Juicing or Ketogenic?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are. I have wanted to lose weight quickly and I have NO patience (in really any aspect of my life) so losing a 1lb a week gets frustrating sometimes. However, you want to know what is more frustrating? Losing 10lbs quickly...feeling over the moon and then gaining 15lbs back. It will be a cycle (I promise) if you do things like that.

Food is fuel for your body and you need to learn what is good for you to eat...how much of it you really need and you have to move more. We are not on this forum to bash you (well maybe some are) it is just that most of us know these quick fixes simply do not work. We know because we have been there. I still struggle a lot and I wish I could drop my last 25lbs quickly but I know if I am going to keep it off I have to stick with my routine and lose my 1-1.5/week (If I am lucky!!)
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you want to "jumpstart" or go "extreme" in your approach to losing weight but they ask about cheat days? That's so contradictory to me.

Why is it all or nothing? Why only those two? I do disagree with the person that said 1 to 2 lbs per week. They obviously don't understand that being very large you can lose 3-4, maybe 5 pounds a week by eating even 1800-2000 calories a day. You just have that much difference between a standard 2000 calorie diet and the calories you would eat to be in maintanence of your current weight. Will it slow? Absolutely. You can't keep up 5 pounds a week forever, probably not more than a few weeks before you will need to make adjustments in your expectations for weight loss.

I have done low carb (keto-ish) before and lost a lot of weight and felt great while doing it. Each week I would see loss which kept me motivated. The other thing is, it kept me FULL. Eating fat and moderate protein will do that to you. However....maybe you should just try lowER carb so you don't feel tempted to have a cheat day but keep yourself full with a diet that is higher in the fat ratio which moderate protein. Try using those keto/low carb concepts to overall cut calories...go bunless. Have a burger but no fries.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    Okay, maybe I should reiterate:

Either of these options is for a 1-2 month period (starting now) for an extreme push and jumpstart. Neither of these are things I plan on doing for the rest of my life. I know that neither is sustainable forever, I can't juice forever, I like food too much, and as much as I love meat and all, going carbless for life would just suck.

I'm trying to get a jumpstart here folks, not starve myself. I recognize that it's extreme and have no delusions about maintaining that kind of diet or amount of weight loss indefinitely, I just need something to get me over the hump. Over half the time the reason I give up on various diets (including just calorie counting and doing it "the normal way," which I've tried more than once, and had less success with than the "extreme" options I'm being told are untenable) is because I didn't see enough results fast enough, and it became easy to convince myself nothing was going to change, so why not eat whatever? I just want to power through a month or two of really strong weight loss, then keep going in a more traditional way based off that initial inertia.

Does that really sounds so crazy?

Doesn't sound crazy but with that weight loss you will not have LEARNED new patterns of behavior that you are going to CONTINUE. Part of the battle for me is I learned how to hit the right calorie/ macros goal everyday eating nutritious foods I can prepare, afford, and enjoy. It's really a learning curve.

Getting quick weight loss won't teach you... i guess it could motivate you. But I think in weight loss you don't need motivation, you need decision. Motivation isn't reliable enough. I personally found cleanses led to depression and binges. Just learning to eat my calories/ macro goal (through pre-logging, practice, practice, practice) led to me not needing as much motivation because it's not so hard. And it's just what I've decided to do. And it's working.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Okay, maybe I should reiterate:

Either of these options is for a 1-2 month period (starting now) for an extreme push and jumpstart. Neither of these are things I plan on doing for the rest of my life. I know that neither is sustainable forever, I can't juice forever, I like food too much, and as much as I love meat and all, going carbless for life would just suck.

I'm trying to get a jumpstart here folks, not starve myself. I recognize that it's extreme and have no delusions about maintaining that kind of diet or amount of weight loss indefinitely, I just need something to get me over the hump. Over half the time the reason I give up on various diets (including just calorie counting and doing it "the normal way," which I've tried more than once, and had less success with than the "extreme" options I'm being told are untenable) is because I didn't see enough results fast enough, and it became easy to convince myself nothing was going to change, so why not eat whatever? I just want to power through a month or two of really strong weight loss, then keep going in a more traditional way based off that initial inertia.

Does that really sounds so crazy?

Doesn't sound crazy but with that weight loss you will not have LEARNED new patterns of behavior that you are going to CONTINUE. Part of the battle for me is I learned how to hit the right calorie/ macros goal everyday eating nutritious foods I can prepare, afford, and enjoy. It's really a learning curve.

Getting quick weight loss won't teach you... i guess it could motivate you. But I think in weight loss you don't need motivation, you need decision. Motivation isn't reliable enough. I personally found cleanses led to depression and binges. Just learning to eat my calories/ macro goal (through pre-logging, practice, practice, practice) led to me not needing as much motivation because it's not so hard. And it's just what I've decided to do. And it's working.

This.

Here is the thing, OP. Your body acts completely separate of your desires. And just like any person, you really can't get what you want from your body if your body does not have what it needs. If you are putting your body under stress with these diets, then you are upping your cortisol. Cortisol is a hormone and defense mechanism for the body. Your body will not cooperate with weight loss. If you have already failed at these dieting methods, then they were to stressful for your body. Even doing them temporarily will cause a cortisol release, and when you finally realize that your methods will have to be more sustainable, then you will have already set yourself back due to an abundance of cortisol already in your system.

You have a lot of weight to lose. You will NOT be able to lose it as quickly as you want to. Ask anyone here. Everyone comes here wanting instant results, and EVERYBODY has either had to accept the reality that patience is required or they have completely given up.

We are simply trying to help you find a sustainable approach so that you are less likely to be one of those that completely gives up.
  • Delquin
    Delquin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the ketogenic dieting, but as far as juicing goes, my husband and I have tried it.

You have to remember - juicing is NOT a diet. It's a CLEANSE. It is meant to clean out your system of all the junk during a certain time period, after which you start eating healthy. Weight loss is truly just a side effect of juicing. It is not the GOAL of juicing.

We first juiced about a year ago. We decided to go for 15 days. The first few days we were extremely angry with each other. (Starvation kind of makes you pissed off.) By the end of the period, I just didn't care any more. I didn't even want to drink juice. My body just told me not to care about eating. Those last few days I would have a juice in the morning and afternoon, but then have a salad for dinner along with juice just to chew something.

My husband probably dropped 20 pounds. But losing weight has always been simple for him.

He is currently going through a juice fast now which has gone on for a couple of weeks, at least, He has dropped about 24 pounds. I know it is not something I can do again. I'm happy to make and drink some juice occasionally. But I like to eat. The 12ish days I've been here on MFP, I've lost a little over 4 pounds. No juicing. Just reducing my calorie intake. That works. And I'm not even exercising. (That's an issue I deal with.)

If you choose to juice, juice as a cleanse, not a diet. After you are done juicing, you MUST make good choices. If you eat a bunch of pizza all of the time, juice fast for two weeks and drop 20 pounds, and then start eating pizza again, all that effort from juicing will mean nothing. The pounds come right back on.

Use it as a stepping stone to better eating.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I don't get how juicing works as a stepping stone to better eating. Why not just start better eating?

I don't get how juicing works as a cleanse either.