NYC etiquette

Options

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Yes every single day #3, 49, 114, aughhh. Get out of my way! And that means let us out the elevator or subway car before attempting to get in & creating a shoving war.
  • Born_to_Nope
    Options
    Also known as, "How to not be a jerk in any big city".
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    These are PERFECT.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    What was the empty train car thing? Smell? Corpse? Not working?
  • Crimson_Fire
    Crimson_Fire Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    I've been to NYC several times and I enjoyed it, but...

sweethome_zpsed9c9d1a.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Also known as, "How to not be a jerk in any big city".

and it's pretty spot on- but yet CONSTANTLY someone is doing ONE of those things.

Seriously.
    DO not be a douche- this is NOT that hard. Why do people make it so complicated!!!!

But I also think brisk NYC walking should burn WAY more calories than regular walking- that should be a separate entry in MFP. I did 1.7 miles once b/c I'm lazy and cheap and refuse to take a taxi... trying to get there before BF's lunch ended so we could see each other- man I was hustling- that is WERK.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, and they included a cat in the bodega!

Also I don't care where you live, if you walk 4 abreast down the sidewalk I wish slow death on you and your 3 loser friends.

of COURSE!!! how do you think they keep the mouse/rat population under control inside said bodega.
    Loosies anyone? :blushing: :laugh:
    You can take the girl outta Queens, but.....
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

smell of piss or a random bum :laugh:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Ah I miss the city! #101 also applies to elevators...let me get the heck off before you try to get on.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options

It is either a broken Air Conditioner.... or a Bum's bed/bathroom.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Thanks!

My pet peeve are people who insist on using not only the outdoor but heard-over-thunderstorm voice so that when they stand in the other end of the tram/bus, I still hear the conversation. Nobody is interested in your work stuff or grocery list or how and why you are so damn late to your appointment.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've been to NYC several times and I enjoyed it, but...

sweethome_zpsed9c9d1a.jpg

I'm right next door. These Yankees couldn't handle our country *kitten*...lol
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    This is why NYC sucks!

It's a NorthEast thing, you wouldn't understand. Rebel! hahaha :flowerforyou:

fuggetaboutit :flowerforyou:
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    NYC Etiquette is an oxymoron

I agree. That city is a good example of everything wrong with big cities.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Pomme Frittes............ Why do I live in Texas??? Ugh!!

For the awesome Tex-Mex, fresh tortilla's, Shiner Bock beer, and to entertain the fire ants who own the state.

BTW
    If you just visit Texas, you are considered a "Yankee"
    If you now live in Texas, you are considered a "damned Yankee"
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I am a Floridian, born and raised in South Florida.
    My exposure to Northerners has been “less than pleasant” to say the least. I found them to be rude, arrogant, impatient, and needy.
    When my wife announced to me that we were going to take a trip to New York City, I was not happy in the least little bit. I was picturing the same *kitten* who want to fight me over a parking spot at the beach multiplied by 10,000 and every eating establishment to have the same volume level as an indoor KISS concert.
    The first stop was New Jersey right near the state line. We stayed in a hotel and I was exhausted. The next morning was breakfast and the tables were set up “community” style meaning there were like, 20 chairs per table.
    There was also a gaggle of French Canadians there.
    I found them to be VERY rude but, once you asserted yourself (no, you will not let your seven friends cut in front of me) they backed off rather quickly.
    I finally sat down with a guy who said he was a native of Jersey and, he was just a really nice fella.
    He had never been to Florida but wanted to take his kids to Disney. I gave him whatever pointers I could and he did likewise as far as safety in the city.
    Then we hit Brooklyn.
    First and foremost, it was BIG. I mean, Downtown Miami has some tall buildings but, nothing like this.
    I was also very impressed with the really wide sidewalks along the waterway and the amount of people I saw walking or jogging. I have a cousin who works in Times Square so she came and met us and took us to a place for lunch. Everyone was really polite and the food was good. In fact, every store I went into just to “look around” was filled with polite individuals. I mean, I really did go in expecting the worst and I was 100% wrong.
    I guess all the jerks made their way down to Florida.
  • raqueldaisy
    raqueldaisy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My exposure to Northerners has been “less than pleasant” to say the least. I found them to be rude, arrogant, impatient, and needy.
    When my wife announced to me that we were going to take a trip to New York City, I was not happy in the least little bit. I was picturing the same *kitten* who want to fight me over a parking spot at the beach multiplied by 10,000 and every eating establishment to have the same volume level as an indoor KISS concert.
    The first stop was New Jersey right near the state line. We stayed in a hotel and I was exhausted. The next morning was breakfast and the tables were set up “community” style meaning there were like, 20 chairs per table.
    I found them to be VERY rude but, once you asserted yourself (no, you will not let your seven friends cut in front of me) they backed off rather quickly.
    I finally sat down with a guy who said he was a native of Jersey and, he was just a really nice fella.
    He had never been to Florida but wanted to take his kids to Disney. I gave him whatever pointers I could and he did likewise as far as safety in the city.
    Then we hit Brooklyn.
    First and foremost, it was BIG. I mean, Downtown Miami has some tall buildings but, nothing like this.
    I was also very impressed with the really wide sidewalks along the waterway and the amount of people I saw walking or jogging. I have a cousin who works in Times Square so she came and met us and took us to a place for lunch. Everyone was really polite and the food was good. In fact, every store I went into just to “look around” was filled with polite individuals. I mean, I really did go in expecting the worst and I was 100% wrong.

