Pre-cooked meal ideas - Help I suck at cooking!

Options

Replies

• justaheadshotgirl1
    Options
    I know a lot of people say the frozen meals are unhealthy, but with new vegan and low sodium options out there, I have managed to add a few to my weekly diet and still not consume a whole bunch of extra sodium. I would suggest cooking fish, chicken, lamb any lean meat that you enjoy, and paring it with fresh veggies and a healthy starches like brown rice or something like beans or even lentils and red baked potatoes. Beans are easy to make if you have a crock pot. Add seasoning salt, onion and celery, and a bit of butter substitute, You can even add a lean smoked meat like turkey for an extra flavor. I think they key to eating healthy is to eat foods rich in flavor and well seasoned. Don't forget about, soups, salads and of course baked potatoes. Most people think of these things as lunch items, but to be honest, there easy to make and are just as enjoyable at the dinner table. Veggie and chicken burgers are a great non cook dinner, All you have to do it put them in the oven or microwave, and add buns and toppings! We have a make your own burger bar at my house some nights, and I always make chicken patty's garden burgers and regular veggie burgers, some times we even have enough left over to take with us for lunch or for dinner the next day! Don't be afraid to get creative either there are several websites dedicated to semi homemade meals as I like to call them!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Make a vegetable laden lasagna and freeze it, reheats from frozen very well. Goulash or a big pot of home made chicken noodle work well also in the freeze and eat sections.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    some very good ideas here...
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the great ideas everyone!
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I like cooking, but when it is hot and I only cook for myself and I try to lose weight, I keep it simple.
    I recently bought a rice cooker (cheap one).
    I cook some brown rice for about 10 minutes then I add the chicken or turkey patties and vegetables in the steam dish and cook for another 10 minutes or more. I flavor the meat with paprika and pepper and vegetables with oregano and sometimes I add yogurt or sour cream on top of the meat. It is very easy , low calorie, not much clean up and tastes good. Usually I buy frozen chicken breasts and turkey patties and huge bags of frozen vegetables. But I prefer fresh vegetables. I discovered that at the 99 cent stores they have Portabella mushrooms, asparagus, spinach and fresh salads all for a dollar. So you can eat healthy and cheap.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Soups, stews and chilis are the easiest to start with and get better with time. There are tons of free recipes on the web like Big Oven (not always the healthiest though - be careful), Eating Well, and Shop Rite (has a special healthy recipe section).
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Here are some easy and healthy ideas. Good for you for wanting to cook at home! :)

- Cover 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts with a mixture of 1 jar salsa, 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard. Bake in the oven at 400 for about 35 minutes. Serve over grains. So good! Double ingredients if you want leftovers.

- Throw 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or a pork center cut boneless roast) into a crockpot. Add 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook on low or high depending on how much time you have. Before serving, shred chicken or pork with a fork and add more BBQ sauce as needed. Serve in tortillas, over rice, over roasted veggies. This should leave some leftovers depending on the size of the chicken thighs or roast.

- Preheat oven to 450. Put two Tbsp. canola or olive oil in a large baking sheet (a cookie sheet would work or a large pizza tin - you may have to use 2 sheets depending on how large your sausages are). Add 8 chicken sausage links (sweet or hot Italian style is my preference), 1 pint cherry tomatoes (leave them whole), 2 red or yellow peppers, cut in large chunks, 1 large onion, sliced 1/2 in wide, and toss everything in the oil in the pan. Then bake for 30 minutes, stirring once while baking. So delish! You can use other veggies if you like - zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, green beans, eggplant. The veggies get caramelized and infused with the seasonings of the sausage. Serve by itself, or over rice, or if you are feeling indulgent, in a toasted sub roll.

To be honest, in the summer we usually just buy marinated meats at the butcher or fish and grill them and serve with two veggies....and sometimes a starch.

Hope this helps!
  • elaine22014
    Options
    Zesty Quinoa Salad

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 10 Minutes
    Ready In: 30 Minutes
    Servings: 6
    "Quinoa and black beans are tossed in a refreshing lime-cilantro vinaigrette for a quick and protein-packed lunch or side dish."

