NEED a GREAT BOOK, NOW!

Options
dwh77tx
dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
I'm an avid reader, and have tried about 20 samples on my kindle app and STILL can't find a book! I like authors like Jodi Picoult, Diane Chamberlain, Wally Lamb. I like memoirs, I even read a murder mystery called "the Butcher" last week which was excellent. I have read " The Help", which was probably the best book I have read in a long time. Please add your suggestions- I want a page turner. I'm not feeling well and need something to take my mind off things!

Replies

• jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    Tracy Kidder's Mountains Beyond Mountains. Bio of Dr. Paul Farmer. It will blow your mind.
  • emilybeatrice1
    emilybeatrice1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The maze runner
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Well... there was this 50 Shades of Grey thread. :P
  • Courtnee80
    Courtnee80 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You could try The Queen of the Tearling.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    The Kite Runner or Thousand Splendid Suns.
    I can't remember which one technically comes first, but they're two of the best books I've ever read (and I'm an avid reader as well). I've never had anyone I've recommended them to not like them and they're beautifully written books.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    The Evolutionary Psychology Behind Politics
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon

That's a good one.

Also, The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin

Lucy Knisley's graphic novel French Milk
  • victoria43068
    Options
    Also an avid reader here! Here are just a few awesome books: The time keeper by Mitch Albom. One Summer by David Baldacci. The Life and times of the thunderbolt kid by Bill Bryson ..trust me, all awesome books!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just started reading The Life of Pi, just because it was the only thing on my Kindle I hadn't read - it is gripping! Beautifully written and enthralling.
  • jole721
    jole721 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The Orphan Train or The Book Thief, I liked both of those.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Game of Thrones series (A Song of Ice and Fire)
  • trevor615
    trevor615 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Room by Emma Donoghue
    One of the most disturbing and (at the same time) one of the most uplifting books I have ever read. The style of writing is amazing. Once you start it, you will not be able to put it down. Once you finish it, it will stay with you in your thoughts for quite some time. Really a great read.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I see someone else has recommended Khaled Hosseini. I recently read "And the Mountains Echoed." But I've loved all his books.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Still not over the Song of Ice and Fire series. Never read books that fast before :bigsmile:
    Other than that: The Book Thief, The Alchemist, Let The Right One In, Batman: The Black Mirror, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.
  • fierythrill
    fierythrill Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I recommend Fault in Our Stars by John Green (don't let the movie scare you off haha), the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and State of Fear by Michael Crichton
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The Bronze Horseman - Paullina Simons! Best. Book. Ever.
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i seconds Game of thrones (A song of ice and Fire)
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Are you on www.goodreads.com? They have a great recommendation feature where I find most of my books.

One that stuck with me was The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta. Also, I just finished The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom...also good.
  • Ferrea
    Ferrea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Couple of page turners I've read recently:

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (Maria Semple)
    ^^ very funny, compulsively readable

Robopocalypse (Daniel H. Wilson)
    ^^ sci-fi thriller about robots taking over the world, very hard to put down