Nothing works!

Options

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    You're not weighing all of your food. You only weigh your fish.

Yes, you are eating more than you think.

Doesn't matter what size plates or bowls you use. Measuring cups are inaccurate.

Ok. Got it ;)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Yea? So my 1/2 cup of rice with veggies and 3oz of tofu isn't true?

I use small plates and bowls. lol.

It would be hard to overeat unless I piled the food on.
    How much does this weigh in grams or ounces?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

This was linked above, but yes. The difference between using a food scale and using measuring cups can be several hundred calories, depending.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

And also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

At the very least, it's a quick thing to double-check since you already own a food scale.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Well if there is no medical issues you are overeating if you are not losing weight
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    if you're not weighing your food, you're not eating what you think you are.

look, I get it, you're not losing and your frustrated.. and you're coming here looking for answers.

I'm sorry you apparently don't like my answer, but if you're not weighing everything you're eating... and you're not losing... what do you possibly stand to lose if you try weighing your food for a few weeks and logging THAT.. instead of cups.

It doesn't matter what plate size you have, that's nonsense. Your plates can hold 200g of celery, or 200g of tuna... but the calorie amounts are going to vary greatly.

if you aren't losing, you aren't at a deficit. it's on you to figure out why. Right now, you think you have it figured out, but you're not losing.
    you aren't accurately logging, so there's part of your problem.

Now, we're giving you tips on how you can do that.. and you're refusing to accept that you might be wrong.

good luck.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    I started this in 2011. I lost a lot of weight. Then I had some female complications which ended in surgery.

I gained some weight back, but nothing crazy. Now I'm just stuck here. In that time, I've logged almost every day. Now, I've been religious about logging for about 3 months and no change in weight. I measure what I eat.

I understand what is meant by eating clean. That's our goal in this home.

I will be going back to the gym soon but even that doesn't help. Seems I lose weight faster when I don't work out. Weird, but true.

You're factoring in the water weight gains that you can expect to see with a new exercise routine and giving any changes to your routine 3-4 weeks for your body to adjust before deciding whether or not it's working, right?

Yes.

Great! You have to understand that we see a lot of posts here from people who try 14 different plans over the course of a month and wonder why none of them worked. You tend to err on the side of double-checking the obvious after a while.

Yea. It hasn't been over a month. lol. I'm not that person.

It's been over 5 months so I was just curious as to what I was doing wrong or what others do to lose weight. I'm sure my 1/2 cup measuring cup isn't that inaccurate. I need to lose 30 pounds so I'll figure that out somehow.

But thank you for your advice :)
  • That_Girl
    Options

look, I get it, you're not losing and your frustrated.. and you're coming here looking for answers.

I'm sorry you apparently don't like my answer, but if you're not weighing everything you're eating... and you're not losing... what do you possibly stand to lose if you try weighing your food for a few weeks and logging THAT.. instead of cups.

It doesn't matter what plate size you have, that's nonsense. Your plates can hold 200g of celery, or 200g of tuna... but the calorie amounts are going to vary greatly.

if you aren't losing, you aren't at a deficit. it's on you to figure out why. Right now, you think you have it figured out, but you're not losing.

Now, we're giving you tips on how you can do that.. and you're refusing to accept that you might be wrong.

good luck.

I lost about 50 pounds doing what I'm doing about 3 years ago. I gained back 30 over the time and health issues.

Why would it work then and not now? It is not that I have never done this...it's just not working now.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I started this in 2011. I lost a lot of weight. Then I had some female complications which ended in surgery.

I gained some weight back, but nothing crazy. Now I'm just stuck here. In that time, I've logged almost every day. Now, I've been religious about logging for about 3 months and no change in weight. I measure what I eat.

I will be going back to the gym soon but even that doesn't help. Seems I lose weight faster when I don't work out. Weird, but true.

You're factoring in the water weight gains that you can expect to see with a new exercise routine and giving any changes to your routine 3-4 weeks for your body to adjust before deciding whether or not it's working, right?

Yes.

Great! You have to understand that we see a lot of posts here from people who try 14 different plans over the course of a month and wonder why none of them worked. You tend to err on the side of double-checking the obvious after a while.

It's been over 5 months so I was just curious as to what I was doing wrong or what others do to lose weight. I'm sure my 1/2 cup measuring cup isn't that inaccurate. I need to lose 30 pounds so I'll figure that out somehow.

You have gone 5 months?? Well better late then never to ask for help.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

good luck.

