Don't be this person at the gym.

Options

Replies

• Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You must be of that "offended crowd"

Offended because two grown adults have a 2 hour conversation that appears one sided.

Offended because someone here suggests that maybe it isn't what you perceive.

Not sure what you are asking but maybe you should just sit back and listen to what others are saying, or simply get over it.

I don't think anyone here cares except you.

Sorry if that offends you.

QFT!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You're assuming an awful lot. :noway:
    Sorry inspector. I'm trying my best. :laugh:

:huh:
  • Ness7891
    Ness7891 Posts: 26
    Options

Offended because two grown adults have a 2 hour conversation that appears one sided.

Not sure what you are asking but maybe you should just sit back and listen to what others are saying, or simply get over it.

Offends me? I think you're assuming an awful lot.

If I was the only that cared then why did you respond? :happy:
  • sharonnj398
    sharonnj398 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Since when are people responsible to help resolve for other people's loneliness?

Everyone has problems. Doesn't mean you're automatically granted an audience because you feel like ****.

I sit at a pet store weekly to do cat adoptions for a rescue group.

We have groupies that are the same faces week after week. They're not there to adopt a cat or to buy supplies for their pets, if they currently have any.
  • Collier78
    Options

Probably because your thread title is "Don't be this person at the gym" So we all thought it would actually be about someone interfering with your workout. Instead it is you being concerned with a stranger's conversations. Plus it's a public forum, and most of us are killing some time. So our posts aren't about caring about your situation, ours are about telling you we don't understand why you care about two random strangers interactions.
  • Ness7891
    Options
    Maybe the guy who works there has been depressed lately and has been going through a hard time, so his mate was hanging out with him for a shift to try and keep him company?

They didn't seem like buddies. Their age gap was quite significant. And they don't look like they'd be spotted kickin it on the streets. It would be like Bill Clinton hanging out with Kanye West. I see the same clerk most nights. The other guy, I don't think I've ever seen him there ever.

It's nice to take the glass half-full approach. But if you were there, and had been going there for as long as I have, I think you'd have a better idea of what I was talking about. This may be difficult for you to accept, but some people are just windbags. Not trying to be mean, just stating the facts.

Why does it matter, and how is it any of your business? I might be missing something here, but I've worked years in customer service based positions and if the gentleman behind the counter wanted to end the conversation there are multiple ways to do it. All of them leaving the other person feeling satisfied with the conversation and like it was their idea to end it. I guess I don't understand why someone in their 20's is super concerned about the clerk at their gym, or convincing a random group of strangers that a middle aged man was a windbag and in some way being a jerk. I could see if the man had tried to strike up a conversation with YOU..DURING your workout and wouldn't give up, but the situation not only doesn't include you, but has nothing to do with you. Also, you are assuming an awful lot. Could be he is related to the clerk and there is something going on in the clerk's homelife. You just never know why one person chooses to talk to another for that kind of time.

Folks are entitled to infer from my statement what they will. I'm not convincing you or anyone else of anything. Simply stating what I observed. Never did I once say that what I saw was 100% what it appeared to be. The main point I was making was in the thread title. Don't be that person at the gym. Regardless if what I witnessed was happened as it seemed. Perhaps I should have clarified that for you. My mistake.
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to think that these people were pretty irritating, but then when I started my current job, one of the trainers offered some pretty solid advice. I work at a college with a fair bit of students, and because we're out in the open (I work Security), students will want to come and talk to us about anything really. They generally don't ask for personal or confidential information, and are really just there to talk.

The guy I talked with said that Security might be the only people they talk to all day. They may be a very long way from home with no friends, no family and no one to talk to, even if it's just to know that you're talking and someone is listening. Who's to say why the guy stopped and talked to the clerk for so long? But there are a lot of possibilities. I also think that if the clerk was truly interested in ending the conversation, he could have made up some work to do.
  • Collier78
    Options
    Since when are people responsible to help resolve for other people's loneliness?

Everyone has problems. Doesn't mean you're automatically granted an audience because you feel like ****.

I sit at a pet store weekly to do cat adoptions for a rescue group.

We have groupies that are the same faces week after week. They're not there to adopt a cat or to buy supplies for their pets, if they currently have any.

Yes, this would be annoying, and it personally affects you. That would suck!
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    we don't understand why you care about two random strangers interactions.

you act as if caring was something bad. maybe he just has a little more empathy and thinks about the people he shares his space with.
  • Collier78
    Options
    Maybe the guy who works there has been depressed lately and has been going through a hard time, so his mate was hanging out with him for a shift to try and keep him company?

They didn't seem like buddies. Their age gap was quite significant. And they don't look like they'd be spotted kickin it on the streets. It would be like Bill Clinton hanging out with Kanye West. I see the same clerk most nights. The other guy, I don't think I've ever seen him there ever.

It's nice to take the glass half-full approach. But if you were there, and had been going there for as long as I have, I think you'd have a better idea of what I was talking about. This may be difficult for you to accept, but some people are just windbags. Not trying to be mean, just stating the facts.

Why does it matter, and how is it any of your business? I might be missing something here, but I've worked years in customer service based positions and if the gentleman behind the counter wanted to end the conversation there are multiple ways to do it. All of them leaving the other person feeling satisfied with the conversation and like it was their idea to end it. I guess I don't understand why someone in their 20's is super concerned about the clerk at their gym, or convincing a random group of strangers that a middle aged man was a windbag and in some way being a jerk. I could see if the man had tried to strike up a conversation with YOU..DURING your workout and wouldn't give up, but the situation not only doesn't include you, but has nothing to do with you. Also, you are assuming an awful lot. Could be he is related to the clerk and there is something going on in the clerk's homelife. You just never know why one person chooses to talk to another for that kind of time.

