthy corner to get there. In your situation, I'd take six months off and see what focusing on strength would get me.

Even more fun than looking better than your sister is to eat a "normal" breakfast while she starves herself on low fat yogurt.

I'm probably still around 30% bodyfat, so I need to do some work in that area. I'm a curvy type. Actually, my "normal" breakfast could be lowfat yogurt and fruit too! But I tend to eat often -- midmorning snack and a mid afternoon snack that is usually a protein and fruit. My sister is a vegetarian but within those restrictions, she eats whatever she wants -- plenty of eggs and cheese which I tend to avoid due to cholesterol issues. The other reason I'm jealous is that except for being vegetarian she eats anything she wants and stays thin; she'll order pasta with some kind of cheese sauce and have dessert, too! All she does is walk her dog. She doesn't even go to the gym. But she never had children, which makes a big difference in a woman's body's tendency to maintain fat reserves.
    I mean this in the nicest way possible. Isn't it exhausting to compare yourself to someone else constantly? Why not compare you to yourself only?

Look at what your starting point was, look at what you've achieved so far, and ponder where you would like to be in a while. There's only one person in your race and that's you. You can either win or lose, and from where I'm looking it seems like you've already won because you've made a change to your lifestyle. The remaining part is fine-tuning.

You've been blessed with a body that can do lots of things and your body is as unique as the one your sister has. Why do you feel jealousy?
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    At your age and height I think your current weight is just fine. You look great. Maybe it's time to be happy with where you are and let go of the "ideal weight."
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Being 5'1 and 120 pounds puts you in a normal weight range for that height, so for the most part I would say don't worry about it too much. You're already at a healthy weight.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I should have inserted a comma-- I am aware that exercise increases metabolism. However, from what I see on these forums, the majority of those people on here who exercise are unsuccessful in weight loss, because they are consuming too many calories. Why isn't their recommended caloric intake working? It's set too high, that's why. The "ruin metabolism" refers to long slow dieting-- losing one pound, a half-pound, per week for months and months. I never diet for long, and my metabolism remains fast.

The majority of people who exercise are unsuccessful in their weight loss....??

I'm sorry, what forums are you reading? On my FL alone there is a cumulative loss of thousands of pounds that have been lost and maintained. We are runners, lifters, zumba addicts, swimmers, bikers....

You spew nonsense and uneducated BS.

tumblr_m1z93yjIl21r5jtugo1_500.gif
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Quality of life? Exercise is agony. Is, torture. Suffer tremendously, so that I can live, and suffer, longer?

I agree with you that exercise could have health benefits and possibly prolong life. It absolutely does not improve depression in my case, for it agitates me and makes me hostile. I am told this is adrenaline.

No health benefit, nor increased lifespan, is worth the intense anguish of chest pain/not being able to breathe due to physical exertion. Not to mention the muscle pains. I have experienced agonizing pain from physical exertion my entire life, from as far back as I can recall (age 3.) LONG before I became a vegan; LONG before I EVER dieted.

My only health.problem is anemia/pernicious anemia due to not financially being able to afford nutritious vegan food or vegan supplements. Other than that, I am the healthiest person I know, and here is proof positive (WARNING: graphic TMI !!!!)-- until November 29, 2012, when one of my enemies gave me poisoned coffee, I had not puked since December 25, 1975, when I got food poisoning. That is less than one month shy of 37 years without ever puking. I don't believe many people can attest to a streak like that. Not the folks I know, anyway.

So much no.

200.gif
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Quality of life? Exercise is agony. Is, torture. Suffer tremendously, so that I can live, and suffer, longer?

I agree with you that exercise could have health benefits and possibly prolong life. It absolutely does not improve depression in my case, for it agitates me and makes me hostile. I am told this is adrenaline.

No health benefit, nor increased lifespan, is worth the intense anguish of chest pain/not being able to breathe due to physical exertion. Not to mention the muscle pains. I have experienced agonizing pain from physical exertion my entire life, from as far back as I can recall (age 3.) LONG before I became a vegan; LONG before I EVER dieted.

My only health.problem is anemia/pernicious anemia due to not financially being able to afford nutritious vegan food or vegan supplements. Other than that, I am the healthiest person I know, and here is proof positive (WARNING: graphic TMI !!!!)-- until November 29, 2012, when one of my enemies gave me poisoned coffee, I had not puked since December 25, 1975, when I got food poisoning. That is less than one month shy of 37 years without ever puking. I don't believe many people can attest to a streak like that. Not the folks I know, anyway.

There's a whole lot of bat**** crazy up in here. ^^^^
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I mean this in the nicest way possible. Isn't it exhausting to compare yourself to someone else constantly? Why not compare you to yourself only?

Look at what your starting point was, look at what you've achieved so far, and ponder where you would like to be in a while. There's only one person in your race and that's you. You can either win or lose, and from where I'm looking it seems like you've already won because you've made a change to your lifestyle. The remaining part is fine-tuning.

You've been blessed with a body that can do lots of things and your body is as unique as the one your sister has. Why do you feel jealousy?

My Great Aunt was hugely rivalrous with my grandmother until the day she died. We are human. They are sisters. My daughters are forming this path for themselves while we speak.

Based on your picture, I'm having a really, really hard time believing that you are 30% body fat. How are you measuring? 'Cause I'm struggling here.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

My Great Aunt was hugely rivalrous with my grandmother until the day she died. We are human. They are sisters. My daughters are forming this path for themselves while we speak.
    I have a sister and we are best friends on this earth. I guess I don't understand it.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I should have inserted a comma-- I am aware that exercise increases metabolism. However, from what I see on these forums, the majority of those people on here who exercise are unsuccessful in weight loss, because they are consuming too many calories. Why isn't their recommended caloric intake working? It's set too high, that's why. The "ruin metabolism" refers to long slow dieting-- losing one pound, a half-pound, per week for months and months. I never diet for long, and my metabolism remains fast.

I'm sorry, what forums are you reading? On my FL alone there is a cumulative loss of thousands of pounds that have been lost and maintained. We are runners, lifters, zumba addicts, swimmers, bikers....

I don't read every thread, and as I do not read the threads about exercise regimes, there are probably many more success stories about people who exercise has helped reach their goal weight, than I was aware of-- that's a good point. Based on the threads I have read, most of the people here using the exercise-more-eat-more weight loss strategy have failed. It must require a very carefully calculated balance of exercise and calories; some folks have it figured out and made it work for them, and others are setting their calories too high and fail. The latter group is more dominant in the threads I click on, because I don't click on threads with titles that include words like "cardio" or "lifting," etc. So I see many more failures than successes.

I am curious about the idea presented by a recent post on this thread stating that pregnancy impacts fat reserves-- I have never been pregnant; does this mean my body chemistry or hormonal balance or metabolism is different from women who have had kids?
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Feel free to ignore me, we'll see who ends up fatter, me the one who has avoided exercise for 61 years, or most of y'all that exercise and ruin your metabolism with long slow dieting.
    head:desk

^^That was my reaction!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I don't read every thread, and as I do not read the threads about exercise regimes, there are probably many more success stories about people who exercise has helped reach their goal weight, than I was aware of-- that's a good point. Based on the threads I have read, most of the people here using the exercise-more-eat-more weight loss strategy have failed. It must require a very carefully calculated balance of exercise and calories; some folks have it figured out and made it work for them, and others are setting their calories too high and fail. The latter group is more dominant in the threads I click on, because I don't click on threads with titles that include words like "cardio" or "lifting," etc. So I see many more failures than successes.

I am curious about the idea presented by a recent post on this thread stating that pregnancy impacts fat reserves-- I have never been pregnant; does this mean my body chemistry or hormonal balance or metabolism is different from women who have had kids?

Lady stop talking.

You do not have a healthy relationship with food or exercise so you need to stop trying to give advice to anyone. Forever.
    You're also the worst vegan I've ever seen. With the money you spend on bean dip, pringles, and diet soda, you could create healthy vegan dishes using fresh vegetables, quinoa, and lentils.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Feel free to ignore me, we'll see who ends up fatter, me the one who has avoided exercise for 61 years, or most of y'all that exercise and ruin your metabolism with long slow dieting.
    head:desk

^^That was my reaction!

I just blocked her.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Lady stop talking.

You do not have a healthy relationship with food or exercise so you need to stop trying to give advice to anyone. Forever.
    You're also the worst vegan I've ever seen. With the money you spend on bean dip, pringles, and diet soda, you could create healthy vegan dishes using fresh vegetables, quinoa, and lentils.

Her diary reminds me of the Dumb and Dumber scene where Harry tells Lloyd to "just get the essentials."
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and 5' 3 1/2." My ideal weight is 112.

There is no need to settle for holding on to a few vanity pounds.

The loss of only a few pounds can make an incredible difference on a petite frame! I am talking, a serious, dramatic difference! You may need to see it to believe it-- but if you decide to get rid of the vanity pounds, you will understand exactly what I am talking about.

I do not exercise at all because, frankly, I am unwilling to put myself through that. I just do not like exercise. So I am not in a position to advise you about eating back exercise calories. All I know is that dieting without exercise works excellently for me. Then again, you may be shooting for muscle definition, which is something I do not want for myself. And even tho I am a couple of inches taller than you, it's possible that you look thinner at 120 than I did, because you may carry more muscle. I personally don't want to be model-thin.

But I know I am a "pudgelet" at 120, devoid of a waist, and at 112 slender and with a waist. The difference is striking.

You don't exercise .... you don't eat (averaging under 700 total calories per day for the last month) .... what you do eat is devoid of nutritional value (protein, have you heard of it?) ... and you still don't have the body you want. If anything, your advice is contraindicated by your own lack of progress (not to mention all science).

Agree!! :flowerforyou:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Also, your comment about "who ends up fatter" is a nasty, vindictive thing to say. Vamoose!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Try carb cycling, where for like 3 days a good portion of your calories come from healthy carbs like potatoes and other veggies, and then for the next 3 days you cut way back on carbs, then you go back to your normal balance. It appears to me that if your body gets too accustomed to any diet or fitness routine it quits losing fat, and you have to do something different to restart the process.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    "My Great Aunt was hugely rivalrous with my grandmother until the day she died. We are human. They are sisters. My daughters are forming this path for themselves while we speak.

Based on your picture, I'm having a really, really hard time believing that you are 30% body fat. How are you measuring? 'Cause I'm struggling here."

Thanks for the compliment. When I was evaluated on a periodic basis by the fitness/weight loss program at my workplace, they used this device that I would hold with my thumbs in a certain place. I started out around 37% and got down to 34% by late April early May. 30% is just a guess. I am wearing black which is slimming and a sports bra in the photo, so I'm a bit "strapped down" shall we say? When we talk sibling rivalry, I guess one thing my sister is jealous of is that I do have some cleavage - she jokes, "Boobs? What are those?" when I put on a dress.

I can't say I spend my whole life thinking about her; we're about 2 hours away from each other and she's great with my mom, who is 83.. However, she was the brighter and more successful one in the family (she got full scholarships to college because of her intelligence, she's a published author, etc.) so it's hard not to compare. When I'm just living my own life, these issues don't arise. She's not "*****y" or anything. I also start feeling insecure if things aren't going well for me; I'm teaching a course right now that's out of my field and it's not working, so all kinds of stuff is coming up for me.

No matter how "mature" we are, sometimes all this stuff still emerges.

Anyway today I had a good workout, some fresh yogurt, and fruit, and am enjoying the path this thread has taken with one of the other posters (you all know which one I mean), which is a great source of humor for many of us!