I lost about 50 pounds doing what I'm doing about 3 years ago. I gained back 30 over the time and health issues.

Why would it work then and not now? It is not that I have never done this...it's just not working now.

If it's not working now that means you need re-evaluate your situation. Try not to be so defensive, we're trying to help you. If you want a pity party you're in the wrong place.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

good luck.

Again...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

You're not in a deficit.
    You know you're not in a deficit.
    Maybe it worked once, but if it's not now, then it's time to try to do something else, like weighing everything you eat.
  • trogalicious
    Options

good luck.

Your body changed in those 3 years, now didn't it?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I will say that measuring cups versus the scale can have a huge impact on logging, esp. with cooked foods and diced foods. Because what is diced? I mean, I may dice celery completely different than the next person, so it's too subjective to measure with cups and spoons. I highly recommend a food scale for spot on accuracy. Oh, also check other sites for calories because MFP has sooo many user entered items that are just plain inaccurate.

You also said you had surgery for female problems. If your doctor only checked your thyroid function, you need to go back and demand they check your sex hormones. All of them! Free estradiol, free testosterone, SHBG (this is huge and is usually in the formula/test for Free Estradiol/Free Testosterone), FSH, etc. It may have to be done more than once, esp. if you don't have a menstrual cycle anymore.

Oh, and get your fasting blood glucose and HgA1C done as well.

If you'd like to PM to speak about this more, I'd be glad to tell you what I found after my surgery for female issues.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Yes.

I don't think that your measuring cups are inaccurate, however when you look at the serving size on a box of rice, for example and it says 1/2 cup and then also give the grams or ounces, the weight may be less than a 1/2 cup, so you could be overeating when a serving size could be 59g or 1/2 cup, and 59g doesn't fill a 1/2 cup. i think that is the point. I used to measure, but I started weighing instead and it does make a difference.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Not sure how old you are, but if you're nearing menopause, your metabolism may have changed. Mine certainly did. I cannot eat now what I could eat even 3 years ago without gaining.

I've had to adjust significantly. I need to exercise more (quite a lot more) and eat less to not gain.

You might consider that. Good luck to you. This middle-aged-menopausal-woman thing can be a bear.

(Also, not to harp on the food scale thing, but when I got mine, I was amazed at how far off my measurements had been. I ordered mine off Amazon -- cheap and easy!)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I will say that measuring cups versus the scale can have a huge impact on logging, esp. with cooked foods and diced foods. Because what is diced? I mean, I may dice celery completely different than the next person, so it's too subjective to measure with cups and spoons. I highly recommend a food scale for spot on accuracy. Oh, also check other sites for calories because MFP has sooo many user entered items that are just plain inaccurate.

You also said you had surgery for female problems. If your doctor only checked your thyroid function, you need to go back and demand they check your sex hormones. All of them! Free estradiol, free testosterone, SHBG (this is huge and is usually in the formula/test for Free Estradiol/Free Testosterone), FSH, etc. It may have to be done more than once, esp. if you don't have a menstrual cycle anymore.

Oh, and get your fasting blood glucose and HgA1C done as well.

If you'd like to PM to speak about this more, I'd be glad to tell you what I found after my surgery for female issues.

^^^ this is really good advice

It's possible that there is a medical issue going on, but you need to rule out the inaccurate logging thing first, and cup measurements can be inaccurate even if you do them carefully. Weighing food is more accurate.

And I second the advice about user entered calorie data, the ones in the list that don't have a * in front of them are MFP data, the ones with * are user entered data. I try to use the non user entered one or enter the data myself in the "my foods" section. Some entries in the database are ridiculously inaccurate.

If you've ruled out all possible sources of error, then you could well be looking at a medical issue, and you'll have the info to present to your doctor.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Nevermind. lol. Everyone is an expert around here. I'll figure it out.

So you get upset because people told you you were eating more than you thought? Really?

What is it that you wanted to hear?

tumblr_inline_ml3xlr498j1qz4rgp.gif
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Well theres the traditional response:

How much are you eating? Are you weighing everything with a food scale? Do you log every single thing you eat? How long have you been doing this?
    it's "traditional" because it's right.

I second that motion.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Hey, classy way to edit the OP there. I guess we can all pack up now.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    giphy.gif

remember, it was you that asked the questions.
    remember, you got perfectly applicable answers that you just didn't like.

...doesn't make them wrong.

so if the answers aren't wrong, that means you might be. Time to accept that.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    ...^^^That guys lost a lot of weight...he might know a little something about something.

Good luck. :flowerforyou: