Pre-cooked meal ideas - Help I suck at cooking!

Options
cdahl383
cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
Starting to realize that I need to start pre-cooking some meals for myself if I want to start eating better at home. I really have no idea where to start or what to do though. I've had a few threads on here where people mention pre-cooking their meals in advance for a few days. What exactly do you guys/gals do and what has worked and not worked for you?

If I buy a few chicken breasts, do I cook those up, then put them in some tupperware containers in the fridge along with some rice and veggies or something? I totally suck at cooking, but would like to learn.

Thanks!

Replies

• jgoulet003
    jgoulet003 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I normally just cook a bunch of chicken breast, salmon, green beans, broccoli, sweet potato and asparagas on the weekend. store them in tupperware and then just prepare my dish that day. It's really simple and you'll feel accomplished :)
  • pinklark
    pinklark Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I make 3 bean and ground turkey crock pot chili every Sunday. It is a great go-to dinner during the week for me and my husband - easy to eat in between feeding the kids, bathing them and getting them to bed. And it's super filling!
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I normally just cook a bunch of chicken breast, salmon, green beans, broccoli, sweet potato and asparagas on the weekend. store them in tupperware and then just prepare my dish that day. It's really simple and you'll feel accomplished :)

That sounds simple enough that I think even I might be able to handle that! Haha! I'm just a total noob at cooking. Maybe this weekend I'll give something like that a shot. I'll get myself some new tupperware containers and some extra food when I go grocery shopping and see what I can do. If you hear about a house fire in the Detroit Metro area, then you know who's house it was haha!
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I make 3 bean and ground turkey crock pot chili every Sunday. It is a great go-to dinner during the week for me and my husband - easy to eat in between feeding the kids, bathing them and getting them to bed. And it's super filling!

Cool, thanks for the idea, sounds good!
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Pinklark, hey would you mind sharing that chili recipe? Please :flowerforyou:
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Starting to realize that I need to start pre-cooking some meals for myself if I want to start eating better at home. I really have no idea where to start or what to do though. I've had a few threads on here where people mention pre-cooking their meals in advance for a few days. What exactly do you guys/gals do and what has worked and not worked for you?

If I buy a few chicken breasts, do I cook those up, then put them in some tupperware containers in the fridge along with some rice and veggies or something? I totally suck at cooking, but would like to learn.

Thanks!

Honestly, this is pretty much what I do. I pre-cook chicken breasts, salmon, lentils, beans, beef etc., and also pre-cook whole grains like barley or farro, and then add veggies/salad/fruit/nuts to whatever is lurking in the fridge. I might mix it up by adding different oils or herbs to whatever I've cooked, and compile those in the recipe builder. I might also pre-make combinations of veggies/salads (I've got a great corn, pepper, olive oil, onion salad in the fridge right now).

It's a great way to get a big variety of foods to keep interested, without a huge amount of effort. It makes it easy to weigh out your portions and make sure the whole family eats the same thing or keep it seasonal (if that's important to you).
  • dispatcher939
    dispatcher939 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Crockpot meals are great, they are easy and usually makes enough to last a few days. You can also prep them on the weekend and freeze them until you are ready to throw them in the crockpot.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I'm aware of the internet and books thanks! Just wanted to get some ideas from folks on here which you did not provide. Sorry.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I LOATHE making up meals in advance. I mean, who knows what we're going to want to eat?
    You can roast a couple of chickens or buy a couple of rotisserie chickens, debone the meat and store it flat in a big ziploc. If you make sandwiches regularly, you can freeze the chicken in recloseable sandwich bags, lay flat to freeze.

Have the meat counter thickly slice a couple of roasts for you. (my FAV is cross-rib....awesome flavor!!) Roast it in a lasagne pan,covered tightly with aluminum foil. Just use basic seasoning so that you can make any kind of meal with the meat. Freeze as you would the chicken. I find that the beef keeps VERY well in the fridge for days if you roast the meat for about 3-3.5 hours, until the juices become caramelized (brown)...oven at 350, check the meat at 3 hours. It will be fall-apart tender and amazing flavor.

Make up a big pot of pintos....this is easy, just put the dried beans in a roomy pot, cover by a few inches in water, add in a few jalapenos, whole, and garlic cloves, whole and some salt. Bring to boil,reduce to a good simmer for about 3 hours or more, until those skins are TOTALLY tender.

Make up a big chopped salad....I like to use cabbage and some other veggies, chopped fine, and dress with lemon juice only. It will keep in the fridge for a long time. I LOVE salad for breakfast with cottage cheese and toast!

If you have those three things, then you can serve it all up with a baked potato, or make a sandwich, or use tortillas and fixings, or a salad, use special sauces or salsas, avocado, cheese, or other grocery items you purchase.......whatever your appetite and macros dictate!!
  • paulzli
    paulzli Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I see "I suck at cooking" all the time on the forums. I translate this as "I want to justify eating out a bunch." Seriously, you don't need to prepare a 5 star meal like you're cooking for some fancy restaurant. Even the biggest idiot can do the basics. I mean, if cavemen were able to figure out how to cook for themselves shouldn't a person with access to, among other things, Google, cookbooks, recipes on packages, etc etc.

Lol. Got nothing good to say, dont bother saying it at all. Typical lurker sitting on a high horse looking down at others with no real input to benefit others.