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 limes, juiced
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more
    to taste
    1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes or Roma tomatoes work too
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
    and rinsed
    5 green onions, finely chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
    2. Whisk olive oil, lime juice, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes together in a bowl.
    3. Combine quinoa, tomatoes, black beans, and green onions together in a bowl. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Stir in cilantro; season with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator.

I substituted the green onions for red and added 4 seeded jalopino peppers. I preferred this salad warm. Even topped with 1 tablespoon of cheese. Have fun!
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    lately i will cook up chicken breasts and use them throughout the week to top salads. in the morning i just throw lettuce, the chicken and really any other veggies in the fridge into a tupperware.

other things you can stretch -- stir fry or curries. ill make a huge batch of stir fry or green curry and eat that throughout the week. usually put it over rice.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I see "I suck at cooking" all the time on the forums. I translate this as "I want to justify eating out a bunch." Seriously, you don't need to prepare a 5 star meal like you're cooking for some fancy restaurant. Even the biggest idiot can do the basics. I mean, if cavemen were able to figure out how to cook for themselves shouldn't a person with access to, among other things, Google, cookbooks, recipes on packages, etc etc.

THIS!!!

Ummmm, NO, not this. There is never an excuse for rudeness/shaming when someone has asked a genuine question.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I LOATHE making up meals in advance. I mean, who knows what we're going to want to eat?
    You can roast a couple of chickens or buy a couple of rotisserie chickens, debone the meat and store it flat in a big ziploc. If you make sandwiches regularly, you can freeze the chicken in recloseable sandwich bags, lay flat to freeze.

Have the meat counter thickly slice a couple of roasts for you. (my FAV is cross-rib....awesome flavor!!) Roast it in a lasagne pan,covered tightly with aluminum foil. Just use basic seasoning so that you can make any kind of meal with the meat. Freeze as you would the chicken. I find that the beef keeps VERY well in the fridge for days if you roast the meat for about 3-3.5 hours, until the juices become caramelized (brown)...oven at 350, check the meat at 3 hours. It will be fall-apart tender and amazing flavor.

Make up a big pot of pintos....this is easy, just put the dried beans in a roomy pot, cover by a few inches in water, add in a few jalapenos, whole, and garlic cloves, whole and some salt. Bring to boil,reduce to a good simmer for about 3 hours or more, until those skins are TOTALLY tender.

Make up a big chopped salad....I like to use cabbage and some other veggies, chopped fine, and dress with lemon juice only. It will keep in the fridge for a long time. I LOVE salad for breakfast with cottage cheese and toast!

If you have those three things, then you can serve it all up with a baked potato, or make a sandwich, or use tortillas and fixings, or a salad, use special sauces or salsas, avocado, cheese, or other grocery items you purchase.......whatever your appetite and macros dictate!!

Good stuff--thanx!
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It's just me, and I'm a busy teacher.

breakfast
    egg sandwich (really good bread); sometimes with cheese
    or a protein shake with banana to keep my protein up

Lunches
    I like chopped salads, so in my containers I have:
    chopped cuc, chopped romaine, shredded cabbage, crumbled feta, and cherry tomatoes. Sometimes I'll add chopped jicama, radishes, celery, whatever. I buy dressing that is no more than 20 calories a TB, and use one or two, and add dill pickle juice, lemon or lime, balsamic, rice or red wine vinegar.

Sometimes I'll have pasta from Amy's or T. Joes--under 300 calories, and at least 10-20 grams of protein. I prefer 20. TJoes pastas cost less than 3.00 a package where I am, so it's handy dandy.

Dinner.
    I'll make a black bean chili, veggie soup, or some sort of casserole/crockpot dish on Sunday, and portion it out. Chicken breast and fresh vegetables from farm stand. Baked potato with cheese.

I have cans of lentil, black bean, split pea soups in my cupboard as backup. I can always add some rice, a small salad to make it filling.

The point is to be prepared! I have to keep snacks out of the house still, but some day I'll be able to resist...
    I cruise the aisles at grocery stores looking for ideas.
    I'm not a big cook either. I live alone, so really just cook and freeze on weekends...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I see "I suck at cooking" all the time on the forums. I translate this as "I want to justify eating out a bunch." Seriously, you don't need to prepare a 5 star meal like you're cooking for some fancy restaurant. Even the biggest idiot can do the basics. I mean, if cavemen were able to figure out how to cook for themselves shouldn't a person with access to, among other things, Google, cookbooks, recipes on packages, etc etc.

You know what they say about assumptions…

Speak for yourself. You can't speak for others.
  • danaperry43
    Options
    recipe plz
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If you really can't cook it's just a matter of learning techniques, then following recipes

The website food network in the kitchen has how to videos on almost all techniques you may need. Watch them and use the techniques for the food suggestions you have been given here. There are lots of good ideas!
    I also use the skinny taste website for ideas. There are some really good recipes, some of them are even on the MFP database.

We grill chicken on Sundays for the week. I buy family packs of chicken breasts and fillet them. Most end up being about 4 ounces. I put a small amount of olive oil on them and we grill them. It makes a bunch!
    We use these for sandwiches, salads, chopped on top of veggies or pasta, whatever.

Good luck to you. You can do it!
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I cook 3-4 pounds of chicken in various ways, then I vacuum seal each breast individually and put them in the freezer. You could do the same with pork or turkey. It doesn't take any time at all to defrost and cook. If you reheat it in the bag it seems to retain more moisture. Pasta, rice and beans are easy enough to make and store in the fridge. In the winter I'll make 2-3 gallons of soup and freeze small portions. The only leftovers I don't eat are fish, but that's a quick cook anyway. I always have a large variety of things to defrost and eat.
  • VenusKamal
    VenusKamal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't do much pre-cooking. Unless I make a big batch of spaghetti sauce with ground turkey, green peppers and onions which I can portion out during the week for meals, I don't pre-cook. It's just me I'm feeding, so I don't put a lot of forethought into what I'll have for dinner unfortunately.

I have found it good to have portion size meats and poultry separated out and stored in the freezer. I usually stick to salmon (which you can buy in individual portions rather cheaply), chicken breasts and boneless pork chops, thinnly sliced, and keep them stored in the freezer.

When it comes time to make something for dinner, I season with Adobo (garlic, onion black pepper Latin spice) and a Mrs. Dash type seasoning. If you're smart or have more forethought than me, you can marinate your defrosted meat in fridge at work, that way it is ready when you get home. The chops I put on a George Forman grill. They can be frozen, but I find it best to thaw them. For the chicken breaks and salmon, I've taken to using the ziplock microwave steam bags. Love those things! I stock up when they are on sale. You pop your seasoned fish or poultry into the bag and put the bag in the microwave. Not a lot of fuss. Things come out pretty tasty. I usually pair that with a frozen veggie blend that I can steam in the microwave as well. If I want to add something to fill me up more, then I'll add in some white or brown rice with a bit of Mrs Dash type of seasoning. Or I may add in a baked sweet potato with some brown sugar and some light I can't believe it's not butter spread. My grandmother gave me one of those microwaveable baked potato sacks you see on TV. Tried it out and it worked pretty well.

I do want to get more into the crockpot cooking, so I'm glad to have stumbled upon this thread :)
  • oregon_girl
    oregon_girl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love cooking, but find that when I do, I spend all afternoon on it and going WAY over my calories. Therefore, the only time I am successful at my calorie goal and lose weight is by planning and buying meals that require close to zero cooking. The ones that have consistently worked for me every time are the usual suspects: Turkey breast and swiss pre sliced on Triscuits, or rolled up over an apple slice or avocado, peanut butter on apple or banana slices, cottage cheese with canned peaches, bagged salad with a chicken breast from the deli and a squirt of balsamic glaze and olive oil, maybe some sliced almonds; pre-chopped veggies and hummus, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, microwaved potato with some canned turkey chili, chicken strips and veggies dipped in tzatziki sauce, etc...all of these require nothing more that opening a can or package and maybe stirring :) I eat a pretty high fat diet, since i can't stand not feeling full..I'd rather eat most of my food at breakfast and lunch and eat something very light at dinner, by which time I'm hardly feeling hungry anyway. For real cooking, I might do an omelet with broccoli and cheese, or onion and mushroom, or chicken and onion simmered in that awesome Herdez tomatillo sauce with a few corn tortillas...so easy. My "meals" don't look much like a real meal, more like a hodgepodge of hearty snacks, but it works for me every time! I love the other ideas every one else has shared too, some great stuff from everyone!
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I also use this awesome crock pot oatmeal recipe. It's good for a weeks worth for one person.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal#EmbedRecipe_105