Folks are entitled to infer from my statement what they will. I'm not convincing you or anyone else of anything. Simply stating what I observed. Never did I once say that what I saw was 100% what it appeared to be. The main point I was making was in the thread title. Don't be that person at the gym. Regardless if what I witnessed was happened as it seemed. Perhaps I should have clarified that for you. My mistake.

Right, but from the thread title it is infered that this person holding the conversation is somehow obnoxious for doing so, and if you don't have 100% of the story, then who are you to judge. That is all anyone is pointing out, you seem oblivious to that though.
  • Ness7891
    Options

Probably because your thread title is "Don't be this person at the gym" So we all thought it would actually be about someone interfering with your workout. Instead it is you being concerned with a stranger's conversations. Plus it's a public forum, and most of us are killing some time. So our posts aren't about caring about your situation, ours are about telling you we don't understand why you care about two random strangers interactions.
    So if it doesn't directly relate to me, then an idea can't be expressed? Wait, what? Like I said, I never mentioned once what I witnessed was 100% as it was perceived to be. The main point is not to be "that guy" at the gym. My initial post was a catalyst to a bigger idea. Not just caring about two people's conversations for the sake of caring about two people's conversations.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

TLDR

It was low hanging fruit, I know, couldn't help it :flowerforyou:
  • Ness7891
    Options

Right, but from the thread title it is infered that this person holding the conversation is somehow obnoxious for doing so, and if you don't have 100% of the story, then who are you to judge. That is all anyone is pointing out, you seem oblivious to that though.
    I recognize it perfectly. Folks like you are getting heated because I simply don't agree that it may not be what others think it was compared to my observations. Really, I'm not sure what you want to hear at this point.
  • Collier78
    Options
    we don't understand why you care about two random strangers interactions.

you act as if caring was something bad. maybe he just has a little more empathy and thinks about the people he shares his space with.

No not at all. I'm just not sure how the conversation of two grown adults is his concern unless he is directly involved. I can see saying "I felt bad for the clerk at my gym, it seemed like this guy was eating up all of his time" but instead he calls the man who struck up the conversation with the clerk a windbag for talking too long. There are multiple ways to extract yourself gently from a conversation if you don't want to be in it. I just think a lot of assumptions were made about a situation that doesn't concern him. However, I am making assumptions as well, maybe the middle aged guy is a windbag, or maybe it's an uncle or relative talking to him over his concern about another relative. You just never know, so I choose not to judge.
  • Ness7891
    Options

TLDR
    Cool story bro.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    OP - I get what your point is - don't be an annoying boor who chews people's ears off. :) I know people like that. Thinking about this thread got to to remember when I was a young cashier in a small market and my boss got mad because I would stand around after an order was completed and talk to the customers who hung around cause they had nothing better to do. I really didn't want to stand there talking to them, (but I didn't want to go do something else either, lol.) He blamed me for not ending the conversation and told me that he wasn't paying me to be someone's companion. Sigh...I just couldn't figure out how to get out of it...lol. I still have that happen to me on the phone when people call me at work to ask about one of our listings -the next thing I know i'm listening to their entire life story....
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hey. If you didn't like what I had to say, well you know where the door is. No one forced you to respond (yet you cared enough to anyway). It's an internet forum in a subsection with the words "chit-chat" in it.. Deal with it. Or get out. The choice is yours. But I'm sure you'll utilize common sense and make the right one.

Hey, if you don't like what we had to say, well you know where the door is. No one forced you to post in a public forum (yet you cared enough to anyway). It's an internet forum in a subsection with the words "chit-chat" in it, so people might respond and you might not like their answer. Deal with it. Or get out. The choice is yours. But I'm sure you'll utilize common sense and make the right one."
  • Ness7891
    Options
    OP - I get what your point is - don't be an annoying boor who chews people's ears off. :) I know people like that. Thinking about this thread got to to remember when I was a young cashier in a small market and my boss got mad because I would stand around after an order was completed and talk to the customers who hung around cause they had nothing better to do. I really didn't want to stand there talking to them, (but I didn't want to go do something else either, lol.) He blamed me for not ending the conversation and told me that he wasn't paying me to be someone's companion. Sigh...I just couldn't figure out how to get out of it...lol. I still have that happen to me on the phone when people call me at work to ask about one of our listings -the next thing I know i'm listening to their entire life story....

Sorry to hear that.
  • Collier78
    Options

So if it doesn't directly relate to me, then an idea can't be expressed? Wait, what? Like I said, I never mentioned once what I witnessed was 100% as it was perceived to be. The main point is not to be "that guy" at the gym. My initial post was a catalyst to a bigger idea. Not just caring about two people's conversations for the sake of caring about two people's conversations.

Not at all, it can absolutely be expressed, and I am just attempting to open up another point of view. I just not sure what "that guy" is. If you don't know the specifics of the conversation, or the situation then how is what he is doing annoying, or why does it annoy you? I guess for me I wouldn't see the situation you saw and think "That guy is an *kitten*" I might wonder what they spent so much time talking about. I guess I would only say "Don't be like this person" if it actually affected me, my workout, or was some violation of gym ettiquette. That's all..not trying to ruffle feathers or get anyone's panties in a bunch. :flowerforyou:
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options

that same thing happened to me when i was a bartender. people would just start talking to me and never stop and i didnt know how to get out of it cause i was stuck behind the bar. in the end my boss was pissed at me for standing around talking instead of working - as if i wanted that!! lol

some people just have a hard time getting away when they really really want to, out of politeness i guess.

edit: the point here is that for people observing it probably looked like i had a great time chatting away, while i was dying inside. thats probably why i feel for people who are getting their ears chewed off.