Which BMR formula do I use??

Options
2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Katch-Mcardle which gives me a BMR of 1695 or Harris-Benedict which gives me a BMR of 1872? Big difference. Trying to figure out what amount I should be eating... I am 31, 5'2 and 246 lbs. MFP calculated I should be eating 1200 cals a day to lose 2 lbs a week. Yes I've seen everyone saying 1200 is too low, then what should I be at? My activity amount is sedentary as of now, desk job. Start the gym next week. Thanks!!!!

MFP does not include exercise in it's calculation, you would eat 1200 calories plus more when you exercise. If you don't feel that is enough, set it for 1.5 pounds per week, or 1 pound per week.
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    All the BMR formulas are just estimates. The Katch McArdle is not as accurate for obese people because it does not take into account the energy to maintain fat stores. Mifflin St. Jeor is probably a better formula for you to use (this is the one that MFP uses).

Use a TDEE calculator instead, and then take a % cut off of that. A 20% deficit is considered moderate, but you could probably go 25% because you have quite a bit to lose.

Okay thank you :)
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    They are all estimates. Pick one ( I would start with the one that gives me more calories) and if it doesn't work (give it at least 3 weeks) lower your calories a bit or try increasing your activity.

Thanks!