CANT UNDERSTAND ABOUT WEIGHT LIFTING FOR WOMEN :(

Options
hello everyone, i'm new here :)
i've already posted a topic but no one replied to me so i think that i placed it in the wrong place :(

So i have been lifting weights for one week and i've decided to pay a personal trainer to correct my exercises forms.
he said to me that there is the risk that my legs (where is concentrated my body fat) will be more bigger because the muscles will be bigger but the fat will stays on.

Is that true ??

Will lifting ghisa make my legs bigger ??
if i increase my lean body how can fat stays on ??

Thank you very much for your reply :) i need motication and answers =)

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you add muscle but don't lose fat, yes those areas will be bigger. The idea is to lose the fat.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If you add muscle but don't lose fat, yes those areas will be bigger. The idea is to lose the fat.
    '

Or the idea is do both.
    I suggest just lift heavy in a calorie deficit till your legs are small enough.
  • lunanana50
    lunanana50 Posts: 32
    Options
    '

Or the idea is do both.

ok thank you :) and how can i reduce my body fat ?? through cardio exercise ??
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Or the idea is do both.
    this ^
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    '

Or the idea is do both.

Through a caloric deficit.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    '

Or the idea is do both.

Calorie deficit.
    cardio works. The best combination is cardio with a balance diet.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

eat less; add cardio later

Figure out your TDEE (look up a caclulator). Take your TDEE # and eat 500 cals less than that to lose 1 lbs per week. If it does't drop at that number, drop by another 100 unti you're losing a 1 lbs per week. Continue lifting. After a while you'll stall, then add in cardio to create an additional calorie deficit and you'll start losing again.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for just over a year. My pant size has gone from a 10 to a loose 4. That's proof enough for me that my legs are NOT bigger. My legs LOOK more muscular...and better in my opinion.

I've been eating a very small deficit and lifting progressively heavier. I don't know what your trainer is talking about.

Edited to add: I was doing cardio prior to lifting. I have kept the cardio, b/c for me...that's what I need to create the calorie deficit. I couldn't really cut back on food, b/c I like food and was already eating a pretty balanced diet.
  • lunanana50
    Options
    but if i eat less and i workout more...Won't i feel tired ? and Will i build muscle ?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I've been lifting for just over a year. My pant size has gone from a 10 to a loose 4. That's proof enough for me that my legs are NOT bigger. My legs LOOK more muscular...and better in my opinion.

I've been eating a very small deficit and lifting progressively heavier. I don't know what your trainer is talking about.

Trainers talk about the gym only. They do not talk about nutrition which is more important.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    but if i eat less and i workout more...Won't i feel tired ? and Will i build muscle ?

No you will not build muscle mass in your legs on a calorie deficit.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Yeah, you'll probably be tired, but that's expected if you are working harder. You don't have to eat a LOT less. I only cut back very minimally on calories, I just amped up the cardio to create a deficit. Eating enough protein will help all around with your feeling of well-being and to help repair muscles. I generally eat about 130grams on lifting days.

You're not going to build a huge amount of muscle. I've found that more than anything the fat around my muscles has reduced and revealed the muscle beneath.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    BTW...the general consensus of this thread was muscular legs on women are :love: :love:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1366430-muscular-legs-on-women
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Edited to add: I was doing cardio prior to lifting. I have kept the cardio, b/c for me...that's what I need to create the calorie deficit. I couldn't really cut back on food, b/c I like food and was already eating a pretty balanced diet.

This for me too...I went from a 14 to a 6...proof.

I wasn't doing "cardio" per say but was doing circut training and I have added in HIIT, fast walks, bike rides etc just for the health benefits.
  • rbailey614
    rbailey614 Posts: 28
    Options
    I too am just starting and been doing it for about a month now. I agree with the most of the responses and for me ive been doing lots of CARDIO. It helps with the burning of the fat so I rotate between tread, elliptical and bike atleast 5 times a week. I do a full body weight day three times a week. And I plan to keep that program in motion till I burn the fat off and see my muscles poke thru. Just give it sometime... by the way that was for you, me and whoever else wants it. :)
  • lunanana50
    Options
    I too am just starting and been doing it for about a month now. I agree with the most of the responses and for me ive been doing lots of CARDIO. It helps with the burning of the fat so I rotate between tread, elliptical and bike atleast 5 times a week. I do a full body weight day three times a week. And I plan to keep that program in motion till I burn the fat off and see my muscles poke thru. Just give it sometime... by the way that was for you, me and whoever else wants it. :)

so now Should i start a cardio program to burn fat and then begin weight lifting ?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

so now Should i start a cardio program to burn fat and then begin weight lifting ?

I suggest doing both.
  • lunanana50
    Options

I suggest doing both.
    ok, but i still dont understand what result i will have
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options

No. Keep doing what you're doing - give it around 8 weeks - and see what your body composition is like then. You'll have made strength gains and changed shape. You will have lost some fat - strength training doesn't get your heartrate as high but it revs up your metabolism, which stays high for hours after your session has finished, helping to burn calories for longer.

If after 8 weeks you don't think you've made enough progress, add in some cardio then - HIIT training preferably - but keep on with the lifting.

You have to give it some time. Results aren't instant.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Here's what you should do:
    1. Read this thread and all of the associated links. It's a whole lot of reading, I know, but it will give you a good base to get started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    2. Read ^that thread *again* to make sure you understand, and if you don't, come ask questions.
    3. Unless you have a medical condition, a calorie deficit will create weight loss. Weigh and measure everything you eat and drink. Focus on calorie deficit. Not cleanses, fad diets, supplements or anything else.
    4. Lift heavy weights for 2 reasons: First, it will help maintain more lean muscle as you lose weight that you would at a calorie deficit without lifting. Second, it's excellent for your strength--physically and mentally.
    5. Add cardio if you want, but don't feel that you have to spend hours on it every week. Cardio has plenty of health benefits and is a great tool for getting to your calorie deficit, but nothing more. It's not required that you do cardio to lose weight.

It seems complicated, but it's really not. It's all about changing your mindset. Calorie deficit and lift to minimize loss of lean mass. Cardio if you want (I use it when I want more calories :laugh:)

I'd wish you good luck, but if you follow what's said in the sexypants thread, you're not going to need it. :flowerforyou: