Trouble with protein

Options
Hello everyone,

Before I start, English ain't my mother tongue so sorry if there are any mistakes in my grammar and/or spelling.
Well, now that's out of the way... I seem to have a problem with consuming enough protein.

I eat mostly whole grains, veggies, fruit and eggs.

Which leaves me with an average of 20-30 grams of protein a day.... Which is pretty bad and might have resulted me to suffer from hairloss, tiredness and brittle nails.

I'm not a vegetarian, it's just that I've never been raised to eat a lot of meat and I don't really mind if if I don't have it on my plate for weeks. Also, I live on a (very) strict budget.. Which means 25-30 euros (30-40 dollars) a week for food.

I'd love to get some tips on adding more protein to my diet in a safe and healthy way, thanks already!

Replies

• Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    How's the price of fish where you live? I find fish has a lot of protein for the calories and budget.
    That is, if you like fish. :smile:

Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are pretty good for added protein, too. But again, you have to like them.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes fish and eggs are great for protein - also try to incorporate protein shakes - alot of 'punch' for low cals. The one I take is 100 cals per scoop and gives me lots of protein.

I have the same protein issue as you - I never seem to get as much protein as I'm supposed to. My issue is I have to stay away from milk, cheese, yogurt, etc... doesn't leave me much choices for protein other than actual 'meat'.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
  • MissFlawed
    MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    How's the price of fish where you live? I find fish has a lot of protein for the calories and budget.

Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are pretty good for added protein, too. But again, you have to like them.

Hah well, I like fish and I love cottage cheese and greek yoghurt! Fresh fish (or even frozen fish) is already too expensive for my budget. Well, at least for daily use. I could probably buy canned fish, if that's just as healthy? Greek yoghurt is expensive too, but I try to 4 portions every week... I'd probably have to up that to 7/7.

I always thought it was healthy to get only 2 servings of meat/fish a week.. Now I'm learning that I probably should eat it daily?

Thanks for the reply!
  • MissFlawed
    Options
    Yes fish and eggs are great for protein - also try to incorporate protein shakes - alot of 'punch' for low cals. The one I take is 100 cals per scoop and gives me lots of protein.

I have the same protein issue as you - I never seem to get as much protein as I'm supposed to. My issue is I have to stay away from milk, cheese, yogurt, etc... doesn't leave me much choices for protein other than actual 'meat'.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Protein shakes seem awesome but I don't know if I can afford them... I already spend my 30 dollars a week on veggies, fruit, eggs, yoghurt... I don't know what I could cut down to be able to add the protein shakes. Ah, sucks to be a student in college. :)
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I would be careful about sodium in canned fish. Not that sodium in and of itself is going to hurt you if you're staying hydrated, just something to be mindful of.

I like to make tuna salad with canned tuna and either have it with crackers or throw in pasta as my carb. My aunt puts hard boiled eggs in hers, so you could add protein that way. I would think a salad recipe with salmon would be good as well. Also, do you have access to other canned meat (I'm thinking chicken) where you are? I'm just not sure if it's an American thing or not.
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Protein powder seems expensive but it's really not, A 10 pound bag is about $90 and has about 19000 calories and 3700 grams of protein (brands will vary).
  • davidbernstein148
    Options
    I eat chicken. A lot of Chicken. It is 50% or better of my daily calorie count. I smoke it in batches twice a week, then eat about 18 ounces a day. Great choice for the caloric load. But I also eat the same thing every day for weeks at a time, and most people can't seem to handle that.
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This list is very helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

I do find it more expensive to get to my protein macro's every day but the main things I use are tinned tuna, protein shakes, eggs and cottage cheese. You can pick up some fairly cheap protein shakes from places like MyProtein
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I pay about $20 for a jug of protein powder - and it usually lasts me a month - although I don't have shakes every day - but it's a great ' go to' when I'm in a hurry or really need to up my protein that day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You can add beans and other legumes, and quinoa (although I don't know how expensive that is or if you can find it where you are). Dried, beans are very inexpensive, and while they take a little planning (you need to soak them overnight), they're super easy to cook. There is both canned fish and canned chicken (at least here in the US), but look out for the nutrition labels. It's not the tastiest thing in the world, but it's good for making chicken or tuna salad or the like (avocado or greek yogurt are good mix ins if they're in your budget). I have a ton of canned chicken, but it's always my hurricane backup food, so I don't know what the nutrition value is like. In a hurricane, I'd rather just eat what won't kill me as opposed to something a little healthier but spoils. :laugh:
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Hah well, I like fish and I love cottage cheese and greek yoghurt! Fresh fish (or even frozen fish) is already too expensive for my budget. Well, at least for daily use. I could probably buy canned fish, if that's just as healthy? Greek yoghurt is expensive too, but I try to 4 portions every week... I'd probably have to up that to 7/7.

I always thought it was healthy to get only 2 servings of meat/fish a week.. Now I'm learning that I probably should eat it daily?

Thanks for the reply!
    I usually have 2 servings a day of chicken :) Its $2 a pound where I live, love the taste, and can cook it dozens of different ways. Can even cook it in advance and freeze it for later. I have a hard time hitting my fat macros, so I eat a lot of full fat cottage cheese, peanut butter and fattier meats as well.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Beans, peanuts, chickpeas, tofu also have protein.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Beans are super cheap if you buy them dried and cook them yourself.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna is good source, and there is nothing wrong with eating it, health wise. I know in the states tilapia is pretty cheap, as well as tasty, good source of protein and easy to cook. Not sure about where you live.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, women need a minimum of about 50 grams of protein to be healthy. If you are burning a lot of calories, it should be more. Here are some of my frequent protein sources.

Canned tuna mixed with romaine lettuce, onions, and tomatoes with a bit of salad dressing is pretty inexpensive.

I eat canned sardines at least twice a week - $1 a can for 140 calories and 16 grams of protein. Plus, it has 25% of my daily calcium goal - something I have trouble reaching now that I don't eat cheese all day long!

I also eat a lot of kale & cannellini bean soup (cooked in chicken broth). That's about 12 grams of protein per serving, and really cheap. Rice & into beans, cooked with onion, green peppers and a bit of garlic is another great, cheap source of protein. About 16 grams of protein in a 2 cup serving. Chick peas (garbanzo beans) are excellent sources of protein. Green peas are good, too.

For veggies, leafy greens like spinach and swiss chard have the most. Broccoli is also a decent source. Veggies aren't huge sources of protein, but they can contribute.

Nuts & sunflower seeds - but they're high in calories, too. I love PB Fit - a peanut powder you mix with water to make a very low calorie, very high protein peanut butter. I can't remember how much it costs, but a jar makes a *lot* of peanut butter. I don't know if it's available where you live,, though.

Don't forget about skim milk, too. 8 grams of protein in 1 cup, plus a whopping 30% of daily calcium needs - all for a measly 80 calories. I don't use protein powders, but mixing some with skim milk seems like it would be an mega source of protein!

Oatmeal is cheap and high in protein, too. 10 grams in a cup.

I shop at Aldi pretty often, and here in the U.S. their prices are *very* reasonable compared to other grocery stores. WalMart and Target are good for low priced food, too.

Chicken, chicken, and more chicken! :bigsmile:
  • davidbernstein148
    Options
    Canned tuna is good source, and there is nothing wrong with eating it, health wise. I know in the states tilapia is pretty cheap, as well as tasty, good source of protein and easy to cook. Not sure about where you live.

That actually is not necessarily true, depending on where your tuna is sourced from. I'm on the West Coast of the USA, and thanks to China our tuna is all tainted with mercury due to coal pollution. My wife used to eat a can a day until her hair started falling out. Now she only eats a can a week max.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    On the cheap, I would just buy skim milk powder. It costs a couple of $ and makes 5L of milk which has about 160g of protein. Drink a litre per day to supplement your current intake and that should be close to adequate. (pending weight and activity levels)
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. are all good relatively cheap sources of protein. You can buy 5lb containers of natural protein powder for about $50, should last you at least a month or two. Mix a scoop with a glass of milk in the morning and there's 32g right off the bat with only 210 calories.
  • MissFlawed
    Options
    I love how helpful everyone is here! Thanks for the advice everyone. :happy:

Protein powders probably won't be an option. Though they aren't expensive, I simply can't add them to my food bill. I can't think of any way to cut back on my current food bill, so I'd have to add another 30 euros a month. Maybe if I planned really carefully ...

Could anyone perhaps show me a meal plan to get 100g of protein a day? (I think that would be enough?)

I had two eggs this morning.. 12g of protein down.. Yay? :laugh:
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't have a meal plan but my diary is open so feel free to have a nosey for ideas. I'm trying to get 100 - 140g a day depending on how much exercise I do.