Joint Facebook Account w/ Your SO?

Options

Replies

• siratlas
    siratlas Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    my partner and I have our individual email addresses etc but we did create a joint one so that we could send our friends updates or details about different events. We haven't used it much yet.

We don't have a joint fb account because we use social media for different things. I use mine mostly for networking and community organization etc. She uses hers to interact with a very small group of close friends through chat/status updates.

However, we do share a phone for texting when we're in the same space.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Looking through my list of "friends" on Facebook, a pretty big chunk of them are shared pages with their significant other or spouse. I personally just don't get it. Although my husband is my main PIC (partner in crime) we are definitely not the same person. We have different interests and while we obviously have friends in common, we definitely don't know or associate with the same people day to day. It may not always be the case, but when I see a joint account, it just screams "trust issues" and "insecurity" to me.

Thoughts? And if you share an account with your spouse, what's the reasoning behind it? Maybe someone can help me see it from a different perspective.

maybe its really just a means of distributing pics to friends and family and the otherwise have no use for FB
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Well what I've learned on MFP today is that unless your partner routinely checks your phone, Facebook account, and smells your junk when you get home, you're not really in a solid relationship.

Guess I'll just stay single. I have this weird thing where I kind of like being my own person.

Holla!
    I hate the joint account thing. Might as well stick a sign on your head that says "I have no identity of my own." The only scenario I could remotely see it being useful were if you were concerned your SO was trying to get some side action and was using fbook to do it, or you were jealous and wanted to keep tabs on your spouse's friends. And even those are bloody stupid reasons that would backfire anyway.

i don't see how having a joint account would preclude your SO for creating any number of alternative accounts on whatever website to accomplish whatever goal.

i'm sure that some joint accounts are created for the reason you mentioned but its pretty pointless to think that will solve that issue
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Facebook accounts are just like checking accounts. Each couple should have a joint account, and the man should control the password. My BF lets me post on facebook whenever he is there with me. If something comes up that I want to post while he is at work, I just write it down on the To-do list he leaves for me every morning, and we do it together when he gets home and finishes checking the list to make sure I finishsed everything.

FilionWaitWhat.gif
    +1 for this reaction lol.

I love Nathan Fillion
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's a thing certain conservative Christians do (I wouldn't know, as I'm neither conservative nor Christian, and my husband and I have separate FB accounts). It's either to protect the woman against impropriety (pervy PMs), or as a symbolic gesture, you know, the whole "a man cleaves unto his wife and they become one flesh" kind of thing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's a thing certain conservative Christians do (I wouldn't know, as I'm neither conservative nor Christian, and my husband and I have separate FB accounts). It's either to protect the woman against impropriety (pervy PMs), or as a symbolic gesture, you know, the whole "a man cleaves unto his wife and they become one flesh" kind of thing.
    Most of the folks I know with joint accounts are young married Christians (mostly Mormons, a few others). And they've started them when they get those cute engagement photos done. Good point.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I don't think it's "wrong" or necessarily bad at all, but to be honest my first assumption would be that somewhere along the line there was some serious trust breakdown and maybe even infidelity that led to a shared account.

Then again, I think the same way when someone has a vow renewal (especially if following just 5-10 years of marriage). Maybe that's the cynical side of me but I just don't assume good stuff FIRST in those cases.

I only have two facebook "couple" friends and honestly in both cases I kind of get it, the women are active on social media and their husbands aren't at all and it is a way they stay in touch with extended family and friends who aren't local to them.
  • bas3dg0d
    bas3dg0d Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't think its weird especially if the guy is like me and uses Facebook once a month lol
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Most of the folks I know with joint accounts are young married Christians (mostly Mormons, a few others). And they've started them when they get those cute engagement photos done. Good point.

Now it makes a little more sense. All of the couples I have seen doing this are conservative Christians (at least on facebook they are).
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Nah, I need my space, man.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

my parents are conservative christians they have their own separate accounts.

"protecting a woman" is just code for jealousy, control and manipulation.

I'm throwing a big fat BULLCHIT flag.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Now it makes a little more sense. All of the couples I have seen doing this are conservative Christians (at least on facebook they are).
    Perhaps THAT is why I snarked at the woman who suggested the folks who don't are perverts....I'm NOT a young conservative Christian. :wink:
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't want to get married anytime soon

This and potentially being called "hubby"

Brb going to throw up

Ugh I hate the term hubby. And prego.

I'd never have a joint Facebook account with my boyfriend. Its weird.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I don't think its weird especially if the guy is like me and uses Facebook once a month lol

this is pretty much my thinking
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    This is why I don't want to get married anytime soon

This and potentially being called "hubby"

Brb going to throw up

Ugh I hate the term hubby. And prego.

I'd never have a joint Facebook account with my boyfriend. Its weird.
    Hubby is kinda annoying, but not nearly as annoying as women who are DATING and call themselves "wifey". But then, they stilllll seem to call their boyfriend "boo" as well. hoark, hoark, hoark...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    So if one person doesn't use it much, the other one should share theirs? ummm, no.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    So if one person doesn't use it much, the other one should share theirs? ummm, no.

whats this should/shouldn't crap

i'm just saying i could see a woman creating a 'joint' account for whatever mysterious femine reasons just to promote her relationship with her bf/husband that is never on facebook
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

whats this should/shouldn't crap

i'm just saying i could see a woman creating a 'joint' account for whatever mysterious femine reasons just to promote her relationship with her bf/husband that is never on facebook
    I didn't reply to you...I was asking the other young man a question.