What time do you work out?

Options
Ok, so I fell off my routine about 2 and a half months ago. I am miserable. I am sure I put all the 6lbs I lost back on (to scared to get on the scale) and I am letting all the bad in my life get to me. I have slacked on eating and exercising. Before I was getting up at about 5am and in front of the TV with the video on by 5:10am. But now I just hit snooze a few times and then turn off the alarm and go back to sleep. I have been upsetting my fiance since I do this EVERY morning. So what time do y'all get up and workout? And what is your motivation to get up if you are not a morning person like me besides the obvious reason to look amazing. :wink:

Replies

• laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a morning work out person. I'd lack the motivation later in the day. I wouldn't say i look forward to working out, but i look forward to the feeling after i've done it.

I hope you get your motivation back!
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If I don't workout in the morning I usually won't workout at all. I prefer getting in, working hard, getting done, getting on with my day.

You have to make exercising a habit, like brushing your teeth or getting a shower. You will never, ever regret a work out, no matter how much you don't want to do it. Don't think about it, just do it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    1 hour at lunch time, 2 hours after work. Usually early mornings on weekends.
  • ohaston
    ohaston Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am totally NOT a morning person. I have gone to the gym ONCE in the morning but that was a couple of years ago.
    I work out every afternoon and yes its a little harder to get motivated especially for me, I work 10.5 hrs a day BUT I guess im just determined and when Im not, my kids OR MFP keep me going!
    And since my goal is to work out 5 times a week, I carefully choose the days when I am MOST tired and I cash in on my (2) off days. Boy I hate when I can them in too early, so the thought of being forced to workout on a Friday (the end of my usually loonnngggg work week) I try not to miss a day Sun - Thurs. But sometimes I do and then I just have to workout Friday or Saturday ... No biggie, I just do what I have to do!
    Good luck to you ... And GET on the scale, The longer you wait the longer its going to Take .. Just do it !!! Start today.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes I too would feel amazing after. I also prefer the mornings. I used to do evening workouts when I had time and prefer mornings to get it out of the way.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses so far! :flowerforyou:
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5am every day. There are definitely mornings I don't want to get up but I drag my butt out of bed anyway. Also, I sleep in my workout clothes most nights. Then I roll out of bed and get straight to it. It's just part of my routine now.
    I'm even considering waking up at 4:30 so I can do a slightly longer workout.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of workout I do.

My running I am doing in the morning, as I find it's to hot in the evening to go. It's such a wonderful refreshing way to start the day.

I've fallen of the wagon regarding my other workouts though. I'm to lazy at night to do them. That stops tonight. I WILL get it in tonight. Those I need to do at night as I can't be doing things like jumping jacks and other "noisy" type of moves at 5:30 in the morning when I have neighbors below me and a roommate on the other side of my wall! :tongue: My plan though is to switch that to the morning as well, when I move in 4 weeks. I will be in basement apartment and there will be no one to complain about any noise!

Make a plan for when it works best for you and keep yourself determined to do it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I fell off my routine about 2 and a half months ago. I am miserable. I am sure I put all the 6lbs I lost back on (to scared to get on the scale) and I am letting all the bad in my life get to me. I have slacked on eating and exercising. Before I was getting up at about 5am and in front of the TV with the video on by 5:10am. But now I just hit snooze a few times and then turn off the alarm and go back to sleep. I have been upsetting my fiance since I do this EVERY morning. So what time do y'all get up and workout? And what is your motivation to get up if you are not a morning person like me besides the obvious reason to look amazing. :wink:

Maintaining goal weight is my motivation. I have 2 choices: exercise everyday to earn bonus calories.....or eat like I'm on a diet everyday. Exercise gives me some wiggle room.

Pick a time of day that you can be consistent (anytime of day). I workout after work....so not a morning person. Try baby stepping it. Wake up 10 minutes early.....do 10 minutes of something (10 Minute Solutions DVDs are good for this). Keep adding sections as you learn to wake up earlier. Who "dreads" 10 minutes of exercise?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. Sometimes at 5:30 am during the week, sometimes at 8:30 pm during the week, sometimes at 7:30 am or 10:30 am on the weekend.
  • DragonFly_
    DragonFly_ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person - I can barely get up in time for work everyday. I (luckily) have a gym at work, so I go on my lunch break. Its a nice mid-day break and if I can't go outside to run, they do offer some classes during that time (Pilates, Xtreme Fit). I would try to go again after work, but by the time I get dinner finished and dogs fed, I cannot help but answer the call of my couch and whatever book I'm reading.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I start my workouts around 8-9pm, after my kids go to bed :) I have no energy to wake up in the morning!
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Lunch time. Hate working out in mornings.
    Not a morning person.
    Hate mornings.
    Curse the dawn! :laugh:
    Lunch time I have the perfect energy level, and it's actually something I look forward to. Working out is my favourite part of the day :drinker:
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio at 6 am - weights at 6 pm ish.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 6:00 during the week. I've thought about getting up earlier to do a workout, but the snooze button is too tempting and I have yet to actually ever get up early lol.

I workout after work, usually starting about 5:30pm. I go right after work. If I went home first, I'd be too tempted to just sit in my chair all night. And even if I'm not working, I can't find the motivation to workout earlier in the day and I still end up exercising in the evening.

I figure it doesn't matter what time of day I workout, the point is I AM working out.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I normally wake up at 3:30 am working out by 4 am. It's not motivation that gets me up to do this, it's part of my routine. If I wait til later to workout it throws off the rest of my routine.

But that's what works for me, you need to find a time that you can be consistent and get it done.
  • DragonFly_
    DragonFly_ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I figure it doesn't matter what time of day I workout, the point is I AM working out.

Very true!
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I love to work out in the morning. Gym is less packed and the temp is cool. However, now that I have a child I can't do that. I'm on summer break from work but when I go back to work I won't be able to go until about 8pm. After I get him to sleep so I won't lose any time with him and after I've been home so I can relax a bit.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I work out at the crack of dawn, but you already knew that :). Force yourself to not hit snooze and just get up and do it that first 4, 5, 6, etc days and it will get MUCH easier after that. It's a habit now, and even on my rest days I find myself waking up earlier than I have to.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Up at 4:30... Running by 5....

Move your alarm far enough away you have to get up to turn it off... and put your running shoes on it.