Is 1000 calories too little?

Options
13»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    yeah. That is too little. I eat about 1200-1300 a day. Any less, and I will feel sick

I think you need to take your own advice.

You are a 32 year old male - unless you are extremely short, you are eating far too little yourself.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    most guidelines, as well as reputable doctors, will recommend a MINIMUM of 1200 calories per day. if you're exercising a lot, you'll want to eat more than that. additionally, it seems like you're close to a healthy weight for your height; perhaps you should consider increasing your calorie intake and doing more muscle toning exercises? because that calorie intake seems way too low for you if you're exercising regularly.

additionally, if you're experiencing chest tightness or other symptoms like that, you'll want to see a doctor immediately.
  • Tal_Kyrte
    Tal_Kyrte Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Also note that the more you exercise, the more protein you require. The challenge is getting your protein from healthy sources, without all the accompanying fat and calories. On days of intense exercise, I've started using protein powders to make healthy smoothies to make up the deficit. Seems to work for me.

Actually, the body doesn't burn protein during exercise. It burns carbohydrates, and then fat. The only time protein is burned is during times of extreme starvation, and even then only after all the body fat has been consumed. The human body breaks apart the bonds in carbohydrates and fat to release ATP, an energy source. With proteins, if necessary, it will break them down into amino acids to form glucose (another carbohydrates) to feed itself. 97% of Americans (including vegetarians) consume too much protein, which can cause kidney failure and a whole hoist of other issues. I'd be very careful about eating protein supplements.

http://www.virtualmedstudent.com/links/healthy_living/understanding_how_the_body_burns_carbs_proteins_fats_simple.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/12/eating-too-much-protein_n_5481307.htm