This post makes me laugh... as "Northerner" who recently moved from NYC to Miami (originally from NJ though), I can tell you that I have an EXTREMELY difficult time relating to Floridians. They have no sense of urgency for anything, most of the women are materialistic, and they have no ambition or professional drive. They are complacent in all areas of their lives and settle too quickly. I guess that's the culture down here though, that's why so many people come here to retire! Finding someone who has that ambition and drive who was born in Miami is RARE. I've been here over a year and still have only found one person. All of the rest of my friends here are transplants from NJ or NYC. Trust me - we find it just as difficult to associate with Floridians... they are a rare breed! NYC or "Northern" culture is the way to go!
  • rachelliptic
    rachelliptic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    NYC Etiquette is an oxymoron

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it ain't there.

NYC is rich in layers of etiquette. The functioning of a place this big, dense and crazy NECESSARILY requires a cooperative effort. Everything would fall apart otherwise! There is a respectful way to walk down the street and a disrespectful way. Would you drive your car plumb in the center of a two-land road, preventing the flow of all traffic in either direction? Would you suddenly stop your car on a highway because your phone buzzed? I hope not! The same basic principles are at the core of NYC etiquette: you respect people's time, you respect their space---AND YOU DEPEND ON THEM TO DO THE SAME IN RETURN. In a city so dense, cooperation = survival. You can learn it, or you can leave! This pace is not for everyone. Many folks who visit NYC are simply accustomed to a different rhythm, and as a result, it might not occur to them that letting their family take up the width of 7th avenue is a major problem.

We know they're not doing it on purpose. What seems like simple common sense to NYers is not always obvious to outsiders. Believe me, MANY of us fantasize about such guidelines being spelled out explicitly. But then, I suppose, they wouldn't be "etiquette"

Also I don't care where you live, if you walk 4 abreast down the sidewalk I wish slow death on you and your 3 loser friends.

I like you.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Then we hit Brooklyn.

This post makes me laugh... as "Northerner" who recently moved from NYC to Miami (originally from NJ though), I can tell you that I have an EXTREMELY difficult time relating to Floridians. They have no sense of urgency for anything, most of the women are materialistic, and they have no ambition or professional drive. They are complacent in all areas of their lives and settle too quickly. I guess that's the culture down here though, that's why so many people come here to retire! Finding someone who has that ambition and drive who was born in Miami is RARE. I've been here over a year and still have only found one person. All of the rest of my friends here are transplants from NJ or NYC. Trust me - we find it just as difficult to associate with Floridians... they are a rare breed! NYC or "Northern" culture is the way to go!
    We absolutly do move slower down here. There is no doubt about that.
    And I think that is one of the reasons why there is so much resentment.
    The "typical" Northerner is very impatient. Like they are always in a hurry.
    Our Southern attitude is "If you are in that much of a hurry, budget your time a little better".
    You are right about the materilisim down here and for them, the "drive" is to marry into money.
    It is a difficult culture clash to say the least but, I do believe that the transplants that come down here somehow get into a hightened state of "northern" and the worst comes out in them because, seriously, New York City was NOTHING like the New Yorkers here in South Florida.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm going to NYC for the first time EVER next week, and have no idea what to expect! (well, besides everything I've watched on Law and Order: SVU)