Petite girls around 5ft0 weight/size clothes?

Options
I'm only 5ft but at my heaviest was 13 stone (182lbs) uk size 14/16, which put me in the obese category, after 4 years of healthy eating and exercise I've managed to reach my goal weight of 7stone 6lbs (104lbs) UK size 6/8.

I always thought being 9st 7lbs ish, UK size 10/12 was normal/healthy size. however for me being that weight and size i was still in the overweight catagory and I did appear quite chubby.

It think when your short, even a little bit of weight clings to you differently as my taller friends can put weight on and not look bloated like I would!

What are other petite girls weight/size clothes and when did you feel confident about your size? Do you agree that shorter girls carry weight differently. And what is your goal weight, being around 5ft

X

Replies

• claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I weight 126 pounds but I work out a lot and I look quite fit and muscular. Also I'm married and 56 years old so don't feel I need to be a skinny minny. (I'm also well endowed and curvy) I wear a size 8 or 10 pants size US.
    Looking to lose about 4+ pounds but really working on eating more veggies, and decreasing my percentage of body fat.
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I should add too that I used to weigh 140 at my heaviest so I feel good about my current size, even though I want to lose a bit more.
  • sammharley1
    sammharley1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you. I'm little over 5ft and I notice if I even just gain a couple of pounds.
    I weight 120lb at the moment, just 14lb to go to hit my target weight.
    Heaviest weight was nearly 150lb and I felt absolutely horrible. I was very overweight for my sie. But I think it depends of the person too.
    Exercise, muscle weight, water weight etc.
  • loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am a uk size 12, a while ago I put on weight and should have been wearing size 14 clothes but I refused to buy new bigger clothes, so just wore baggy trackies till I lost a bit of weight. I am 4 ft 9.
    I would love to be a size 10. Size 8 would be great too but my hips are very wide (because of the bone not fat) and my boobs are 34DD so I don't think ill ever be a size 8. I don't expect to lose much from my boobs as they have always been a size D since I was 15.
    I agree that short girls carry their weight differently. It looks wrong if we are too wide for our height. Eg I look extremely fat but I'm only a uk size 12, but for my height I should be a uk size 8. We could wear the same size clothes as a 5ft 6 woman and yet they would look much slimmer than us. Its not fair. All i have ever wanted was long legs :'( XD and mine are so short.
    but anyway, as long as you are happy with how you look that is all that matters :)
    Feel free to add me fellow short people and uk/Ireland people XD
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm a whopping 4'11 1/2". (Yes, that 1/2 inch is important!) Thru my teen years, 20's, and even into my 30's, I maintained at around 102. After baby #4, I struggled to maintain 104-106. Then I had baby #5 and my body had a hard time bouncing back. I'm on a quest to get back close to 108. I used to think that 102 would be reasonable, but, honestly, I'm thinking that as long as I'm strong and fit, I don't need to be what I was when I was 14. I may be more fluffy than what I was back before I put on this weight, but I am so much stronger than back then, too. I've discovered I can lift heavy things, and I can run faster and longer than what I ever could. So, I guess what I'm saying is that 102 was a great weight for me when I was skinny and not so strong. But with a few more muscles, I'm going to up my goal weight a little to 108.

I think I should add that I've started tracking my body fat. I'm strongly considering changing my goal from a "goal weight" to a "goal body fat %." It just seems that my body has changed so much with pregnancies and turning 40, so by tracking bf%, I might get a more accurate representation of my progress toward my goal. Good luck!
  • DameRhetorica
    Options
    I'm just over 5 ft, and at age 18 I weighed 104 lbs. Now at 40-something I weigh 120-something, and I plan to lose at least 10.

At 130-something, which is the heaviest I've been, I feel heavy. That stands out to me more than how I look to myself or others.

Clothing-wise, size seems pretty random. Right now, I wear everything from 4-8, depending on who made it and when. Also, a lot seems to depend on whether I do yoga regularly. That more than anything else affects my actual shape plus the overall "shape" I'm in.
  • 2kellymike
    2kellymike Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" too. At my heaviest, I was 165 lbs, size 14/16 US. I never even weighed that much when I was pregnant! I was 102 lbs in high school. Now, my goal is 125, and I'm getting close! I'm just over 130 lbs now, and wearing US size 8 pants and size 12 or L tops, because I've got big boobs and no, they didn't shrink when the rest of me did! I went down 1 band size, but cups are the same.

Congrats to all of you on your progress and success!
  • Riverglow
    Riverglow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 as well and currently weigh around 116 lb. I wear a size 2/4 petite pants or a size 5 juniors. I'm definitely still carrying some extra weight, so I'm thinking about losing around 10 - 15 more pounds. I have no idea if I'll be able to find clothes that fit if I do so, though! Where does everyone else get clothes? I think that'll place me firmly in the juniors section. Even XS petite shirts are super baggy on me already.

When I was 155 lb, I wore a size 10/12. It was easier to find clothes then, but I feel a lot healthier now!
  • alison067
    alison067 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lost 10 kilos (think thats 22lb) now at 48.5 kilos, 106lb? Am now in size 8 uk but they are starting to fall off me :) I am 4"11 and a half.
  • kirsty99999999
    Options
    Thanks girls nice to know I'm not alone being so short!. Yeah I do stuggle to find clothes I have to shop in the kids section or petite range which I find more expensive than regular sizes, even though it's smaller?
    X
  • Samantha1278
    Samantha1278 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 and weigh about 100 pounds. I wear a size 3/4. The "stats" are ok, but I do think you can tell a difference when you are smaller. I don't I'm overweight or anything, but I find it is harder looking fit because of the small frame..I don't know. It is awesome knowing there are others around my height! =D
  • bonjourjackie
    bonjourjackie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly 5'0 and my lowest was 90 pounds, I think. I think it might be because I'm Asian that I managed to get to that level. However, I have been doing more intense workouts now so I've been bulking up. I'm not exactly sure how much I weight right now but it's way more than 90 and I have gained a size in jeans (0 to 1), but I'm perfectly happy right now because I know I'm eating right and exercising.

I have to agree on the weight gain for shorter people. It's because we're short so the weight gain will be obvious.
  • Arekha
    Arekha Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    5'1", lowest wt was 96 lbs, size 0 or 2 (OMG...), am at 126 after two kids and life...heading towards 40. I think I would look halfway decent at 115? Wear size 8, or 6, but feel clothes dont look that good. Hoping to get some wt off before my 40th bday
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    JUST under 5'0", but I round up.I'm 107-110 lbs, I don't weigh in anymore because I don't care what the scale says.

I'm a US size 1 or 0, depending on the brand. Size S in tops. Sometimes XS. I'm pretty comfortable with those stats now.
  • Seevan07
    Seevan07 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm also a hair under 5 ft but round up. I used to be between 90 and 100 lbs and a US size 2. My heaviest was 117. I am currently at about 108, but my goal is more about fitting into jeans and pants that I used to be able to wear. I've been at a 6 at most stores, but I'd like to be a comfortable 4 (ie. without them straining/digging at the belly). I recall trying on a pair of dress pants in 6 petite and 4 petite at Banana Republic, and the 4 fit well everywhere but the waist. I'd like to be able to wear those by winter. For tops, I'm anywhere from XS to medium depending on the brand, but usually a small.

It is hard being petite in that we gain a small amount but it SHOWS! At least to me, it does. Everyone else says that I'm skinny, but I know there have been changes.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    5' 1/4" lady, reporting in!

I started at 157lbs/71kg/11 stone (probably more, didn't weigh at my worst). At that point, I was about a size 14 (maybe 16, I may have repressed that memory, though).

Now, I'm 120lbs/54kg/8.6 stone (10-15lbs left!) and my size 4 pants (of the same brand and make of my size 14s) are getting too loose. I'm looking at fitting into size 2s - maybe size 0, but I may have hips too wide for that.

You're right in that weight is definitely more noticeable on shorter people - we don't have as much height to distribute it over! :laugh:
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit shorter at 4'9. I'm 35yo, got two kids and at last check weighed about 40kg (89pds?).

I'm very petite though, so this looks fine on me. I'm about a US2/AU6, but generally buy jeans etc in the girls section because of the length. Having very short legs is annoying lol

I'm eating at roughly maintenance and lifting heavy now, so I expect that weight to stay the same or go up slightly without effecting the way my clothes fit too much. But I only step on the scale once every month or two these days.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 weigh 204 and where a size 14us pants though I'm an extra large up top or a mens large depending.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread... I was once up to 165 lbs. Three years ago, got down to 104. I'm 5'0", 58 years old. Wear size 6 pants, small or medium tops. I find the brand names vary in clothes! 104 was really too low - my knees felt bony when sleeping and I was cold all the time! Nice to meet other "shorties" :) Melinda
  • Lisselinde
    Lisselinde Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1/2" and I weigh around 116lbs at the moment. I used to weigh 128lbs before I started. I feel most confident with my body when I weigh somewhere between 110 and 106. Then again, I'm weight training at the moment, so the 'extra' pounds I have on me now could well be mostly muscle. Without any muscle whatsoever, I'd say I feel sexiest when I break through the 110 wall. Otherwise, I usually go with whether I like what I see in the mirror :)