As for the OP, if you like Asian cooking, you can always make 1 pot of rice, a large stirfry of some sort or curry. Portion this up, and you can be set with a meal for a week.

I also love making a big batch of spaghetti sauce (2 weeks worth) and then cooking a large portion of noodles once a week, adding a bit of olive oil to keep them from sticking, and then portion it out for dinner and heat in the microwave.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I LOATHE making up meals in advance. I mean, who knows what we're going to want to eat?
    You can roast a couple of chickens or buy a couple of rotisserie chickens, debone the meat and store it flat in a big ziploc. If you make sandwiches regularly, you can freeze the chicken in recloseable sandwich bags, lay flat to freeze.

Have the meat counter thickly slice a couple of roasts for you. (my FAV is cross-rib....awesome flavor!!) Roast it in a lasagne pan,covered tightly with aluminum foil. Just use basic seasoning so that you can make any kind of meal with the meat. Freeze as you would the chicken. I find that the beef keeps VERY well in the fridge for days if you roast the meat for about 3-3.5 hours, until the juices become caramelized (brown)...oven at 350, check the meat at 3 hours. It will be fall-apart tender and amazing flavor.

Make up a big pot of pintos....this is easy, just put the dried beans in a roomy pot, cover by a few inches in water, add in a few jalapenos, whole, and garlic cloves, whole and some salt. Bring to boil,reduce to a good simmer for about 3 hours or more, until those skins are TOTALLY tender.

Make up a big chopped salad....I like to use cabbage and some other veggies, chopped fine, and dress with lemon juice only. It will keep in the fridge for a long time. I LOVE salad for breakfast with cottage cheese and toast!

If you have those three things, then you can serve it all up with a baked potato, or make a sandwich, or use tortillas and fixings, or a salad, use special sauces or salsas, avocado, cheese, or other grocery items you purchase.......whatever your appetite and macros dictate!!

Thanks! This is great!
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I see "I suck at cooking" all the time on the forums. I translate this as "I want to justify eating out a bunch." Seriously, you don't need to prepare a 5 star meal like you're cooking for some fancy restaurant. Even the biggest idiot can do the basics. I mean, if cavemen were able to figure out how to cook for themselves shouldn't a person with access to, among other things, Google, cookbooks, recipes on packages, etc etc.

Lol. Got nothing good to say, dont bother saying it at all. Typical lurker sitting on a high horse looking down at others with no real input to benefit others.

As for the OP, if you like Asian cooking, you can always make 1 pot of rice, a large stirfry of some sort or curry. Portion this up, and you can be set with a meal for a week.

I also love making a big batch of spaghetti sauce (2 weeks worth) and then cooking a large portion of noodles once a week, adding a bit of olive oil to keep them from sticking, and then portion it out for dinner and heat in the microwave.

Haha! Well I'm just asking for ideas here is all, pretty simple request.

Thanks for the ideas, sounds pretty good!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

Haha! Well I'm just asking for ideas here is all, pretty simple request.

Thanks for the ideas, sounds pretty good!
    Yes, Yes!! I forgot the batch of rice . I'm partial to white lol. My hubby likes brown:)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I find it's easiest for me to have the ingredients I need for a quick, healthy dinner on hand in the freezer or in cans. I try to stock up when things are on sale and I've thrown away too many fresh veggies and meat because I just didn't get to them in time. I hate wasting money!

For example, I've found that 4 minutes is the perfect amount of time to cook a frozen chicken breast in the microwave. I sprinkle it with granulated garlic and onion before cooking and I can then chop it up or shred it. Frozen vegetables are often better than fresh because they are frozen shortly after picking which conserves the nutrients better than fresh which take time to get to the store, then sit in the store until you buy it and then it sits in your fridge. I love the frozen veggie blends especially the stir fry ones. I can microwave a chicken breast then throw it into a skillet with the frozen veggies some spices or soy sauce and make a quick easy dinner with or without a side of rice or noodles.
  • cindagrif
    cindagrif Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Easy meal: Chicken breasts and a jar of salsa. Put in slow cooker for 6 hours. You can have meals for a few days. Either make with rice or noodles or whatever you want! I make it on weekends and have it for lunch or dinner for a few days.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    Great, thanks for all the ideas!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This one is my fav: 4 chicken breasts, 1 sliced onion, 2 bottles of Sticky Fingers Memphis Style BBQ Sauce (or your fav) in the crock pot on low for about three/four hours! Yum! I like to portion it out and add one can of whatever veggie I have. My favorite lately is Fiesta style corn (it has peppers). Don't forget you can use crock pot liners for easy clean up and faster prep time if your like me and only have one crock pot.
    For the days I don't pre-cook I just microwave one can of mixed veggies and top it off with a tuna packet, salmon packet, or canned chicken. All of these items can be stored in a desk or cabinet.
  • christullos
    Options
    I tried pre-cooking my meals but I found I would get tired of the food I cooked before I finished eating them so I was wasting food. Frozen chicken breasts (5oz) takes 15 minutes to fast thaw and 8 minutes to broil them, if you pound them to 1/2 inch thick. This way you can season the chicken breast different every day. Tilapia fillets take even less time from frozen to table.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My favorite is 3-4 frozen chicken breasts in a crockpot, cook on low for 4-5 hours, pull out and shred and drain some water, add taco sauce, buffalo sauce, etc. cook for another hour. portion out.