100 Calorie Snack ideas...

Options
Ok - the grocery store has all these nifty little packages of 100 calorie snack packs... only problem is they are almost $1.00 per snack. I am totally a cheapskate (my husband prefers the term thrifty), so I'm thinking "Hmmm, I could spend 6.00 for a box a 6 snacks OR for the same $6.00 I could grab like 12 candy bars at the checkout. The candy will taste better anyway!"

I need some snack ideas.... please send me ideas that are:
100 calories or less
inexpensive
are easy to tote to work
don't taste like cardboard (rice cakes) :laugh:

Replies

• Goingon30
    Goingon30 Posts: 4
    Options
    Ok - the grocery store has all these nifty little packages of 100 calorie snack packs... only problem is they are almost $1.00 per snack. I am totally a cheapskate (my husband prefers the term thrifty), so I'm thinking "Hmmm, I could spend 6.00 for a box a 6 snacks OR for the same $6.00 I could grab like 12 candy bars at the checkout. The candy will taste better anyway!"

I need some snack ideas.... please send me ideas that are:
    100 calories or less
    inexpensive
    are easy to tote to work
    don't taste like cardboard (rice cakes) :laugh:
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    - about 18 preztels
    -5 dark chocolate kisses
    -8 shrimp and 2 tbs cocktail sauce
    - Tbsp peanuts and 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
    - 1/3 of a plain bagel
    -1 c baby carrots and 2 Tbsp hummus
    -1 ½ c strawberries and 3 Tbsp Cool Whip fat free
    -2 Sargento Light String Cheese snacks
    - 3 c of air-popped popcorn
    -10 peanut m&m's
    -3 tomato slices with 1 1/2 Tbsp feta and 1 ½ tsp olive oil
    -2 egg whites with 1 slice whole wheat toast
    -1 medium banana
    -10 baked low-fat tortilla chips and 3 Tbsp salsa
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    for snacks i like veggies with some dip.... or yougart or cheese with reduced fat triscuits or wheat thins.. I also like the fruit bars by hidden valley they are good and always on sale.. i only get the 100 cal snacks for emergencys at work or school when i forget my lucnh or in the car for a long time.... JELLO sugar free fat free is always good... oh and since its summer.... FAT FREE SUGAR FREE popciles.. YUMMY... ...depending on where ur eatting them.. oh and POPCORN... always great.... hope this helps
  • Dropka
    Dropka Posts: 72
    Options
    you can buy a bag of snacks ie. pretzels and just make your own 100 snack packs (i'm thrify also, so that's what I do). Just look at the servings. Recently I bought banana chips, without looking at the nutrition ifo (they are bananas for goodness sake) and there were too many calories in them so I made my own snack packs--- 10 chips = 100 calories
  • HOOVEY17
    HOOVEY17 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    make your own fat free sugar free pudding or jell-o and put them in your own containers
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    a banana (80 cals) and 1 tbls honey (60)
    make sure skin on banana is brown
    slice banana down middle and half
    drizzle honey
    180 degree oven for abiut 20 minutes
    yummy and filling for essential sweetness filler
  • BUTTERFLI715
    BUTTERFLI715 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My first question to you is do you like sweet stuff or salty or what.........I love one serving of carrots with 2 Tbsp of Emeril's Vinaigrette.......I will leave it at that now....let me know what type of food you are into.......
  • Goingon30
    Options
    drizzle honey

Ok - here's another question. I've always heard that honey is really bad for you. Is that true?
  • Goingon30
    Options
    My first question to you is do you like sweet stuff or salty or what.........I love one serving of carrots with 2 Tbsp of Emeril's Vinaigrette.......I will leave it at that now....let me know what type of food you are into.......

I am totally a sweets person. Every once in a while I'll crave something salty (like a taco bell or chips) but mostly its sugar I crave.
    I love peanut butter....
  • Mags
    Options
    40g smoked salmon - 73 calories with lemon juice (few more) or maybe a slice of brown bread with cream cheese

check brand and calorie content but as a rule its very low in calories, tasty, full of Omega 3 and filling
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Healthier Me has a post with 50 ideas for snacks that are around 100 calories. It's a great list.
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    drizzle honey

Ok - here's another question. I've always heard that honey is really bad for you. Is that true?

Honey is actually very good for you.

This is a post by Beautifulbay.
    "Hi everyone -- I thought I'd share some info with you. My hubby raises honey bees (more or less a hobby) and sells some of our extra crop. We usually give out info about it as most people aren't familiar with the difference between store bought honey and raw honey.

We sell our honey raw - (unpastuerized) --- when it's been pastuerized, it's heated ...the heat kills off most of the beneficial qualities of honey, and therefore, all you really get out of it is a good sweet taste.

But raw honey ---is sweet, AND healthy.

Raw honey helps with these common problems :

Digestion problems
    works as a laxative indifferent who knew?
    fights against ulcers
    fights bladder problems
    Helps build your resistance to local allergies
    Fights respiratory problems (bronchitis, sinusitis, asthma etc)
    has anti-cancer properties
    has certain anti oxidants not found anywhere else
    put it on rashes, burns and minor wounds....great as an antibiotic!
    skin moiturizer ...mix it into a little baby oil and plain lotion...oooo ...nice!
    use as a soap
    mouth sores and other dental issues
    fights fungus ...just apply it to the spot

and more...

This is a small list...it goes on and on...I eat a spoonful every day, my yearly flu nevershows up anymore...and neither does bronchitis...and all that....I used to get it all the time. It's helping with my allergies...they are taking longer to go, but they have gotten better.
    It is fat free, not sure of the calorie count...and it NEVER SPOILS ..you can leave raw honey on your counter...open, and it will still be good after 10 years or more....the only thing that makes it bad is if you get saliva or something else in it....keep it clean.

I'd be happy to share more info for anyone interested. I'm not looking to make sales...just sharing the beneficial info. It is all true.
    You want to find it as locally as you can ...within up to 50 miles from your home, or else certain problems won't be effected (like allergies).
    Eat honey with a spoon
    put it in your coffee or tea
    use it instead of butter on toast or bagels
    put it in your BBQ sauce
    whatever ...just don't heat it or cook it...it will loose the good stuff!"
  • Mags
    Options
    Hi there

Honey is a more healthy sweet option than sugar. Its the equivalent to polo and mono in fat. Your body breakes is down in a similar fashion to brown sugar (white is very hard for your body to break down) and it doesn't necessarily cling to your arteries and body months after you have ingested it. Your organs can break it down into waste if you don't regularly over-eat.

Its also has a relatively mild effect on blood sugar levels unlike most carbohydrates/sugars.

Some also recommend it post work-out becaause of this as it will sustain your blood sugar levels though personally i prefer it with banana or something sweet - lol.

In short, its a healthy form of sugar, provides energy, a nice sweet taste and your body can break it down and excrete over time. Go for the organic kind if you can get it its better.

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Mags
    Options
    Galia Water Melons - coming to season and 100 calories in half a melon according to net

good for sugar cravings

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/115623.html

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter