i fear i will be judged when i go back

2»

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I have to say, I don't care how big a person is, what they look like, or how much they can do at once, I would never make fun of someone working out in a gym. It would just never occur to me. In fact, I admire that they're making the effort to get in shape.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    I totally get it. I used a trainer a few years ago just a couple of times, and it seemed like some other trainers got used to seeing me. After a couple of years and getting a bit soft, I dreaded seeing my former trainer in particular, but really anyone. I received an email from a new trainer because I hadn't been the gym in awhile. ("Complete a survey for a free training session"--really just a way to re-engage inactive members.) I completed the survey, but I actually told her that I specifically didn't want the session because I preferred my anonymity--didn't want to be judged later on. She assured me there would be no judgment. I didn't really resume anything at that time.

Fast forward a bit. I joined MFP, lost some weight, resumed my gym routine. One of the trainers called me, "the incredibly shrinking woman." So I wasn't anonymous, but I was showing results. I've been working with an altogether different trainer for about six months and LOVE it. There's a little community of friends among his clients. So I am SO FAR from anonymous. But it's awesome because there is extra pressure and health/fitness has really become the priority in my life.

I know we shouldn't care about being judged, but it's hard to just turn off that feeling. Maybe try to look ahead when you're being judged for being so awesome!! (And if anything, even the people who will judge -and they will!!- can probably relate. They might feel bad that you've backtracked, but I think in most cases, people are supportive; so they'll probably be cheering you on in their heads.)
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    To be honest, no one will remember you.

No one cares about this stuff as much as you do. No one is keeping track but you. Just do what you have to do.