Trouble with protein

Options
2»

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Didn't see where you were located, but near us in Michigan we shop at Meijer and they have a great program online called Mperks. You can clip coupons online, and you get rewards like $15 off your bill after spending so much per month, etc. I've saved quite a bit just using that program. I also cut coupons out of the Sunday paper and save about $10 per week that way as well. I hardly ever buy stuff that isn't on sale. It's still expensive now with two kids at home, but every little bit helps. Maybe wherever you shop they have a similar online rewards type program you could look into.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna is good source, and there is nothing wrong with eating it, health wise. I know in the states tilapia is pretty cheap, as well as tasty, good source of protein and easy to cook. Not sure about where you live.

That actually is not necessarily true, depending on where your tuna is sourced from. I'm on the West Coast of the USA, and thanks to China our tuna is all tainted with mercury due to coal pollution. My wife used to eat a can a day until her hair started falling out. Now she only eats a can a week max.

Her hair started falling out from eating tuna??
    I would also wonder if fallout from Fukishima has any effect on tuna ...
  • MissFlawed
    MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Once again, thanks for all the helpfull answers!

I picked up some red kidney beans and canned tuna at the store. Seems like I had 70+ grams of protein today, which is a huge improvement already. The chicken breasts were out of sale but as soon as I can get those, I should hit 100 gr. I wonder if that's enough to build some lean muscle on. I don't want to be a female bodybuilder but I'd love a rounder behind and a (very) slight six pack on my tummy. :tongue:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Once again, thanks for all the helpfull answers!

I picked up some red kidney beans and canned tuna at the store. Seems like I had 70+ grams of protein today, which is a huge improvement already. The chicken breasts were out of sale but as soon as I can get those, I should hit 100 gr. I wonder if that's enough to build some lean muscle on. I don't want to be a female bodybuilder but I'd love a rounder behind and a (very) slight six pack on my tummy. :tongue:

Building muscle is difficult for women, not impossible, but it takes specific eating and training to do so. You can certainly strengthen and reveal muscle by reducing the fat on your body.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    These are prices in my area in US dollars. I know there's things you'll like and not like. But sometimes you have to choke down things to reach your goals. Here's some of the "best buys" I have in a few different food groups for protein and overall grocery budget.

Item - Cost per g protein - Cost if it was all you ate for the week (1800 cal/day)
    Sunflower seeds - $0.06 - $24
    Flax seed - $0.03 - $16
    Prunes - $0.33 - $36
    Lentils - $0.013 - $21
    Dry navy beans - $0.015 - $12
    Vanilla almond milk - $0.31 - $44
    Whey protein - $0.006 - $13
    Mozzarella cheese - $0.03 - $30
    Whole egg - $0.04 - $41
    Frozen ground turkey - $0.02 - $22
    Frozen spinach - $0.06 - $96
    Onion - $0.12 - $42
    Sweet potato - $0.06 - $15
  • MissFlawed
    Options
    These are prices in my area in US dollars. I know there's things you'll like and not like. But sometimes you have to choke down things to reach your goals. Here's some of the "best buys" I have in a few different food groups for protein and overall grocery budget.

Item - Cost per g protein - Cost if it was all you ate for the week (1800 cal/day)
    Sunflower seeds - $0.06 - $24
    Flax seed - $0.03 - $16
    Prunes - $0.33 - $36
    Lentils - $0.013 - $21
    Dry navy beans - $0.015 - $12
    Vanilla almond milk - $0.31 - $44
    Whey protein - $0.006 - $13
    Mozzarella cheese - $0.03 - $30
    Whole egg - $0.04 - $41
    Frozen ground turkey - $0.02 - $22
    Frozen spinach - $0.06 - $96
    Onion - $0.12 - $42
    Sweet potato - $0.06 - $15

I actually like everything on your list, expect for prunes because I never had those before, hehe.

Seems like I really have to find some space in my budget to buy whey protein.
  • MissFlawed
    Options
    After some researching, a woman would need 1-1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight top build muscle. So I'm 123 pounds. I'd need 123 grams of protein. (I work out 5 days a week, weight training)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    After some researching, a woman would need 1-1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight top build muscle. So I'm 123 pounds. I'd need 123 grams of protein. (I work out 5 days a week, weight training)

I believe it is "per pound of Lean Body Mass", the weight of everything in your body that is not fat. Or, .8 grams per pound of body weight. So, 98 grams. But 123 grams wouldn't hurt you.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How's the price of fish where you live? I find fish has a lot of protein for the calories and budget.
    That is, if you like fish. :smile:

Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are pretty good for added protein, too. But again, you have to like them.

Hah well, I like fish and I love cottage cheese and greek yoghurt! Fresh fish (or even frozen fish) is already too expensive for my budget. Well, at least for daily use. I could probably buy canned fish, if that's just as healthy? Greek yoghurt is expensive too, but I try to 4 portions every week... I'd probably have to up that to 7/7.

I always thought it was healthy to get only 2 servings of meat/fish a week.. Now I'm learning that I probably should eat it daily?

Thanks for the reply!

you do not have to eat meat daily. that is generally a western idea - we have this image in our head that our plates should have meat/protein, veggies, starches at every meal. in other parts of the world, eating meat daily or at every meal is much less common - and much more expensive. sure, chicken is a great source of protein, but when you're on a strict budget, it might not fit for you.

black beans and brown rice have been a protein source for me for years. i have a crock pot and, once a week, i'd dump 6 cans of rinsed black beans in, a can of diced tomatoes, some onion, some spices, and let it cook for 6 or 7 hours. i'd then make a pot of brown rice and put it all in the fridge - each day, i'd put a bit of rice and a bit of beans into a container for lunch (i'd also add some hot sauce lol). beans and brown rice are easy to make and full of nutrients. and beans can be cheap - if you buy canned beans, be sure to rinse them well (lowers the sodium). if you use dried beans, good luck because i've never had luck cooking with dried beans. but they're even cheaper.

if you have access to a 'big box store' - costco, sam's club, bj's - you may be able to buy larger containers of cottage cheese or multipacks of yogurt at a good savings. or a store like big lots, or some dollar stores - they often carry brand name foods at discounts. another option is to always check the meat counters for 'manager's specials' - meats that are about to 'expire' and must be sold NOW. if it's a good price, pick them up and cook them as soon as you get home, then freeze what you need to. finally, some stores sell rotisserie chickens hot in store. if you go in the hour before closing, they often will mark those down. take it home, pick all the meat off the bones and use it to add to salads, beans and rice, whatever you want. bonus: you can use the carcass to make stock if you're into that sort of thing.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I actually like everything on your list, expect for prunes because I never had those before, hehe.

Seems like I really have to find some space in my budget to buy whey protein.

Bananas and dried apricots I think also have a gram or two of protein per serving, if those sound better. Fruit is never gonna be a great source of protein. But every gram helps!
  • MissFlawed
    Options
    Just a little update:

I actually had 92 grams of protein today, a personal record, without any protein powders/bars. That's a personal record, thanks guys! :bigsmile: